nothing to show

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gosainters66
Club Player

nothing to show

luke ball and matty maquire gone and nothing to show for them , i'm dissapointed to say the least , could have been handled better imo

SAINTS FOR EVER
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

How?

The Ball trade was handled as best as it could of. We worked with what we were working with.

Maguire was delisted. I dont agree with his delisting, but the only way to handle this situation better was to not delist him.....A much more black and white scenario.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Obviously nobody wanted Maguire...

As for Ball, the best Collingwood could offer was pick 25, had it been pick 21 we would have done the deal... simple as that.

The club has handled it self fantastically IMO, sure we have lost a few good players but we weren't bullied by the bigger boys, it is a sign of strength and the players we lost are expendable...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

No-one wanted Goose and no-one wanted to pay market value for Luke. Could have been handled better? By whom?

In the Ball case I see it as a short term loss but a much greater gain in the medium to longer term for St Kilda !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

gosainters66
Club Player

bombers wanted MM

SAINTS FOR EVER
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:No-one wanted Goose and no-one wanted to pay market value for Luke. Cooukd have been handled better? By whom?

In the Ball case I see it as a short term loss but a much greater gain in the medium to longer term for St Kilda !!
Yes, lets just hope he doesn't get to Collingwood because the backlash from the 'hindsight police' (pie supporters) will be unbearable.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

gosainters66 wrote:bombers wanted MM
I recall that they said they were mildly interested. Did they put a firm offer to St Kilda? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Can you show us the source where the Saints were offered anything for Goose during Trade Week?

Absolutely nothing discussed on here or in the press about a possible trade and any offer.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

They didn't try very hard.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
yipper
SS Life Member

Did they?? Then why didn't they trade for him???

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
gosainters66
Club Player

dont get me wrong ,i personally dont think they are great players but we still could have got something 4 them , i personally think that pick 26 would have been good value for ball ,

SAINTS FOR EVER
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

"Luke ball and matty maquire gone and nothing to show for them , i'm dissapointed to say the least , could have been handled better imo"

Add to that Pick 60 for Xavier Clark. Not our best year.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Eastern wrote:No-one wanted Goose and no-one wanted to pay market value for Luke. Cooukd have been handled better? By whom?

Yes, lets just hope he doesn't get to Collingwood because the backlash from the 'hindsight police' (pie supporters) will be unbearable.
Eddiewood and Darcy have already might a few sly comments about the no trade.

The club handled it very well, the only problem is we will never hear the end of it if he ends up at eddiewood

I love this club
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I don't know where people get this pick 25 (not 26) from. Collingwood's first pick is #30. I don't go for the story that Collingwood were going to trade with Nth Melb for it. THEY DIDN'T, therefore they DIDN'T HAVE IT TO TRADE WITH !!

gosainters66
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
Can you show us the source where the Saints were offered anything for Goose during Trade Week?

Absolutely nothing discussed on here or in the press about a possible trade and any offer.

if you want a source you might as well not be on this forum because most of every thing we talk about is heard via the media , realistically its only hear say , so if you want facts ring the club and see if they tell you every thing that happens in trade week , i dont think you will get very far

SAINTS FOR EVER
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:I don't know where people get this pick 25 (not 26) from. Collingwood's first pick is #30. I don't go for the story that Collingwood were going to trade with Nth Melb for it. THEY DIDN'T, therefore they DIDN'T HAVE IT TO TRADE WITH !!
Correct, and whats not mentioned in the whining from the filth is that they tries to get pick 26 from north but again could not come up with a deal. Seems to happen to them more than other clubs

I love this club
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
Eastern wrote:I don't know where people get this pick 25 (not 26) from. Collingwood's first pick is #30. I don't go for the story that Collingwood were going to trade with Nth Melb for it. THEY DIDN'T, therefore they DIDN'T HAVE IT TO TRADE WITH !!
Correct, and whats not mentioned in the whining from the filth is that they tries to get pick 26 from north but again could not come up with a deal. Seems to happen to them more than other clubs
I'm not sure if it was supposed to be pick 25 or 26.

However I'm pretty sure it went like this.

St Kilda tell collingwood they will trade Ball for a pick that can secure them Everitt.

Collingwood offer Wellingham and pick 30 for 21 to North

North decline, offer pick 25 (or 26) in return

Collingwood run this past St Kilda, they say no.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
yipper
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:

St Kilda tell collingwood they will trade Ball for a pick that can secure them Everitt.

Probably cos pick 25 or 26 would not secure Everitt.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:

Because St Kilda were dealing in "Good Faith" with the Bulldogs. The Bulldogs said #21 for Everett, nothing less. #25 or #26 was never going to get that deal done so NO DEAL. Collingwood knew that !!

markp
Saintsational Legend

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Melbourne willing to use pick 18 to get Ball if he is willing?

Doesn't this prove the filth were trying to shaft us?

What we have to 'show' is something far less easily quantified than money or draft picks, but much more valuable.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
Stillwaiting wrote:

Because St Kilda were dealing in "Good Faith" with the Bulldogs. The Bulldogs said #21 for Everett, nothing less. #25 or #26 was never going to get that deal done so NO DEAL. Collingwood knew that !!
Lyon said this after in his press conference. Thanked Essendon and Freo for dealing in good faith, to me that was aimed at eddiewoods inability to deal with other clubs reasonably. Want it all and will give nothing in return

I love this club
saintlee
Club Player

Getting nothing for Ball sucks big time.....but the decision to not trade him to Collingwood was based on principle, which I support....their offer was total inadequate and they knew it

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

It will be interesting to see Armitage go head to head with Ball. I think he'll acquit himself very well. They're about the same speed, as hard although Armo is a longer kick and can kick a goal which was Balls major issue.

Another opportunity awaits!
S.A Saint
Club Player

Moccha wrote:It will be interesting to see Armitage go head to head with Ball. I think he'll acquit himself very well. They're about the same speed, as hard although Armo is a longer kick and can kick a goal which was Balls major issue.
when they are head to head watch armo rough him up all game...have a look at the hawks game with armo and hodge..i love the fact that he doesn't take s*** from anyone and get stuck into everyone....

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

The only one who'll have "nothing to show" at the end of his career will be Ball. It's such a ridiculous waste going to the Tigers! Unbelievable!! :roll:

I could almost understand Collingwood (almost), but certainly not Melbourne or the Tigers.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!