Family Day Needs Re-Vamp...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Family Day Needs Re-Vamp...

I realise member numbers have grown considerably and so I know no matter what happens at these things not everyone will be happy and I also think the clubs volunteers/social do a great job....but....

I stood in line today and a lady next to me with her son (autistic) was rightfully peeved.......in 3 hours she had waited for 1.5hrs in queues.....to get Nick Riewoldts signature.......only to then be told "sorry folks but no more signings...." In the time she was there shed gotten to only 2 things.....surely there is another way?

I mean 3 jumping castles for about 1000 kids...- the queues for some of these were an hour long - the Shark nearly killed me.....and it lasted 3 mins...

A suggestion.

Family day IMHO is about kids primarily getting near their idols - lets face it supporters really get this 1 day a year to get up close.

Im mid 30, I dont expect to come along and sit down to have lengthy chats with Ross/Roo bout tactics...(their loss I guess......im kidding..) so Im not fussed but for kids why not:

1. split kids into age groupings:

0-2
2-4
4-6
6-9
8+

In those groupings assign players (not just rookies) to do some basic skills/kick/handball whatever.....just let kids get near them.....These player groups could maybe rotate? Each area could be seperated?

2. For autograph hunters why not have half the players signing autographs while the other half do the sessiosn and then swap over?

I just think the current approach where the best players are locked in tents (was Dal Santo there today? we didnt see him?? Goddard??) while you wait in queues for hrs to get 1 signature is NOT what a family day is about.

I realise this still wont mean everyone gets their 1 on 1 autograph but surely now we have such member numbers we have to move to some group activities so we actually SEE the players? (Ilike Didi but really....trying to catch a glimpse for kids 200mtrs from stage aint ideal...)

Its either that or have another one of these mid year for kids/fans to get signatures etc.????

Its only my view but for me it would mean much more for a kid to at least get near their idol (maybe in one of these skills sessions etc) than to only get the signature of 1 player while waiting for hours in queues whiel not seeing at all the others....

BTW - The skills/grouping sessions is something that Swans do at their family days so its not new.

Thoughts? any other ideas? (so its not just a whinge but maybe something the club could take on board).

“Yeah….nah””
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: Family Day Needs Re-Vamp...

Teflon wrote:
Thoughts? any other ideas? (so its not just a whinge but maybe something the club could take on board).
I take it that you have already contacted the club with your thoughts? !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Let the players roam free like the old family days when i was a kid....

Now its just a day to stand in line for 2 hours for not much, if any at all gain.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

The Frankston Oval is very small, in fact it's like a toy ground. There just is not enough room to set up things properly IMO.

Hopefully when our training venue is completed things will change

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The first thing they should do is stop adults getting autograph's. It is a kids day, adults if they need these silly autographs can get them at training. At least that will help the lines. Players cannot roam free. They will never be able to move once they start signing autographs so that helps no body.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The first thing they should do is stop adults getting autograph's. It is a kids day, adults if they need these silly autographs can get them at training. At least that will help the lines. Players cannot roam free. They will never be able to move once they start signing autographs so that helps no body.

What age is regarded as 'kids'? under 25? :lol: In all seriousness, havnt gone to a 'family day' for signatures for at least 10 years....Go for the possible sales of jumpers, the presentation and the few words from the captain/coach.

1 and a half hour drive up and then back - so we decided to take a look at the new facilities as well.....Took a while to find them!

And please dont bring logic or sense into my 'roam free' proposal! 8-)

But in all seriousness - what pisses me off is when the friendship is pushed a bit far by supporters. Dempster somehow got lost from the herd after the presentation near where me and the old man were downing some food. Suddenly surrounded by supporters for signatures, photos alike...clearly had to go, and was wearing a friggin moon boot! Surely the bloke cant just for hours just signing s*** - just let him go.

saintnick12
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
plugger66 wrote:The first thing they should do is stop adults getting autograph's. It is a kids day, adults if they need these silly autographs can get them at training. At least that will help the lines. Players cannot roam free. They will never be able to move once they start signing autographs so that helps no body.

What age is regarded as 'kids'? under 25? :lol: In all seriousness, havnt gone to a 'family day' for signatures for at least 10 years....Go for the possible sales of jumpers, the presentation and the few words from the captain/coach.

1 and a half hour drive up and then back - so we decided to take a look at the new facilities as well.....Took a while to find them!

And please dont bring logic or sense into my 'roam free' proposal! 8-)

But in all seriousness - what pisses me off is when the friendship is pushed a bit far by supporters. Dempster somehow got lost from the herd after the presentation near where me and the old man were downing some food. Suddenly surrounded by supporters for signatures, photos alike...clearly had to go, and was wearing a friggin moon boot! Surely the bloke cant just for hours just signing s*** - just let him go.
I saw that too....felt so sorry for him. The poor guy can barely walk properly and people just wouldn't let him leave. Terrible manners...
At least now I know why he didn't play last night.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
saintnick12
Club Player

My post on this from the other thread.

Also , had a great day with the kids. Also didn't bother with the autograph signing...queues were so long. Haven't been for a few years, but last time I went it was so much easier. That comes with success I suppose and is good for the club. My two year old is obsessed with Nick Riewoldt at the moment. When Nick was being interviewed, we were standing to the side and he was on my husbands shoulders and he started crying...Riewoldt cuddle.... The poor thing couldn't understand why he couldn't just walk straight up there and meet him and have a cuddle. So cute. I'm hoping to get to training at some stage this year as a few seconds with him would be such a highlight for my son and I think the chance would be much better at training, than at days like today, unless you were prepared to get there very early and line up for ages in the sun - not a great idea with a two year old. BTW, does anyone know if there is any fan involvement up in Sydney next week...ie a training session, or do they fly up on the day....

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Good post Teflon.
It does need some sort of revamp, my kids are olf enough now to enjoy a family day, but I wasn't going near it because of the queues and expected numbers.
It does need something to really encourage the kids along, they can't wait in queues, simply not workable.
Shame really.

Would love to see kids memberships, say under 10 handed out to the kids like premiership medallions, as you say Tef, sort them into age groups.

get a photo with your idol, just like Dreamworld etc.

It would encourage me to take them....

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Firstly, it should've been at Moorabbin - we haven't left there yet, and that is where more of our fans live.

I would've gone if it was at Moorabbin.

Yes, it's ONLY about the kids - surely our club should've learnt that by now?

Hopefully these issues will be addressed by next season.

Great work Teffers!

AlpineStars
Club Player

My son only lined up for Lenny couldn't get the smile off his face and he is still out front kicking the footy.

There are not many elite sports in the world you can get that close to your idols.

Wake me up when September ends.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Firstly, it should've been at Moorabbin - we haven't left there yet, and that is where more of our fans live.

Great work Teffers!
And just why should it have been at Moorabbin FFS???

There are no public toilets at Moorabbin for starters...

Yes the Club have learnt that Moorabbin is not a venue to hold these events (more so for the kids)...

Maybe you should learn to move on :idea:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Firstly, it should've been at Moorabbin - we haven't left there yet, and that is where more of our fans live.

Great work Teffers!

Yes the Club have learnt that Moorabbin is not a venue to hold these events (more so for the kids)...

Well, sounds like Moorabbin is a fair bit bigger than Frangga Oval.

Secondly, they can rent public toilets - just call Kenny :idea:

Whatya reckon Einstein???

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

Great work Teffers!

Well, sounds like Moorabbin is a fair bit bigger than Frangga Oval.

Secondly, they can rent public toilets - just call Kenny :idea:

Whatya reckon Einstein???
You are the only person that has suggested it should have been held at Moorabbin this year...

Yeah right rent public toilets (more costs and for what???)

MOVE ON FFS!!

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I suppose if we finished last for a few years, that would solve the problem.

doggerel
Club Player

I got there at 1pm. All the freebies were gone. My 6 yr old of course couldn't understand that everyone walking around could have posters and fans etc and he couldn't.
The free water station was out of cups.

The players sig. tents had queues like the first couple of games at Etihad.

The food vans and kids rides queues were just as bad. My guess is that the event setup would have been just okay if only about 25% of actual numbers turned up.

I have no idea if the club was taken by surprise at the numbers, or if this is standard fare. But the OP is right, drastic revamp and improvement is required. I will be contacting the club with the same feedback just in case they are under the impression that the day was a big hit just because a lot of people were there.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
saintnick12
Club Player

doggerel wrote:I got there at 1pm. All the freebies were gone. My 6 yr old of course couldn't understand that everyone walking around could have posters and fans etc and he couldn't.
The free water station was out of cups.

The players sig. tents had queues like the first couple of games at Etihad.

The food vans and kids rides queues were just as bad. My guess is that the event setup would have been just okay if only about 25% of actual numbers turned up.

I have no idea if the club was taken by surprise at the numbers, or if this is standard fare. But the OP is right, drastic revamp and improvement is required. I will be contacting the club with the same feedback just in case they are under the impression that the day was a big hit just because a lot of people were there.
Totally agree.

