kosi in the ruck last night...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

jmac101
Club Player

kosi in the ruck last night...

interesting to see last night in the fourth quarter (maybe also in the third, i forget...) that kosi was playing in the ruck.

given mcevoy, king (and to a lesser extent stanley) were all playing it was an interesting move...

leigh tudor was coaching last night, do you reckon this was his decision to get kosi into the game (and hence is likely not to happen when ross takes over) or are we looking at a year where kosi gets some more injuries by going into the ruck more often?

TwoTowers
Club Player

Kosi was joined in the center square by Goddard, Montagna and Armitage so it looked like Leigh Tudor was getting experienced heads in there. Sensible policy.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: kosi in the ruck last night...

jmac101 wrote:interesting to see last night in the fourth quarter (maybe also in the third, i forget...) that kosi was playing in the ruck.

given mcevoy, king (and to a lesser extent stanley) were all playing it was an interesting move...

leigh tudor was coaching last night, do you reckon this was his decision to get kosi into the game (and hence is likely not to happen when ross takes over) or are we looking at a year where kosi gets some more injuries by going into the ruck more often?
Ross has already played Kosi in the ruck.

Point being is that Kosi gets occasional runs there..or rucks in forward line.

I would expect it to remain as occasional cameo role.

With Stanley...I believe the idea was to try him out as a key forward last night.

Makes sense as a ruckman he is not ready..

Last night was also very hot..so rotating thru the ruck made sense.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

i dare say it was more about giving Kosi a bit of real game run into his legs.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Re: kosi in the ruck last night...

jmac101 wrote:interesting to see last night in the fourth quarter (maybe also in the third, i forget...) that kosi was playing in the ruck.

Which one of Kosi's injuries have actually happened while he's been rucking? From memory of most of his injuries none of them had anything to do with playing in the ruck, except when he split his lip after bowling over the umpire playing for Casey Reserves after coming back from his head injury.

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Must have effected his miss from 5m out. That was disgraceful. Even Richo the boundary rider laughed.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:Must have effected his miss from 5m out. That was disgraceful. Even Richo the boundary rider laughed.
he probably thought it was a final....i think Stanley will end up a better player than Kosi.....still.....he's better in our team than someone else's team.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:Must have effected his miss from 5m out. That was disgraceful. Even Richo the boundary rider laughed.
Richo has got nothing to laugh about, saw him miss from 10 metres out directly in front more than once.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bigred
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
Richo has got nothing to laugh about, saw him miss from 10 metres out directly in front more than once.
Richo's whole career was based on epic fail.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

He was in the ruck for one reason. He couldnt get a kick anywhere else and as it was a practice match they gave him a run around.

Statsman
Club Player

Kosi, like many full forwards, often goes missing deep in the forward line. If the ball isn't coming to him, he had little other impact on the game. He just waits for the ball to come, in a reactive manner, rather than proactively trying to impose himself on the contest.

However a quick burst in the ruck can just as often re-ignite him and get him back into the flow of the game. He gets a few touches, takes a couple of marks and begins to feel re-engaged in the game. The next thing you know he goes back to full forward and kicks a goal.

It's not the first time we've seen this tactic, so Tudor isn't doing anything new here. We were lucky to have the versatility of McEvoy and Stanley to swing forward while Kosi goes into the ruck.[/u]

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:He was in the ruck for one reason. He couldnt get a kick anywhere else and as it was a practice match they gave him a run around.
That would be two reasons then. :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
GrumpyOne

plugger66 wrote:He was in the ruck for one reason. He couldnt get a kick anywhere else and as it was a practice match they gave him a run around.
I agree with the first of the one reason. :wink:

Never got into the game at FF.

spyglass
Club Player

1 - it ws on a bit of an angle
2 - I was behind it and I actually thought it was a goal - shows how bad my eyesight must be

Saints7
Club Player

Richo actually laughed at that? Thats funny....hopefully Kosi can end his carrer with a better conversion rate that him.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

bigred wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Mate I'm as one eyed as any saints fan but this is a ridiculous statement. Richo was a champion and on top of that a true gentleman, met him a few times when he was visiting kids at RCH and you wouldnt meet a better bloke.

yipper
SS Life Member

BringBackMadDog wrote:
bigred wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Mate I'm as one eyed as any saints fan but this is a ridiculous statement. Richo was a champion and on top of that a true gentleman, met him a few times when he was visiting kids at RCH and you wouldnt meet a better bloke.
Very true. But geez did he miss some sitters in his time. He was much better from long range I thought. Bit like our own Kosi.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Richo's final accuracy rate is midleading, it doesn't count the one's he sprayed out on the full :wink:

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Interesting vibe to this thread. Seems some here are of the opinion that Kosi should never be rucked.

I've had the impression that:
1) Lyon was not happy flip flopping Kosi between ruck and forward week to week.
2) Lyon had decided that at the stage Kosi was at 2 years ago, his tapwork was not up to holding down the #1/2 fulltime rucking slot on the list. Hence Gardiner and King prior to even drafting McEvoy.
3) That Lyon's quite comfortable with Kosi rucking, and even likes his mobility... entirely based on matchups.

For mine, I think Kosi's best work is done as a ruckman - but against the genuine good tap ruckmen (and Jolly is one), he gets toweled in hitouts, which immediately undoes a lot of the benefit - there are few better once the ball hits the deck... but if instead of the deck it's in the other guy's hands, being a decent tackler is window dressing.

Since it looked to me that McEvoy's tapwork had gone past Kosi's, I'd suspect that Kosi's at full forward at least until the retirements of both King and Gardiner. At that stage we'll see whether one of Stanley/Kosi is a viable ruck. Until then, we're still going see isolated centre square time, and regular forward contests from Kosi at bounces and throw-ins.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford