if they trade the goose

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gosainters66
Club Player

if they trade the goose

if they trade the goose what do you think he is worth

SAINTS FOR EVER
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

After not managing to get a game all year, not a lot.
Shame on the selectors for not fitting him in for even one match.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Carlton need a good strong defender.....

Goose+1st rounder for Fev..

JABBER
Club Player

if they trade the goose

Since Max is gone Goose might play next year will be a lot fitter you must remember it takes a long time to get over the injury he had.

trevor barker
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Would Goose still want to be with us after our treatment of him in 2009?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: if they trade the goose

JABBER wrote:Since Max is gone Goose might play next year will be a lot fitter you must remember it takes a long time to get over the injury he had.
same theory applies to X.

X is a hard running defender, although not a key defender like Goose.

Still, I'm more confident getting output from X than Goose.

I reckon Goose is 50/50 whether or not he'll provide value in 2010, or even be at the club!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: if they trade the goose

saintspremiers wrote:
JABBER wrote:Since Max is gone Goose might play next year will be a lot fitter you must remember it takes a long time to get over the injury he had.
same theory applies to X.

X is a hard running defender, although not a key defender like Goose.

Still, I'm more confident getting output from X than Goose.

I reckon Goose is 50/50 whether or not he'll provide value in 2010, or even be at the club!
Firstly I want both at the CLUB

But it amuses me that someone yesterday suggested that we go after Nathan Brown- 5 years older and having suffered a very similiar in jury to Matty- :roll: has never fully recovered the form he had prior-
Mat has benefited from an almost full year to gain confidence, stamina and regain muscle developmetn in that leg- till he twinged a hammy late in the year.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
JABBER
Club Player

if they trade goose

Goose is a saints player through and through and takes the good with the bad who do we play if a tall defender go down next year injured this year we were lucky not to have many injuries and goose missed out But he has time to do a pre season and force hes way back in the team

trevor barker
Foz
Club Player

A guy in front of me at the Saints Family Day on Sunday at Jihad asked Goose Maguire how his leg was at the autograph session?

Goose "It's Cherry (ripe). The best I've been....EVER."
Supporter said bad luck on not playing...
Goose "I'm just REALLY sick of not playing"

I felt a bit sick when i heard this. The frustration really shone through.

GrumpyOne

Goose is a required player now that Maxie has retired.

Whether he gets a game or not in the firsts is totally up to him.

saintnick12
Club Player

I love the Goose and hope he stays, but will certainly understand if he chooses to go. Ross kept saying there is a place for him going forward but will be interesting to see what happens. Matt did say in the social club during the year when all the speculation was in the papers, that he wanted to stay and would sign if the club offered him a contract. Hope so, but then again another season of disappointment in not getting a chance may be too much for him.
Wondering if they should maybe try him forward in that third forward position. Always been a great mark and kicked a few goals in a few games this year. Less taxing maybe on his body.
Just wishful thinking by me really. I really love him and will be sad to see him go, but can't begrudge him the opportunity to further his career.

aussiejones
Club Player

Needs another talk with Ross

Geezer
Club Player

goose is staying.
he will not be traded.
zac is still a work in progress and if gooses gets his leg speed back . . .he could be a utiility player at both ends of the ground.

#35 - Thanks for the Memories.
21 Great Season's
Simply Remarkable
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Would Goose still want to be with us after our treatment of him in 2009?
Or after our fantastic treatment of him in 2007/2008??

Seriously, the club has backed him when many others wouldnt... it would be a shame to have him walk out on us now.

Also, in a fox sports article which someone linked on here yesterday, Westaway stated that everyone is signed and they are looking forward to next year. No specifics were mentioned, so it would be interesting to know if this was just a throw-away line, or the truth... if true, it would mean the likes of Ball, Goose and X Clarke, etc have come to terms... Good news if true...

Found the article:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 11,00.html
Last edited by thirty-seven!? on Mon 28 Sep 2009 12:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintnick12
Club Player

I can't imagine the club giving Goose or X more than a one year deal...up to them if they take it. Goose in particular will be sought after by other clubs. Question is whether they will play him or want him only as a back up...if thats the case he may as well stay put. He is a very passionate man Goose, and close with the core of our team of which he was such an important part, so lets hope another preseason injury free helps him get back. All will be revealed over the next few weeks I suppose. When is trade week???

spert
Saintsational Legend

Goose and X are now players with chronic injury problems and I don't think any coach will take a punt on building teams around that kind of player.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Hope he stays, he seems such a great club man.

I think it was Caro that highlighted that Josh Gibson nominating that he wants to go to Hawthorn helps us keep him, it has probably lessened his value on the market.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

I'd be amazed if Goose left.

IMO Goose needs to drop a few kgs of muscle which would hopfully give him some of his pace back, with a yard or two of extra pace he would become alot more versatile.

Goose needs to be a player who can play on a range of forwards, smallish and tall. And potentially go forward if required.

Goose is 1cm taller than Dempster yet he's 11kgs heavier.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Would Goose still want to be with us after our treatment of him in 2009?
Whats wrong with the way he was treated???? Did we not pay him? This is St Kilda 2009 not St Kilda mid 80's. YOu get a game because you earned it not because of who you are. Goose is one of 40 others on our list, you are judged on merit.

IMO we have treated him really well. We supported him through 2 years of injuries, he has to fight to regain his spot now