stanley or kosi for round 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

stanley or kosi for round 1

If you had a choice of Stanley or kosi to play forward in round 1 who would you choose. At the moment i would have Stanley.

trevor barker
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

That is a no brainer, Kosi will be full forward in round one and for the rest of the year.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Kosi and Riewoldt have the key positions sewn up.

I only see Stanley as the half forward flanker or the tall forward pocket decoy that would demand another good tall defender - that way Stanley can also be slowly eased in.

saintnick12
Club Player

samoht wrote:Kosi and Riewoldt have the key positions sewn up.

I only see Stanley as the half forward flanker or the tall forward pocket decoy that would demand another good tall defender - that way Stanley can also be slowly eased in.

+1

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Put Stanley on a wing! 8-)

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Put Stanley on a wing! 8-)
that's worth a thought. :wink: would give us the option of rotating him through chf or ff should the match situation warrant it.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Both should and will be picked. Stanley to roam anywhere from wing to full forward. Kosi to stay put in the goal square and smash people in contests.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Stanley will not play round one this year.

He hasn't done the apprenticeship Ross requires yet.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Bernard Shakey wrote:Stanley will not play round one this year.

I know Im not Ross, but I believe diferently.
Kosi needs a big rocket lit under him. I have lost all patience, and to be honest anything less than 50+ goals this year will not be good enough.
With that in mid I would be threatening him with McEvoy as a replacement, With Stanley relieving the forward position when McEvoy goes into the ruck to relieve Gardiner/King.

Seeya
HarveysDeciple

Koschitzke way ahead at this stage.

Stanley looks to have a huge future, showing some tremendous signs, but he aint there just yet.

Might play a few games this year, but probably not round 1.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Stanley will not play round one this year.

I know Im not Ross, but I believe diferently.
Kosi needs a big rocket lit under him. I have lost all patience, and to be honest anything less than 50+ goals this year will not be good enough.
With that in mid I would be threatening him with McEvoy as a replacement, With Stanley relieving the forward position when McEvoy goes into the ruck to relieve Gardiner/King.
I am just not understanding why all patience is lost, what makes you think 50+ is not acheivable when he kicked about 50 last year?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Stanley will not play round one ahead of Kosi and there is no other spot for him in the side at the moment. Unlike these practice games there is only 4 on the bench and that will include one ruckman and 3 mids. Where could Stanley play for 4 quarters. He isnt ready unles 3 quarters of practice games makes you ready.

Looks like being a star but like others will have to wait a fair enough to.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I realise he has a long way to go before he is mentioned in the same breath as riewoldt, but his attributes ... pace, marking ability, height etc, confidence and general assuredness ... mark him as one of the best prospects since.

I wonder if Ross would find a spot for a 19-year-old riewoldt in the current side?  
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 02 Mar 2010 10:19am, edited 2 times in total.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

plugger66 wrote:Stanley will not play round one ahead of Kosi and there is no other spot for him in the side at the moment. Unlike these practice games there is only 4 on the bench and that will include one ruckman and 3 mids. Where could Stanley play for 4 quarters. He isnt ready unles 3 quarters of practice games makes you ready.

The spot/position/role that's been up for grabs and is there for the taking - is a tall, marking, quick moving half forward flanker.

We haven't found anyone yet (we've been trying for years) who has cemented/claimed that spot or performed that role adequately and consistently..

So Stanley could fulfill a team need and who is he competing against for that spot anyway - no one !

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Stanley is mobile for his size, but not mobile in an overall sense. he is quick, yes, but takes time to get going and isn't particularly agile.

We use speedy wingers (Schnieder, Montagna, Gram etc.) to switch play before going inside 50. Stanley's wouldn't be an option for this, he would be better used on the lead deep forward. And if he plays alongside Kosi, we become too top heavy, and lose some our our "forward pressure".