Imagine if we'd won last night, would have been even more there.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The last one I went to was the last one at Moorabbin..and it struggled to cope...with all the facilities like toilets etc still there

Its a tough one..but in this day and age you cant just let the players wander around..too many dills who'd bail up Kosi and give him a spray...or maybe they wouldnt have the ticker to do it to his face :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
maverick
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:The last one I went to was the last one at Moorabbin..and it struggled to cope...with all the facilities like toilets etc still there

Its a tough one..but in this day and age you cant just let the players wander around..too many dills who'd bail up Kosi and give him a spray...or maybe they wouldnt have the ticker to do it to his face :roll:
Definitely no ticker to do that.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I am sure the club would welcome any suggestions benh@saints.com.au, jonothanw@saints.com.au, michaeln@saints.com.au

re the half and half clinic suggestion- yes will work for swans- less people

has been done when first at Frankston and the fact is that- even with the rookies- they spend as much time signing things and posing for photo graphs as doing the clinics
Good on the rookies to be willing to do this today-

as I said to friends who said " it's better when they wander"_ as already stated- How far would some get. at least in tents there is a fair chance of some seeing them. and that lines keep moving.
being seperate tents with the "names' being spread helps

some clubs appear to do one long table/ tent- and then it only has one line- or you get the same people pushing into every line- :shock:

maybe restricting it to Kids would help,.....

anyone have any idea how the Bulldogs coped with 12,000 and how they went about signatures etc.

there were more things for kids to do today- both the rides- and the St george tent with various activities.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

PS thank goodness those at the front / near the stage this year SAT down so others could see

AND the players and the assistants managed to have the Jumpers turned the right way round..

all players very friendly to the kids-

and the BEST way to see the team? GET lost- and spend an hour near the stage area :)

did anyone find that child in the Bulldog jumper?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Well, it is apparent that the club is in new territory now that we have had virtually a decade of success.

It is fantastic to see the crowds of people at anything from training, to Family Days.

Sounds like the club organisers have been caught off guard by the overwhelming support for this great club and will need to learn from the experience.

I think it is really important that the people who have posted so eloquently like Teflon, should, as Saintbrat said, contact the club and make suggestions. The club will surely take in the feedback and improve things.

Imagine if we do the Premiership this year, how many people will go then?
Could we possibly organise autograph days at Open Training Sessions and publicise those dates?

I am just thrilled to see so many people excited about St Kilda and as someone said it is great that the players were there. Don't know about stopping adults getting autographs because we are big kids too and may be getting autographs for our children while they are playing.

It would be good if maybe the players made themselves accessible at The Victory Room when we have a day game so the kids can get autographs then.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Milan Faletic wrote:It would be good if maybe the players made themselves accessible at The Victory Room when we have a day game so the kids can get autographs then.

They are available for autographs in the Victory Room. Before each home game there is a notice up on the glass advising which players will be in attendance after the game.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

snoopygirl wrote:
Milan Faletic wrote:It would be good if maybe the players made themselves accessible at The Victory Room when we have a day game so the kids can get autographs then.

They are available for autographs in the Victory Room. Before each home game there is a notice up on the glass advising which players will be in attendance after the game.
True..but the players come in much later after the game now than they did years ago.

If it is a night game this can be very VERY late. However last year on occassion some injured players, rookies etc who were not playing came in earlier which was most welcome initiative. Not just for the kids, but for adults too who enjoy the player interviews.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
TriColourDisciple
Club Player

We left Frankston feeling very deflated.
Earlier today, I'd ran in the Run4kids funrun which was a huge scale event with 30,000 runners, (and their family & friends watching on) the entire day ran like clockwork-everyone happy.

At Frankston, it was somewhat different. 90% of our day was spent waiting in line in the blazing sun, just so as my 11 year old could get a felt tipped squiggle from her hero, on the white panel of her Saints jumper.
With only five people in front of her, she was feeling as if the long wait was all worthwhile

Until, the cocky security staff, who seemed to get some perverse pleasure out of telling the remainder of the line that they've missed out.

She tried to hide it from us but the tears were rolling down her cheeks.

After consoling her, we took a seat on the grass to watch the jumper presentation. maybe that might go some way into cheering her up. Only to have everybody stand up in front of us preventing her from seeing anything. I reassured her that the host will surely tell every body to sit down as the day IS for little people. But no...

Thank goodness the sand sculptures went some way into making the trip to Frankston enjoyable

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972