Improvers And Smokies for 2010..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milton66
SS Life Member

Improvers And Smokies for 2010..

Not sure if this has been discussed over my sabbatical, but here goes...

Now that the dust has settled in terms of list management, who do you think will be improvers, add improvement, or be a smokie in 2010?

The obvious change is Armo for Ball.

But we now have Lovett and also Smith.

Someone has got to make way...

Players I reckon are on the edge are Milne, King, Dempster, Clarke, Gwilt and Eddy.

Improvement to come from Armo, Gearly, Big Mac and maybe Steven, and Lovett.

Smokies which may settle in the top 22 IMO are Peake (don't write him off yet), Smith if fit... and Walsh a longshot.

Not sure if Lynch is ready yet, well he may be ready, but to actually get a game in this squad won't be easy.

It will be interesting to see what another preseason will do for Clarke.

Thoughts?

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Saintersss
Club Player

Geary to cement his spot. I think he is underated by supporters as most supporters seem to think of Armo and Steven, but Geary is the only real youngster who has shown something. Played very well in the first half of the season. Tackles well, gets the ball, uses it pretty well and can defiently snag one.

Also think McEvoy will cement his spot and Kosi and Goddard will go to another level.

And my smoky is Will Johnson, not sure why, but just have a good feeling about this bloke. I reackon he will get 5-10games and really impress, at least I hope so.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I have no doubt that Steven will have a big year. He is much fitter than the previous 2 years and will have a great year. Armo may come on but I still dont get Geary and Eddy. Hope I am wrong but dont see what they give us.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i hope geary has a blinder year, gets plenty of game time and cements a spot in the rotation.

did you not watch him ?
he did ok for his first run in the big league when he played

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrixcutter wrote:i hope geary has a blinder year, gets plenty of game time and cements a spot in the rotation.

did you not watch him ?
he did ok for his first run in the big league when he played
I would have thought i have seen him play every game he has played but IM still not sure what he gives us. Like I said, hope I am wrong. On a positive note Steven will be a star in a year or two.

saintnick12
Club Player

Saintersss wrote:Geary to cement his spot. I think he is underated by supporters as most supporters seem to think of Armo and Steven, but Geary is the only real youngster who has shown something. Played very well in the first half of the season. Tackles well, gets the ball, uses it pretty well and can defiently snag one.

Also think McEvoy will cement his spot and Kosi and Goddard will go to another level.

And my smoky is Will Johnson, not sure why, but just have a good feeling about this bloke. I reackon he will get 5-10games and really impress, at least I hope so.
I agree Geary will be stepping up. He played the first 14 games in a row actually...got dropped after the Geelong game and never got back in. I think he may have struggled physically as he is still young and relatively light framed. It will be interesting to see how he goes with another preseason under his belt. I prefer him in the side over Eddy. On a side note I was very pleased with him being allocated number 14. My two year old has a number 14 on his jumper and we were debating whether to try and change the number this year etc, but thought we would wait until the number allocations. Very happy with Geary...won't be changing a thing.

Also agree this should be a big year for McEvoy, Armo, and Steven. Many people are talking about these guys. It would be great to have them all in, but others will need to make way. McEvoy for King is obvious if he is struggling, but it will be interesting to see how they line up if everyone is fit. I think they will be trying to prepare MCEvoy to be ready by the end of the year, meaning he will need to play lots of games during the year. A lot will depend on how the bodies of King and Gardiner hold up.

I think Lovett will be straight in, and they will hoping for Smith in the second half of the season. Hopefully there will only be limited injuries, meaning the pressure for spots will be even more so than last year. SUch a sign of a great team. Look how hard it has been to get into Geelongs team over these past few years. I agree with Milton66's list of players who will be under pressure, although I really hope Clarke has a great preseason and goes up another gear. He clearly has the ability and I would love him to reach his full potential and hopefully shut up a lot of his baggers...but then again, I don't think that would be possible, not matter how well he played. He could be BOG in a GF and still cop it, i'm sure. :wink:

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
St Loxton
Club Player

Think McQualter has found his niche in our tough game style and will go to another level next year, hoping Raph has a good preseason, and without his brother there steps up and plays consistent accountable footy. Will Johnson could get his chance early and do a Zac and really contest for a spot. The smokey for me has to be Walsh, hoping he makes a big impact and rattles some heads after 6 - 8 games for Sandy.

Hunter Clark 2024 StKilda Saints Premiership captain.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I would certainly like to see our youngsters come along but I don't expect wholesale changes to a team that could have been premiers but for some poor kicking. That's not the way Ross does things. I would expect Lovett to come in because he's clearly a class senior player who was specifically recruited to fill an identified weakness. Peake would also appear to be a chance given he's a mature aged player with senior experience. Armo will be given every opportunity to be there in Round 1, Geary will go close assuming further improvement and McEvoy will be right in the mix depending on the fitness and form of Gardiner & King.