Stanley's ideal spot at the moment is Kosi's, and will still be a for a while yet.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

samoht wrote:The spot/position that's been up for grabs and is there for the taking - is a tall, marking, quick moving half forward flanker.
Stanley has looked much more like a KPP so far. Five of his seven possessions have come from marks. Three of those five have been contested. Even if we call him an 'HFF' I don't think opposition clubs will treat him that way. We'll see how he goes against Freo on the weekend. Right now, he's had precious little game time and it doesn't look like we're prepping him for round one. It seems more likely to me that we'll use a resting mid in that last forward spot, or a defensive player like Dempster.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
HarveysDeciple

plugger66 wrote:Stanley will not play round one ahead of Kosi and there is no other spot for him in the side at the moment. Unlike these practice games there is only 4 on the bench and that will include one ruckman and 3 mids. Where could Stanley play for 4 quarters. He isnt ready unles 3 quarters of practice games makes you ready.

This

quidnunc
Club Player

Sorry, but I can't agree with the posters who say that Stanley is not ready. Sure he has a steep learning curve for AFL seniors but it sure looks to me (from the two NAB cup games) that he is a quick learner.

I wonder how quick Rich from Brisbane or Selwood from the Cats managed to learn playing seniors.

Please do not curtail elevation because it does not meet your paradigm of what you think the coaches apprenticeship is.

I for another one amongst us, think that Stanley is ready -he may bot perform as good as in the NAB - but he is definetely worth a chance - round one , based on current form.

Please also remember how dominant our side was last year - do you think we can not assist with a steep learning curve for a very exciting prospect?

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
goodie
Club Player

I'd have McEvoy ahead of Stanley. Can perform a similar forward role to Kosi, and is a more capable rotation into the ruck.

Red
Club Player

He's had 7 possessions in two nab cup games.

Huge promise but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He has a long way to go/

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:I realise he has a long way to go before he is mentioned in the same breath as riewoldt, but his attributes ... pace, marking ability, height etc, confidence a d general assuredness ... mark him as one of the best prospects since.

I wonder if Ross would find a spot for a 19-year-old riewoldt in the current side?  
Sorry is this Roo who has played footie all his life...or Stanley Roo who was until very recently a basketballer???

You are comparing apples and oranges.

Ross is about winning flag this year. He is also about building long-term success with young players like Stanley, Steven, smith etc...

When a player has earnt his stripes he gets a go in the seniors.

Our success last year was built on TEAM play and a WORK ETHIC better than any other team.

Talent is not enough. Fiora had bags of talent...but could not deliver the TEAM play and WORK ETHIC week in week out. Stanley has to learn all of this PLUS how to play footie.

And Ross does try the younguns out when appropriate...ie Big Ben who is 20 and now has 12 games.

Stanley may be quicker or slower than Ben.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
vacuous space
SS Life Member

quidnunc wrote:Sorry, but I can't agree with the posters who say that Stanley is not ready.
I don't think many people are saying that. Those of us who are taking a more cautious approach just want to see more before we'll believe RL will hand him a spot in the starting 18. I was hoping to see him play in a lot of game situations on Saturday night, then RL made him a sub. That doesn't exactly scream out to me that Ross is getting him ready for a round one start. Hopefully we get a better look next Saturday. I think he's done about as much as he can in the game time he's seen. IMO, we need to see what he can do over a longer period on the field.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:

The spot/position/role that's been up for grabs and is there for the taking - is a tall, marking, quick moving half forward flanker.

We haven't found anyone yet (we've been trying for years) who has cemented/claimed that spot or performed that role adequately and consistently..

So Stanley could fulfill a team need and who is he competing against for that spot anyway - no one !
There is no way Stanley could play as a HFF. They are basically onballers these days and Stanley just doesnt have the ground skills to play as a midfielder. He is either a ruckman or KPP. What sides have 200cm HFF these days or any days for that matter. And anyone who thinks 3 talls will stretch sides will find out we will be the one stretched when the ball rebounds out of our forward line to easily which is totally against our current game plan.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
And anyone who thinks 3 talls will stretch sides will find out we will be the one stretched when the ball rebounds out of our forward line to easily which is totally against our current game plan.
While that last point is a good one against many talls....I don't think it is against Stanley who has the pace and aerobic ability to run down most players.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
. Hopefully we get a better look next Saturday. I think he's done about as much as he can in the game time he's seen. IMO, we need to see what he can do over a longer period on the field.
I think most of us are eager to see how Stanley will go against good opposition when playing most of the game.