Ross cant do much more than this???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint Mik
Club Player

Ross cant do much more than this???

Ross Lyon warned St Kilda players about poor behaviour Sam Edmund From: Herald Sun January 12, 2010
ST KILDA coach Ross Lyon warned his players about off-season behaviour only hours before Andrew Lovett allegedly raped a woman as she slept.
The Herald Sun can reveal Lyon conducted a lengthy meeting with the players at the end of a pre-season training camp on the Gold Coast just before Christmas, imploring them to behave over the holiday break and make the right decisions.

The revelations come as Victoria Police appears set to charge Lovett on summons in the coming weeks.

It is believed Lyon held aloft a copy of the Herald Sun front page from December 22, which detailed the embarrassing and damaging fallout from Carlton's Yarra River booze cruise.

He also presented an article on Newcastle Knights' rising NRL star Danny Wicks, whose career is in free-fall after being charged with drug offences, before the Saints boarded a flight back to Melbourne.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
Related CoverageLovett suspended
.End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
That night Lyon received a phone call informing him Lovett was being accused of raping a 23-year-old woman in a teammate's Port Melbourne apartment after a night out at Richmond pub Royal Saxon.

St Kilda acted swiftly to indefinitely suspend Lovett, but Lyon is so angered that it's believed he wants the 27-year-old banished from Moorabbin.

The Saints would not comment last night (Monday night).

It's believed some players have asked whether Lovett could be sent to play for VFL affiliate Sandringham as punishment until mid-year, but the majority of the squad no longer want to play alongside the former Bomber.

The general feeling is while he is the player they need, he is not the person they need in an era where club culture is paramount.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

You can lead a horse to water........................

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
sainterinsydney
Club Player

Sounds like his days are numbered. Will go down as one of the worst trades in AFL history. We should have just traded 16 for Everitt from the Dogs.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

sainterinsydney wrote:Sounds like his days are numbered. Will go down as one of the worst trades in AFL history. We should have just traded 16 for Everitt from the Dogs.
Looks like we'll all be getting some closure on the matter very soon. Andrew Lovett will go down as a trivia question. What a wasted talent.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

To me when the club starts leaking what was said/shown to the playing group regarding expected behaviour (and lets face it this came from the club) its tantamount to preparing media/fans for the obvious next step - to show the world the clubs culture wont be compromised regardless of player skill/requirements.

Interesting to read some players wanted him banished to magoo's till mid year....thatd be those playing at Sandy I imagine....

I reckon hes stuffed.

Reassuring for sponsors also...

“Yeah….nah””
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Lovett

I agree, Ross couldn't have done much more.

What has been alleged is a very serious thing, but it has in no way been proved.

Somewhere on another post it said J%ck Anth*ny (ex-boyfriend?) contacted the police. How do you define consent? Something may have happened, then the girl could have felt guilty and phoned Anth&ny. His pride coud have been hurt, he could have been jealous and talked her into making the charge. Maybe he's got something against Andrew.

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

PS I was not trying to trivialise the charge, just pointing out something none of you have thought of. That's killing two birds with one stone: getting one back at someone you hate and removing an obstacle to your team (C&ll*ngwo&d) winning a flag.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

sainterinsydney wrote:Sounds like his days are numbered. Will go down as one of the worst trades in AFL history. We should have just traded 16 for Everitt from the Dogs.
Yes, in hindsight it looks like it will go down as an epic fail.

But, we have had more than enough posts discussing what could have been and I've rubbed just about enough salt in my wounds on this one.

Lovett is suspended and his chances of finding his way back to Moorabbin seem virtually non-existant. As far as I'm concerned, he might as well not be on our list. I'm focusing all my attention on the playing list that WILL be apart of St. Kilda's 2010 flag tilt.

CARN YOU SAINTERS! :twisted:

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I Love Peter Kiel wrote:PS I was not trying to trivialise the charge, just pointing out something none of you have thought of. That's killing two birds with one stone: getting one back at someone you hate and removing an obstacle to your team (C&ll*ngwo&d) winning a flag.
None of us thought of it as it simply way way too ridiculous.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

A couple more points: the media attention over the Carlton booze cruise was a bit of an over-reaction. What about the ridiculous "rubber chicken affair" at the K%ng#roos? Too many journos like H*tchie with not enough to talk about.

We live in a different world now. When C%rlton won 3 flags in 4 years ('79-82) the players regularly got drunk after training.
In fact I've read Ken H*nter's account of his first night at training at PP in the early '80s. Coming from WA, he was determined to make it through the gruelling Victorian-style training, which he did. Afterwards he was dragged to Naughton's by "Sellars" McCl*re and others. The drinking session, H&nter said , was harder than the training!

I know players are professional full-time footballers now, but we can't expect them to act like angels all the time.

A true indication is the journos themselves...some may be drunks, on all kinds of drugs, r&%tin' and t$%tin' like it's going out of fashion but they expect the footballers (without whom they wouldn't have a job!) to live like monks.

To the top
SS Life Member

"allegedly raped a woman as she slept".

The dictionary describes rape as the act forcing a woman to have sexual intercourse against her will.

Call me sexist or whatever (which I am not) but I am one of those in our community who has trouble with what is being described here.

As a more mature male (in age anyway), and with 3 sons (and 2 daughters), I have counselled my sons that "No is no - no matter when no is said because if you do not respect the word no whenever it is said and immediately it is said you will find yourself in the deepest of trouble - trouble which will haunt you for the rest of your life. So be warned".

