Draft prediction for St Kilda by Mark Stevens

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintlee
Club Player

Draft prediction for St Kilda by Mark Stevens

ST KILDA

PICK 32: Jesse Crichton, 18, Tassie Mariners, midfielder, 183cm 66kg Surely the Saints will go with youth and this kid might slip beyond 30. Creative and finds space in traffic.

OTHER PICKS: 60, 64, 80

CLUB NEEDS: Andrew Lovett helps, but the Saints need more run and carry through the midfield. A mid-sized leading forward would be handy too.

CLUB SAYS: "Given that we have traded pick 16 for Andrew Lovett and brought in potential tall forward Tom Walsh from Ireland, we will look to the best talented player at our first pick.''

John Peake, St Kilda recruiting manager.

Full article:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... 5794866053

I don't know much about the draft crop this year, find it hard to care much given the crappy picks we have left and the shallowness of the talent....but I am curious if anyone knows anything more about this Jesse Crichton?

yipper
SS Life Member

Jesse Crichton (Tasmania) – Draft Profile

Height: 184cm

Weight: 72kg

Preferred foot: Left

Role: Midfield/Wing

Potential: 5.5-7.5/10

Video Footage

Strengths

> Very clean hands below the knees

> Very good ball user by hand – sharp reflexes, neat, appropriate power and good hurt factor

> Good vision and poise in traffic – good extractor in traffic and has the ability to create time with his evasive skills with creative handballing ability to regularly release players into space

> Excellent evasive ability/balance and very good leap

> Good all-round ballwinning ability both in close and in space

> Very good defensive work-ethic – chases, tackles, pressures and does the 1%ers with good impact - run down tackles are a speciality

> Plenty of tenacity and courage - sticks his head over the footy consistently - surprisingly effective and prolific tackler

> Good pace off the mark (seemed to have more zip last year, but still better than DC results for 20m) and good top speed/ability to cover ground (and very good closing speed), impressive leap and exceptional evasiveness (and defensive agility) – capable of being a creative and dynamic playmaker that can use his athleticism effectively both in congestion and space (saw much more of it last year)

Weaknesses

> Lack of physical strength and very skinny build – easily pushed off the ball by bigger opponents in contests – would be concerns about how well he’ll bulk up

> Below average kicking reliability and one-sidedness

> Average running capacity, but given his lack of strength and size he needs to have much more – is prone to going missing within games

Other

> OK-decent LF kick – typically good weighting over short-med range, can get good depth but not consistently or reliable, but lacks power, seems one sided and hasn’t got slightly below average reliability (prone to shanks)

> Slight reach advantage for his height

> Very good BA U18 year in 2008 where he thrived on the step up from division 2 to 1 in the 2008 U18 championships, doubling his output (and producing his best performance against Vic Metro) – however not quite as impressive this year and struggled at times with extra attention – not as dynamic

> I see his best position through the midfield, but with his build and frame it may be a reach at AFL – could alternatively play off a wing or HBF (if he improves kicking reliability)

> Physically he isn’t ready for consistent AFL action next year due to his build

> Has senior experience in TSFL

> AIS-AFL squad member

> Played in 2 U18 championships (2008 and 2009)

Overall

Crichton is a dynamic medium midfield option, who despite showing a lot of promise last year as a bottom ager, hasn’t kicked on as much this year as a top ager. At worst he will struggle to bulk up and won’t fire much of a shot at AFL, at best he could probably be a top 150 player in the competition. I see his value as a mid second round to early 3rd round selection.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Saints94
SS Life Member

I like the sound of him but i don't think he will last to pick 32.

yipper
SS Life Member

The big concern would be he is clearly one-sided, and not as good as you want on that good side!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
saintlee
Club Player

Thanks Yipper, thats exactly what I was looking for!

