If Lovett goes....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

If Lovett goes....

I’ll start of by saying that a person is innocent until proven guilty and all of this is based on a scenario where Lovett is eventually charged/convicted.
In that situation what happens with the Playing List & Salary Cap?

I’m not sure if changes can be made to the list following final list declarations, so does that mean we play one short for 2010 or can we promote a rookie, if deserved, in place of a sacked player?

I would hope that given Lovett’s history the club would have put fairly strict provisions in his contract that would enable us to sack him if he stuffed up. If that situation does arise does the $300,000 he was contracted to for 2010 have to go in the 2010 Salary Cap or only any amount that may be paid on termination? Surely the $300,000 for 2011 & again for 2012 would not be included for those years; I’m just not sure about 2010.

If the AFL’s rules were such that we couldn’t use Lovett’s spot for a rookie, and we had to include his $300,000 in the Cap, then surely the AFL would look favourably at any approach from the club for leniency. We took Lovett on for selfish reasons (i.e. to try and win a Flag) but we are nonetheless victims here. And the AFL has generally shown concerns for what happens to players, particularly indigenous ones, when they struggle in life so they should acknowledge that we attempted to give a wayward player a chance to get his life in order after years of pussyfooting around by the Bombers.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Re: If Lovett goes....

Dr Spaceman wrote:I’ll start of by saying that a person is innocent until proven guilty and all of this is based on a scenario where Lovett is eventually charged/convicted.
In that situation what happens with the Playing List & Salary Cap?

I’m not sure if changes can be made to the list following final list declarations, so does that mean we play one short for 2010 or can we promote a rookie, if deserved, in place of a sacked player?

I would hope that given Lovett’s history the club would have put fairly strict provisions in his contract that would enable us to sack him if he stuffed up. If that situation does arise does the $300,000 he was contracted to for 2010 have to go in the 2010 Salary Cap or only any amount that may be paid on termination? Surely the $300,000 for 2011 & again for 2012 would not be included for those years; I’m just not sure about 2010.

If the AFL’s rules were such that we couldn’t use Lovett’s spot for a rookie, and we had to include his $300,000 in the Cap, then surely the AFL would look favourably at any approach from the club for leniency. We took Lovett on for selfish reasons (i.e. to try and win a Flag) but we are nonetheless victims here. And the AFL has generally shown concerns for what happens to players, particularly indigenous ones, when they struggle in life so they should acknowledge that we attempted to give a wayward player a chance to get his life in order after years of pussyfooting around by the Bombers.
IMO, his 2010 salary shouldn't be an issue at all.
The Club would have submitted its list of players/salaries already and the total would have to be within this year's salary cap.
Much like the 'Ball scenario' where he nominated a price - that is what goes into teh sa;ary cap even if they pay him less.

His 2011/2012 salary will only come into effect if he is still contracted to the Club in those years.

An interesting question is that:-
if his contract is terminated, will the AFL treat the situation like a 'long term injury' and allow the player to be replaced by a rookie?
WIll the rules in place re the salary cap in that scenario (replacing LTI with rookie) be in effect?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I have had my head in the sand over the xmas period and have only just discovered the news of this happening.

Feeling a little sick to the stomach over this right now :(

I really hope this is the only serious set back we face over the pre-season.

I guess the positive side is that it's a player that has never represented St.Kilda F.C. on the field before.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:I have had my head in the sand over the xmas period and have only just discovered the news of this happening.

Feeling a little sick to the stomach over this right now :(

I really hope this is the only serious set back we face over the pre-season.

I guess the positive side is that it's a player that has never represented St.Kilda F.C. on the field before.
no positive sides to this little mess mate.....none at all..... :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Milton66
SS Life Member

If Lovett goes, we better pray like crazy that Peake steps up, and that Smith gets fit.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Or that Winmar makes the grade.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

borderbarry wrote:Or that Winmar makes the grade.
Wouldn't expect him to in 2010. He's a kid yet ... needs an apprenticeship like nearly all young recruits; freaks like Rich and Selwood excepted.