However beyond that I think the young players will have to really earn their spots, as they should. These guys have to really start ripping it up for Sandy to justify selection. It's not good enough to simply show something and to be named among the best from time to time. If these blokes really want to get into the seniors they need to show the sort of form and consistency that would have them shooting for the Liston Medal. I really like Gwilt but he's an example of one of those blokes that goes back to Sandy and just gets a kick. Even Luke Ball hardly blew them away when he was dropped. The young midfielders need to regularly get 30 - 40 quality touches and the young forwards need to consistently kick 4 - 5 goals. Otherwise they're going to struggle to break into our team (assuming of course that we continue with the form of 2009!)

Milton66
SS Life Member

Gee wizz. I was a huge Geary sceptic after 08, but thought he improved out of sight this year. If he contiues on the same curve, he will cement his spot.

Yeah, I want Clarke to come good, so we'll see what happens.

McQualter is another one who slipped under the radar. Maybe because we think he's a starter. But he also can improve. Same with Farren Ray.

I'm also a big believer that kids that walk straight in are the exception and not the rule, so I'm not 100% sold on Steven yet. Don't hink he's there physically.

I had this discussion last nite, and the words "top up" were mentioned. But I reckon it's a case of trying to improve your bottom 6.

Some recruits and eveloping players will push some middle 6 players into the bottom six... and then the same applies as they squeeze players out of the bottom 6.

All good AFAIAC for the next 5 years. :D

aussiejones
Club Player

"But I reckon it's a case of trying to improve your bottom 6."

We have recruited well considering our picks available.

Forward lines need players fighting to get in and they need to be given a go.

Quixote
SS Life Member

For mine, Tommy Walsh = 2011

Jesse Smith = mid-year with his injuries and competition for his spot too

Jacky, Armo and Gears could give us a lot

Also Lovett probably the biggest addition

McEvoy is a smokie to burst the lids

I'm most intrigued at how Tommy LYNCH will go in year 2

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Batnoe

Eddy has broken foot

Will be 6 weeks behind others, but usually pretty fit

I think most are really hoping Armo does take Ball's spot, but it could between MCQ, Armo, Geary Steven

If all 4 are pushing hard for 2 spots it will keep it interesting. I actually want to see MCQ push into the middle a bit more, i know in his first season he could find the ball, now he is confident and knows he can make the top level he will be good there, where he was as a junior

Armo, could be the most improved player in the competition, you dont generally go at pick 8 if you are a dud, and i am sure he wants to prove that and we all think he can.

The advangtage with Steven is he is still only 19, yet been in the system for 2 years... recruited as an underage recruit and was never expeted to get a game until possibly this year.

Geary doesnt have a big body but plays hard, i love his attack and hard running,
Geary and Steven had number changes so i would expect to see them have a more important part this year

Milton66
SS Life Member

If Mini goes into the middle, then someone will have to take his spot. Depending on fitness, you could see a rotation between the two.

We still need a 3rd damaging FWD. Someone like mini is as close as we have in terms of physical presence, but he may be a tad short.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

would love to see Gwilt do well. In the games that he did play well in this year, he just complemented the list so well... exactly the player we don't have.

I'll watch Raph with interest as well.

With the number of potential backman we have as well, it will be interesting to see if 1 of Fisher or Goddard will spend more time up forward.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I have no doubt that Steven will have a big year. He is much fitter than the previous 2 years and will have a great year. Armo may come on but I still dont get Geary and Eddy. Hope I am wrong but dont see what they give us.

I didnt get Geary - But now I do.... Love his style, can mark, run and kick goals.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:would love to see Gwilt do well. In the games that he did play well in this year, he just complemented the list so well... exactly the player we don't have.

With the number of potential backman we have as well, it will be interesting to see if 1 of Fisher or Goddard will spend more time up forward.

Gwilt has the attribute to do well - But can't mark overhead to save himself. Also doesnt read the play defensively IMO as well.

Im not expecting much.

Longwayfromhome
Club Player

I have no doubt that IF Kosi decides to take the game on and make himself into the player we have always hoped for then we will be holding the cup aloft in 2010.
At his best I believe Kosi to be unstoppable. He is the missing link to a second premiership.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Improvement that will effect our overall performance:

McQualter
Geary
Clarke
Armitage
Gilbert
Dawson
Dempster (From injury)

Personal improvement for players:

Lynch
Walsh
Steven

I believe the first category is what will affect the performance of the team overall and its ability to win games. Improvement from the second, will contribute a little, to no extent.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

I personally hope that Luke Miles gets a decent crack at it this year. I know the guy and he hasn't had any luck with injuries since he has been at the saints. He would have played against the hawks last year, but he got injured prior to the match and couldn't play.
I think he can be a good player for us although with the recruitment of Jesse Smith and Lovett, there will be stiff competition along with Raph Clarke for that running defender role in our team. Atleast he is on the list now anyway and has a chance if he can stay injury free and give it a good crack.

Good luck Luke!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
PJ
SS Life Member

Not entirely sure why but I have a suspicion that the Jones boy is going to raise the bar again. He needs to get the attitude of Diesel Williams and then people will really start getting the wind up them at the prospect of playing on him - or should I say being nullified by him.

If big Mac gets another extended stretch in the team I think it's going to be harder to drop him - regardless of it being Gardiner or King coming back. He could even be in from the get go.

