My best st kilda team 1975--2010

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

My best st kilda team 1975--2010

B J DUNNE D FRAWLEY CAPT M HUDGTON

HB T BARKER VC V PEROVIC R ELPHINGSTONE

C N WINMAR G BURNS G CUNNINGHAM

HF N RIEWOLDT S LOEWE G YOUNG

F S MILNE A LOCKETT F GEHRIG

R C DIETRICH R HARVEY N BURKE

I B BREEN LHAYES P EVERITT A THOMPSON

I hope i didnt leave anyone out

trevor barker
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Id have Glenn Elliott in the middle, or was he too early?

Statsman
Club Player

It's always tough to compare eras, but Burns ahead of Hayes in the centre? Lenny is an absolute gun A-grade midfielder. Burns was a very good footballer, but nowhere near Lenny Hayes's calibre.

I'd also think Fisher or Goddard would be close to selection with Elphingstone looking a bit shaky on the HBF. If they were lined up against the shelter shed at school, I'll be calling BJ's name ahead of Elphingstone.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

How many of that lot spent their career at StKilda and how many moved on to another club.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:How many of that lot spent their career at StKilda and how many moved on to another club.....
Perovic went to Carlton;
Everitt went to Sydney;
Big Carl went to Melbourne and came back;
Nicky finished at Footscray (but that doesn't count. Worst decision ever made by Saints).

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
bobmurray wrote:How many of that lot spent their career at StKilda and how many moved on to another club.....
Perovic went to Carlton;
Everitt went to Sydney;
Big Carl went to Melbourne and came back;
Nicky finished at Footscray (but that doesn't count. Worst decision ever made by Saints).
Lockett went to Sydney

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

My recollection of Perovic's short time at St Kilda was that he mostly played on a wing and it wasn't until he went to Carlton that he became a great CHB?

Glen Elliott was, IMO, a better centreman than Burnsy (Burnsy was much tougher) and Lenny is better than both of them (is he a centreman or on-baller?)

And for me the biggest problem with picking an arbitrary date range is that there are players who played much better before 1975 and are included in this team.
Big Carl for example was never the same player after he came back from Melbourne (becasue of injury/age) as he was before he went there.
Without wanting to be accused of heresy, his actual games for us in the timeframe of this team would not get him selected in the team, let alone as first ruck.

And if we are allowing that criteria (games prior to the period), why not select Jesaulenko who whilst not much chop as a player when he came to the Saints (again becasue of age) is an acknowledged superstar and legend of the VFL?

As an interesting aside, when trying to pick 'best ever Saints teams' for various periods, I always struggle with the CHB position from the mid 60's onwards. It seems that amongst all the fabulous players we've had in the last 50 years, there have been very few who played CHB. All other positions have multiple options.

aussiejones
Club Player

"It seems that amongst all the fabulous players we've had in the last 50 years, there have been very few who played CHB."

Niel Roberts wasnt that bad

St.Rob8
Club Player

After this year Dal Santo has to be ahead of Andrew Thompson. Also would a fit Hamill edge out Milne? Loewe, Hamill, Gherig and Lockett in the same forward line would have Glen Archer crying for his Mummy, especially if the rest of the team was playing Saints Footy.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

aussiejones wrote:"It seems that amongst all the fabulous players we've had in the last 50 years, there have been very few who played CHB."

Neil was a fabulous player who retired in 1962. So technically you are correct - he played 48 years ago.
But name me the next few great CHBs we have had?
Synman was a good player (I wouldn't call him great though)
Then who?

PJ
SS Life Member

Robbie Muir anyone? :wink:

The current crop would have to give it a nudge

Montagna, Dal, BJ, Chips (better HBF than elf I'm afraid)

Just a side question - how would you rate Bakes against J Dunne?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Grant Thomas made the Victorian team as a CHB in the 80's,he had a couple of really good years and then bombed big time

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

I don't think you put perovic in side

S Fisher, R Morris and one M Maguire

are worthy for chb

big Carl was a spent force by then although he came back for a couple of good years

St Loxton
Club Player

Geoff Cunningham, yeah he was a gun player especially on the muddy grounds. Remember watching him getting in and under, and on those wet days picking the ball and offloading it as if it was dry. He did wear the number 5 did'nt he? Like another contender for that position Aussie Jones.

Hunter Clark 2024 StKilda Saints Premiership captain.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

St Loxton wrote:Geoff Cunningham, yeah he was a gun player especially on the muddy grounds. Remember watching him getting in and under, and on those wet days picking the ball and offloading it as if it was dry. He did wear the number 5 did'nt he? Like another contender for that position Aussie Jones.
I remember when Baldock was appointed coach he said was concerned about Joffa's skills....does anyone remember what his skill level was...

markinUSA
SS Life Member

I was still a kid when Breen retired. I remember his last game, but don't remember enough of his games to make an informed comment. How good was he?

And I'm not just talking about his ability to kick a wobbly punt on Grand Final day!

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
St.Rob8
Club Player

The Seconds?
B J Gram S Fisher B K Lawrence

HB D Grant M Maguire B Goddard

C L Montagna G Elliott A Jones

HF Hamill B Hall R Morris

F S Foschini Kosi R Owen

Foll J Sarau N Dal Santo B Duperouzel

Int S Baker G Colling J Peckett G Sidebottom

Hardest to fill were small forwards. Any suggestions? Also was Max Crow or G Sidebottom better at CHB than Maguire?

bergsone
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:
aussiejones wrote:"It seems that amongst all the fabulous players we've had in the last 50 years, there have been very few who played CHB."

Neil was a fabulous player who retired in 1962. So technically you are correct - he played 48 years ago.
Then who?
IMO J McIntosh was best i seen inj knee put an end to that.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Then who?
IMO J McIntosh was best i seen inj knee put an end to that.
John McIntosh was the most skilled 'big man' I had ever seen when he played for us. He came across as a ruckman and we played him as a ruckrover. I don't recall him ever playing as a permanent CHB?

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

St.Rob8 wrote:After this year Dal Santo has to be ahead of Andrew Thompson. Also would a fit Hamill edge out Milne? Loewe, Hamill, Gherig and Lockett in the same forward line would have Glen Archer crying for his Mummy, especially if the rest of the team was playing Saints Footy.
Them's fighting words :wink: Sorry, I love Dal, but I can't have that he is better than Thommo. Thommo was alot tougher than Dal and was an absolute gun in his hay day.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:
St.Rob8 wrote:After this year Dal Santo has to be ahead of Andrew Thompson. Also would a fit Hamill edge out Milne? Loewe, Hamill, Gherig and Lockett in the same forward line would have Glen Archer crying for his Mummy, especially if the rest of the team was playing Saints Footy.
Them's fighting words :wink: Sorry, I love Dal, but I can't have that he is better than Thommo. Thommo was alot tougher than Dal and was an absolute gun in his hay day.
Surely it isnt the 1st of April. Anyway that is really funny.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:
Not half as funny as most of your posts though tugger..the difference is though , bev hasn't conned anyone.....yet..... :lol:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:
Not half as funny as most of your posts though tugger..the difference is though , bev hasn't conned anyone.....yet..... :lol:
Sorry i must have missed the posts where I conned anyone. Anyway if you think Thommo is better than Dal then I really wonder about your humour as well.

Longwayfromhome
Club Player

Barry Breen played 300 games for the Saints. Is in the team of the century and will never be forgotten due to that wobbly behind.(The point not his arse).
Not a bad Cv but I still wouldn't have in my best team for this period. (Or any period for that matter).
Muir was a marvel. Sidebottom a game breaker. McAdam was all class, Sarau left nothing on the park and Frankie Peckett won many admirers with his all or nothing attitude. Hamill should be in any nominated St Kilda team from 2001 onwards and Goddard would be close to the best half back I have ever seen
By the way, IMO Thompson was a far better player than Dal at this point in time.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Thommo won B & F. In Dal's best year so far he was 3rd in Brownlow behind Ben Cousins and his WC mate. Dal probably the more skilled, but Thommo was one of the best stealers of the oppositions ball I have seen.