For my daughters the message has always been more simple. "Do not put yourself in a compromised position because your reputation is everything. If you get the wrong reputation that reputation will precede you to your continuing detriment because people being people, they talk".

I would not think that the education I have given my children in these matters differs from what is given in most homes in our Country.

My daughters and my wife have commented on what is being reported.

And their comments go straight to "a woman was allegedly raped as she slept".

They want to know how a woman can be awoken by a single man in the act of having sexual intercourse with her.

And they have aroused my curosity.

To my sons I have just repeated the lesson.

"No" is "no" the instant it is said - no matter anything else.

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Yeah I agree it looks like he could be gone but don't discount all possibilities.
We've given up a draft pick to get him and don't want to waste it.

I'm sure RL's main concern and deciding factor would be "How would it affect the playing group?" I've never played football at anything like the elite level of AFL but obviously these guys are all super-talented, super-fit and super-dedicated compared to say someone playing Club XVIII in the amateurs.
If he decides like Mr Spock (Socrates originally I think) that "the good of the many outweighs the good of the few" then L*vett could be in trouble.

Of course this is all just speculation at the moment. What if the charges are dropped? What if it blows over? RL may still decide that AL has to serve his time playing for the mighty Zebras. He would absolutely k*ll 'em running through the centre of Trev%r B$rker Oval! Even if he plays there all season, it's still insurance in case of injuries. What else is he going to do?

Milton66
SS Life Member

SydneySainter wrote:

But, we have had more than enough posts discussing what could have been and I've rubbed just about enough salt in my wounds on this one.

Lovett is suspended and his chances of finding his way back to Moorabbin seem virtually non-existant. As far as I'm concerned, he might as well not be on our list. I'm focusing all my attention on the playing list that WILL be apart of St. Kilda's 2010 flag tilt.

And if we got Evritt, Lovett would be at another club... nowhere near Pt Melb... no trouble...

And when he had a great gamegame against us at his new club...

We'd all be on here complaining that we didn't go hard enough to get him...

Blah blah blah.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Well it gives an opportunity to one of our Rookies to move up to the main list (if as suspected Lovett is shown the door).

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Some very good points there, tothetop.

Did you mean "they want to know how a woman can NOT be awoken"?

There are many questions I want to ask but I don't want to get everyone involved in even more trouble. Surely everyone there, maybe even J&ck "Mark" Ant%ny will be questioned at length by the authorities.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

MM what happens with that?
lets say he is no longer with us (which is kinda obvious)

Milton66
SS Life Member

I Love Peter Kiel wrote:Some very good points there, tothetop.

There are many questions I want to ask but I don't want to get everyone involved in even more trouble. Surely everyone there, maybe even J&ck "Mark" Ant%ny will be questioned at length by the authorities.
Too many ?'s

Drink spiked?

Hanky panky on in earnest and she fell asleep from being too drunk?

Fired him up and then backed off?

Not saying she was wrong... but too many ??'s

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:MM what happens with that?
lets say he is no longer with us (which is kinda obvious)
We're entitle to have x number of players (I don't recall teh exact number).
If a player has a long erm injury (longer than 8 weeks?) he can be replaced on the list by a Rookie.

I'm not sure what the exact ruling would be here, but I reckon that if a player is sacked becasue of 'off-field stuff', surely he'd be allowed to be replaced by a rookie?

Maybe one/some of the posters with a better understanding of the 'list rules' could give us an insight?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

cool
thanks for that.
ace or someone will know the ins and outs

well, good i say
give the chance to someone who deserves it.
he obviously didnt

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Milton66 wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:

And if we got Evritt, Lovett would be at another club... nowhere near Pt Melb... no trouble...

And when he had a great gamegame against us at his new club...

We'd all be on here complaining that we didn't go hard enough to get him...

Blah blah blah.
No arguments from me.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

He's gone..

Move on and spend your time on who we have.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
I Love Peter Kiel wrote:Some very good points there, tothetop.

Too many ?'s

Drink spiked?

Hanky panky on in earnest and she fell asleep from being too drunk?

Fired him up and then backed off?

Not saying she was wrong... but too many ??'s
Which is probably why many are saying it will be a difficult case to 'prove' for the prosecutors.

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

As I said, Car%line "Bl**dy" W&lson has two articles pre-written:''
Here are the headlines:

1. Saints dump L*vett:player's welfare ignored.

2. Saints keep L*vett: victim's welfare ignored.

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

I just meant that there are many factors in a case. Conflicting versions of events, lack of proof etc can have a huge effect.
I'm not being coy, I'm censoring myself because I don't want to slander anyone involved. But you can be sure detectives will thoroughly investigate this.

dartos
Club Player

First of all he has not been charged and so ' this person is innocent in they eyes of the law and not in the eyes the media' When he is charged and sentenced I will make up my mind.

We have been probably "stooged" by using our 16 draft pick. Hindsight is a great teacher and maybe Sheedy, Hird etc weren't the best referees!
But every club has made mistakes in the past and I suppose we have to live with it, maybe one of our rookies will put his hand up ...it has happened before?

The Saints did well last year but not good enough. you never know what will happen and Ross has my vote of confidence, especially after the last guy that got us to a grand final got sacked! I do not want to travel on that path again.

Conclusion: If he is charged then we elevate a rookie and take our chances, and I cannot worry of what might have been since I cannot change anything and I suppose the same goes for a lot of posters.