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

so he's a s*** kick and he's too skinny... hmmm brad howard anyone? Don't liek the sound of him

Saints94
SS Life Member

I'm hoping that Bastanic is still there at pick 32.

yipper
SS Life Member

Great little tackler however. Amazing how many lightly framed blokes can tackle well in this game. He obviously has courage to burn and is quick. Can find the footy and has composure so he is not a complete dud. But at AFL level - I would think we need good finishers in our team. Blokles who can hit a target under pressure on either foot in big games. Which we can reasonably assume the Saints will play in plenty of big games over the next few seasons.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Ryan Harwood is a great young player to im hoping he slips through to pick 32 aswell.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Do we get to even use pick 80 because of the room on our list?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Weaknesses

> Lack of physical strength and very skinny build – easily pushed off the ball by bigger opponents in contests – would be concerns about how well he’ll bulk up

> Below average kicking reliability and one-sidedness

> Average running capacity, but given his lack of strength and size he needs to have much more – is prone to going missing within games
the three vital weaknesses that say - no place at st kilda!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Unless we have pick 1, there are no guarantees who we will get and as soon as another draft pick is publicly revealed as our potential pick, the less likely it is that we will get him.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:Do we get to even use pick 80 because of the room on our list?
At List Lodgement No1 space had only been cleared for 2 picks in the National Draft or Pre-Season draft.
That means picks 32 and 60 only at this stage.

More space can be created ahead of the National Draft at List Lodgement No2 due 13 November or ahead of the Pre-Season Draft at List Lodgement No3 due 2 December.

Steven Baker could also be moved from veteran inside the list of 38 senior players to veteran outside the list.
This would allow a further National pick(No64) or Pre-Season pick.
It would sacrifice a potential rookie pick and option to nominate a rookie for selection (Nominated Rookie).

Note: a senior pick's full base pay counts against the salary cap.
A rookie base pay does not count against the salary cap but 50% only of a Nominated Rookie does count.
Last edited by ace on Fri 06 Nov 2009 1:49pm, edited 4 times in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Saints94
SS Life Member

ace wrote:
At List Lodgement No1 space had only been cleared for 2 picks in the National Draft or Pre-Season draft.

More space can be created ahead of the National Draft at List Lodgement No2 due 13 November or ahead of the Pre-Season Draft at List Lodgement No3 due 2 December.

Steven Baker could also be moved from veteran inside the list of 38 senior players to veteran outside the list.
This would allow a further National (No64) or Pre-Season pick.
It would sacrifice a potential rookie pick and option to nominated a rookie for selection (Nominated Rookie).
We should do it no hesitation.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote:
ace wrote:

It would sacrifice a potential rookie pick and option to nominated a rookie for selection (Nominated Rookie).
See my edits at "Note" for reasons why the club may not.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Saints94
SS Life Member

ace wrote:
Saints94 wrote:
ace wrote:

See my edits at "Note" for reasons why the club may not.
Oh now i see our problem.

FraserGehrig
Club Player

Love to see Crito go to the Sainters, played all my junior footy against him. Was nothin special until when he turned around 16, then he became a very good footballer in the matter of a year. He is also a Saints supporter so I'm sure we are his preferred club also :wink:

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Mentioned him a few weeks ago in http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=58227

Come draft day I'll be very pleased to see one of Jesse Crichton, Ryan Bastinac or Mitchell Duncan slip to our first pick.

Crichton is a tackling and pressuring machine which means he would be right at home under Lyon's game-plan. Good in close with his hands and has a strong kick but it can sometimes let him down (tends to bomb away at times). However relatively speaking he does have quite good skills and is creative when he has a little time. Added (irrelevant) bonus is that he barracks for St Kilda.
Those of you dismissing him due to size/skills really need to check him out. His size leaves plenty of room for improvement (something recruiters love) - his skills are fairly decent, I believe he just has a bit of a habit of bombing away which gets noticed and leaves an impression.

Can't expect to get the perfectly rounded player at selection 32 - Crichton is the one of the ideal kind of players for our development staff to work with. Unfortunately I think he should probably be taken in the 20s, thus we miss out.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I imagine we will be leaving our options open for a nominated rookie, keeping in mind Tommy Walsh.

Saintersss
Club Player

Would be absolutely rapt if we got him... but will most likely been taken earlier.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

i think we will get him for sure.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:i think we will get him for sure.
Only because Mark Stevens says so.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Don't think we need players who are one sided and who have issues on their good side...you get slaughtered with turnovers from players who can't kick to a target.....

I'd be very surprised if we wasted pick 30 on a GOP....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Saintersss
Club Player

bobmurray wrote:Don't think we need players who are one sided and who have issues on their good side...you get slaughtered with turnovers from players who can't kick to a target.....

I'd be very surprised if we wasted pick 30 on a GOP....
Have you ever watched him play? Or are you just basing this on what has been written?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I was hoping Scully would get through to 32.

Barring that I was hoping we could use 32 on Judd or Gary Ablett Jnr however I would settle for John Brown

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)