As talented as Lovett is I think it will take a little while for him to settle into the style. He's a free runner with exquisit skills but it'll be interesting to see how he goes with the forward defensive pressure.

I'd like to see Armo get a full season and Jack some serious game time but I'm not sure who Geary would come in for - I don't think he has enough of the angry ball magnet about him to go midfield and the only other option is small defender - Bakes owns this at the moment.

Tommy - who knows?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Milton66
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:
skeptic wrote:would love to see Gwilt do well. In the games that he did play well in this year, he just complemented the list so well... exactly the player we don't have.

Gwilt has the attribute to do well - But can't mark overhead to save himself. Also doesnt read the play defensively IMO as well.

Im not expecting much.
Jimmy has always been my fairtale underdog-come-good story since that final in Adelaide. But I am starting to have some doubts.

Still, what would I know? Any 3rd fwd will have a hard time with Roo and Kosi the go to men.

I'm thinking more like a Chapman type, and maybe Jimmy isn't nimble enough for that role. Hence my surprise at X leaving.

Still, as astated above, with the extra defenders coming in... it gives more options. Don't discount Ray to go Fwd.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Im not expecting much.
Jimmy has always been my fairtale underdog-come-good story since that final in Adelaide. But I am starting to have some doubts.

Still, what would I know? Any 3rd fwd will have a hard time with Roo and Kosi the go to men.

I'm thinking more like a Chapman type, and maybe Jimmy isn't nimble enough for that role. Hence my surprise at X leaving.

Still, as astated above, with the extra defenders coming in... it gives more options. Don't discount Ray to go Fwd.
I'm not giving up on him yet, wouldn't be the first player for it all to fall into place a little later. Hoping he makes it, I really do...

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Im not expecting much.

I'm not giving up on him yet, wouldn't be the first player for it all to fall

into place a little later. Hoping he makes it, I really do...
Yeh I had this attitude middle of the year....And then realized my hopes were all based on hopes, and not of what I had seen. Never takes a contested mark, even on out on the lead, and just doesnt read the play IMO. So I gave up.

Also with everyones expectations of Steven.... I saw his one game and a few at sandi (one i went to, and other 2 were on tv).....Why does everyone think he will smash up next year? Does everyone go to Sandi every week to witness his form?

I think he's a good catch - But s*** I saw one good quarter against the Hawks, and three other alright games.

Would be good to see what others are basing their high expectations and predictions on regarding steven?

smilk
Club Player

Ross made a great little summary of who in the squad is looking to step up after trade period:
Ross Lyon wrote:To become a good AFL player you’ve got to do a strong apprenticeship, unless you’re absolutely special. The ones we’re looking to improve are David Armitage and Jack Steven as well as Jarryn Geary, Robert Eddy and Raph Clarke. They are the ones we want to have an impact similar to what Leigh Montagna, Clint Jones and Andrew McQualter had this year. They’re positioned going into their fourth year to be able to do that. I think Nick Heyne, Tom Lynch, Paul Cahill and Rhys Stanley if they can pinch a few games, it would be good. The door’s open for them.

Source: http://www.saints.com.au/season2009/new ... fault.aspx
Some others not mentioned...

Ben McEvoy
You'd say ben will get more opportunities next year than he did this one. I'd like to see King start to take a bit more of a back seat and lighten his workload, manage his body and have more of a mentoring roll for ben.

Will Johnson
Zac Dawson had an awesome year and really stepped up to every challenge put before him. With max retiring and goose delisted it will be crucial that he continues next year where he left off. They've drafted will as a backup id say. He is said to be ready to step straight in to senior footy. So you'd think he could get a few opportunities.

Jesse Smith
If the medical staff can get him over his injuries he could be great for us. Would help free up some of the other guys. If everything goes well id say mid-season.

Andrew Lovett
This guy is a class player. Hopefully he can put all the bad press behind him and let his footy do the talking. Can't remember a player like him in a saints jumper. You know by the end of the year he is going to be on the highlight reel and is capable of taking it on and turning nothing into something. I'm really pretty excited about this

Tommy Walsh
I doubt we'll get to see him in the seniors next year - given how much ross loves his apprenticeships and the guys he will be competing with for a spot... but having said that - if you believe everything you read it does sound like he could be that someone "absolutely special" capable of forcing himself in to the side. Will be watching sandy very closely

Milton66
SS Life Member

Spinner wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Im not expecting much.

I'm not giving up on him yet, wouldn't be the first player for it all to fall

into place a little later. Hoping he makes it, I really do...
Yeh I had this attitude middle of the year....And then realized my hopes were all based on hopes, and not of what I had seen. Never takes a contested mark, even on out on the lead, and just doesnt read the play IMO. So I gave up.

Also with everyones expectations of Steven.... I saw his one game and a few at sandi (one i went to, and other 2 were on tv).....Why does everyone think he will smash up next year? Does everyone go to Sandi every week to witness his form?

I think he's a good catch - But s*** I saw one good quarter against the Hawks, and three other alright games.

Would be good to see what others are basing their high expectations and predictions on regarding steven?
Jack Steven is a gun... coz everyone on SS says so! 8-) :lol: