Umpiring?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lefty
Club Player

Umpiring?

Anyone else think it was clearly one sided?

I thought it was pretty crap to be honest.

Holding the ball x2 on Montagna?
Milne was called a trip instead of kicking in danger?
Zac's free's against him?
Milne got hit on top of the head by Harry O Brian, 3rd quarter, play on?
There was one huge throw in the middle, can't remember who.

There was a crapload of them, I recorded the game, so should be able to highlight all of them afterwards.

Oh and surely that Leigh Brown gets reported for the hit on Roo, 50m+ away from the Ball. Steven King got one last year if I recall.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I don;t normally winge about the umpiring, but I agree on this occasion...we were screwed

Nee!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

it was a joke and was almost funny at one stage.

btw didn't they highlight the "standing by the man on the mark and taking them out" all week yet let this happen all night (except for one)

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Very poor, Milne had his head ripped at one point and no free

I love this club
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Pretty terrible, and the free kick count must be hideously lop-sided (I didn't catch the whole game, counted about 6 to us). None of it amounted to much...most cost us scoring opportunities, but few would have added to their score.

lefty
Club Player

Yea, I thought you weren't allowed to Sheppard the man on the mark?
What happened there?

Also, did anyone see what happened to Armo, around the same time as Roo went down (just shortly after)? Someone clean him up or something?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Don't want to get into the whole umpiring thing but I did get incensed that Harry O'Brien, as good as he was, was basically able to do what he liked against Milne (including launching himself at Milne's arm and getting paid for a trip :shock: )

Quite often got into Milne's back without penalty.

Mood made worse when Blake got pulled up in the last quarter for what Harry had been doing all night. Ah well....

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

It was shocking, When Fisher went down in the 3rd qrt which was around the 17 minute mark (correct me if I am wrong) as i was listening to it on the radio so I am not sure.

The free kick count for JUST that qrt was Collingwood 11 - St Kilda 3
Now that's a free kick every what 92 odd seconds (if it was 17 minutes in)

Umpiring was shocking, but we won and that's all that counts, but Collingwood do get away with murder, its the only reason why they got the points last week again Melbourne.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
Seaford_Saint
Club Player

I always argue with my wife & parents... they always crap on about the umpiring being against us..... I never agree with them.... nearly always things even themselves out and very rarely do umpires directly affect the result of the game.

But tonight.... I agreed.... Qtrs 2 & 3 were deplorable...... completely screwed over in every respect..... if it wasn't for our tenacity, it could have been the final straw (on top of the injuries) for us to roll over and die tonight.

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
Milton66
SS Life Member

A lot of high tackles went unrewarded for us. And a few dodgy holding the balls where the ump was blind sided.

At least they can't whinge about it, like the Doggies.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Solar
Saintsational Legend

unfortunately tonight showed that schneider is still a marked man in the umps eyes, wont get a free unless he has no head. Shame

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:unfortunately tonight showed that schneider is still a marked man in the umps eyes, wont get a free unless he has no head. Shame
Dawson's not going anywhere fast either.

LennyBoy
Club Player

A very confusing night of umpiring....

2 soft free kicks before the opening bounce

2.5 quarters of Collingwood getting soft frees

No head high contact enforced

Diving rewarded :roll:

Ruck holding paid in 3 quarter only

Disgraceful effort.

Poochy 1 2 3 4 and 5 should be reinstated!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Watching replay and this is a joke we were crucified.

Milnes tackle qtr 1 on Obrien - he swung him round a full rotation?????WTF?

Hayes head down crunched - play on?????

Very ordinary effort by umpires tonight.

“Yeah….nah””
SaintDebi
Club Player

Umpiring was really poor tonight. Glad we stood up and beat the yellow team as well as the black & white one.

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

but was it much different to last week? the umpires just seem to be pretty indecisive at times. they are blowing the whilstle at just about any opportunity they get. anyone remember that passage of play last week when the ball went out of bounds on the wing and the umpire thought there was a free kick and then changed his mind, so he decided to bounce it? :? laughable stuff.

unfortunately, three rounds in, the standard of umpiring looks to have even diminished from last year. they just need to be instructed to leave these tiggy-touch-wood decisions alone and let the bloody game flow.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
maz1685
Club Player

I agree umpiring was crap in first half, Saints couldn't catch a break, it didn't appear as one sided in the second half though, but re: Zac Dawson, I thought the frees against him were warranted, he was very frustrating to watch, he'd improved by the end though.

Saints43
Club Player

I don't usually complain about umpiring - I think they do a terrific job generally. If you watch matches as a neutral then they do a good job.

But, there was little reward for being first to the footy tonight.

Beekay
SS Life Member

Milne should have got 3 free kicks that he didn't.

One where the ump said he ducked his head , but he was already low, and got hit front on.

Another he was tackled around his neck in the 50.

And another when his hands were kicked yet somehow he got a free kick against.

I know it might sound a bit one eyed, but I think there is a little bit of a lack of respect for Milney from the umpires from time to time.

Beej
Saintsational Legend

CLEARLY one-sided.

I don't remember a game as one-sided as that.

Some of those holding the ball decisions were incredibly harsh. It's at the stage now where, in a 50/50 contest, with the ball at ground level, it's better NOT to try win the footy.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Everybody makes mistakes - and the umpires are entitled to a couple per game. As mentioned, over the course of the four quarters, they usually tend to cancel each other out, and not have an impact on the final score all too much.

But this was an absolutely deplorable effort. Collingwood got a number of rubbish frees (several of them inside F50), and the amount of frees missed to Saints players (many of which have already been pointed out) is a disgrace. Sharpen up, Gieschen, Humphrey-Smith & Co.

The bias tonight was disgraceful.

*Cue plugger66 saying they were terrific*

The Saints are coming!
Beej
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:Everybody makes mistakes - and the umpires are entitled to a couple per game. As mentioned, over the course of the four quarters, they usually tend to cancel each other out, and not have an impact on the final score all too much.

But this was an absolutely deplorable effort. Collingwood got a number of rubbish frees (several of them inside F50), and the amount of frees missed to Saints players (many of which have already been pointed out) is a disgrace. Sharpen up, Gieschen, Humphrey-Smith & Co.

I would be surprised if he didn't agree with this thread.

Really surprised.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:Everybody makes mistakes - and the umpires are entitled to a couple per game. As mentioned, over the course of the four quarters, they usually tend to cancel each other out, and not have an impact on the final score all too much.

Ordinary tonight. We won i dont care and even if i did not sure anyone is listening.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:It was shocking, When Fisher went down in the 3rd qrt which was around the 17 minute mark (correct me if I am wrong) as i was listening to it on the radio so I am not sure.

Umpiring was shocking, but we won and that's all that counts, but Collingwood do get away with murder, its the only reason why they got the points last week again Melbourne.
It was Vozzo continually paying the frees to Collingwood and ignoring any to the Saints. It was blantanly obvious.

Another opportunity awaits!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:It was shocking, When Fisher went down in the 3rd qrt which was around the 17 minute mark (correct me if I am wrong) as i was listening to it on the radio so I am not sure.

It was Vozzo continually paying the frees to Collingwood and ignoring any to the Saints. It was blantanly obvious.
It was twenty something, was that Vozzo? :x