Ross Lyon plots flag path for St Kilda (Herald Sun)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon plots flag path for St Kilda (Herald Sun)

We are in capable hands...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/r ... 5780016539

ST KILDA coach Ross Lyon started the campaign to deliver an AFL premiership less than an hour after watching one slip away.

Lyon laid out a brutally basic plan, without concessions or excuses, even as he praised the collective effort of his gutted players.

"If anyone's not up for the challenge, they can walk in and tell me and I'll move them on," he said at the MCG last night.

"But if they're up for the challenge, we'll work hard, we'll focus session by session, moment by moment, and then worry about Round 1 when it gets there.

"The only constant in football is change. We feel we've got a game plan that stands up anywhere, any conditions, any time and we think we can make it better.

"We'll continue to add draft talent, trade for talent, improve our training, improve our medical. We'll leave no stone unturned to get better."

Beej
Saintsational Legend

I love that man. We will win a flag with him in charge.

If we ever lose Rossco, boy, they're big shoes to fill.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ross Lyon plots flag path for St Kilda (Herald Sun)

SainterK wrote:"We'll leave no stone unturned to get better."
yep, that's what i want to hear.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Love the Lyon.

But yes we need to improve:

Cats look like being strong still
Dogs could be better or worse.
Hawks will be better.
Crows should be better...
So that is somne stiff competition.

Pies do not worry me tough...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
chook23
Saintsational Legend

whilst it is obvious the planning will give us the best chance to have another crack it is NO GUARANTEE in 2010.............

Thats why it still hurts so much from Saturday

we did not seize the chance

How long before the next one??

At this stage it is bitter disappointment

lets hope it is not pure disappointment and regret we did not get another chance over the coming years

I hope the pain gives the players the drive to make it there again.

And other things fall in to place....injury (lack of) draw... (many mentioned we had a gone one in 2009 (maybe not days/times but the opposition)

saint4life
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Love the Lyon.

But yes we need to improve:

Cats look like being strong still YES
Dogs could be better or worse. YES
Hawks will be better. NOT SO SURE ABOUT HAWKS
Crows should be better... LOSING A LOT OF OLDIES
So that is somne stiff competition.

Pies do not worry me tough AGREE. THINK THEY WILL FALL. BIG OVERACHIEVERS IMO...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
saintly_safes
Club Player

chook23 wrote:whilst it is obvious the planning will give us the best chance to have another crack it is NO GUARANTEE in 2010.............

lets hope it is not pure disappointment and regret we did not get another chance over the coming years

And other things fall in to place....injury (lack of) draw... (many mentioned we had a gone one in 2009 (maybe not days/times but the opposition)

Yeah I feel the same,just hope we can have another year like 2009 but not fall at the final hurdle next time

bozza1980
Club Player

OLB wrote:I love that man. We will win a flag with him in charge.

If we ever lose Rossco, boy, they're big shoes to fill.
You read my mind.

We are going to get there, c'mon boys!!!!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I wish he had moved Dempster back (Chapman) Gilbert to Byrnes) and Raph fwd (HFF/Mackie)during the third.....then I would have loved him more.....

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Have thought about t6his long and hard but having put myself in his shoes I reckon I'd be saying 'We are winning everywhere that counts, the scoreboard will look after itself. patience. Patience. Don't panic.'

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
maz1685
Club Player

saintly_safes wrote:
chook23 wrote:whilst it is obvious the planning will give us the best chance to have another crack it is NO GUARANTEE in 2010.............

Yeah I feel the same,just hope we can have another year like 2009 but not fall at the final hurdle next time
I doubt we'll have another 20-2 H&A season but I think the coaching staff, players etc. will be far better prepared for 2010, eg. player fitness, training regime and all that stuff. Geelong looked gone towards the end of the season but clearly were not, they learned a lot about the players and how they would hold up and I think that the Saints will too which I believe will be our improvement in 2010.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Agreed more flexibility req'd

BigMart wrote:I wish he had moved Dempster back (Chapman) Gilbert to Byrnes) and Raph fwd (HFF/Mackie)during the third.....then I would have loved him more.....
LYON is a great coach but you have to wonder what a bit more flexibility and attacking mindset would have achieved on Saturday.

For me CHAPMAN was always going to be a danger and should have been assigned BAKER early on. BAKEs would have smothered him.

DEMPSTER wasn't giving us much up forward - why not rotate him with FISHER who had little affect on the game being shut down by ROOKE.

GODDARD & Dal SANTO should have rotated through our forward zone similiar to CHAPMAN/ABLETT.

Why not try McQUALTER on BYRNES and CLARKE forward.

KOSI or BLAKE into the ruck - late in third & fourth when our midfield began to tire.

IMO our matchups were too inflexible and reliant on the previous sucess of their structures.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

even though we won in ever stat accept goal kicking accuracy???

think about it ffs

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:even though we won in ever stat accept goal kicking accuracy???

think about it ffs
Exactly. The cake was baked. The icing didn't stick.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

matrixcutter wrote:even though we won in ever stat accept goal kicking accuracy???

think about it ffs
Exactly!

The game plan and structure in place, while it was not perfect would have still won us the grand final had we converted a few more of our many chances.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
spert
Saintsational Legend

No matter what happened on the stats sheets, we lost, and the more you look at the stats ( see todays Age) we blew it big time in the forward line..no team has had as many forward entries as we had, and lost, Geelong killed us in contested possession which means individuals were beaten in one-on-one contests -another area I'm sure RL will work on. Anyway , we can only get better in 2010 which is scary for the rest of the comp