Nick out for 16 weeks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Nick out for 16 weeks

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Who's he? :shock:

Another opportunity awaits!
Griggsy
SS Life Member

As long as he plays finals I can deal with it. We will make it there without him and we will go from there, maybe an away final is on the cards, but we can beat anyone, anywhere at full strength.

I remain optimistic, If you give up hope after round THREE, then I feel sorry for you.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Seriously ignore this bulltish.

Newspaper ringing dialaquote to get a story.

He has absolutely no freakin idea how bad Nick's injury is.

Was he his fkn attending physician?

This clown has been spruiking worst case since it happened.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Seriously ignore this bulltish.

Just having a feeling he would know 99% more than people on here. If he is right and it is 16 weeks and i have no reason to doubt him then it is a huge blow for the club. If it 12 weeks which was also mentioned and we are still in the top 4 then it isnr as serious a blow. Time will tell but get ready for plenty of these stories and fair enough to as he is probably the most vital player to any finals side in the AFL.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Larkins - Dr or not - is guessing. Free speech is one thing. Inane speculation is another. Can we give the half-baked predictions a bit of a rest for a bit you reckon?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
kaos theory
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Just having a feeling he would know 99% more than people on here. If he is right and it is 16 weeks and i have no reason to doubt him then it is a huge blow for the club. If it 12 weeks which was also mentioned and we are still in the top 4 then it isnr as serious a blow. Time will tell but get ready for plenty of these stories and fair enough to as he is probably the most vital player to any finals side in the AFL.
Well, Nick is an elite sportsman of the highest calibre in this game. That elitism carries through to how well he can recover from injury. Larken takes no account of this.

Larken works in the media. His job & the media's job is to highlight the extremes in these cases. You should know that....

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:He has absolutely no freakin idea how bad Nick's injury is.
agreed. the saints are already playing ducks and drakes by refusing to put a number on it, so i'm not sure that anyone outside our medical room would have any real idea what's going on.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

he may know more but he is speculating and being sensastionlist...evn you should be able to see this plugger.

the club is making a statement with the club doc and roo later this week. how about we wait for that. the australian is saying 14, the age 12 and the abc 10. how facking ridiculous

#1 Ryder fan
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

About time we developed an alternative game plan. Who knows, maybe Ross has already planned for this type of scenario. I reckon he has a bag of tricks that he can use and as much as it defines where St.Kilda is as a team it will also define where Lyon is as a coach. It's going to be damn interesting and if it comes off ie the Saints finish 1 or 2 at the end of the year then Lyon's coaching credibility will go thru the roof.

Another opportunity awaits!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Selling papers.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:About time we developed an alternative game plan. .
Most of the gameplan will not and should not change.

"Part' of our tactics for forward entry changes.

Kosi when he gets back will have a different role. He was very conscious of keeping out of Roo's way whereas Kosi will becopme the No 1 goto target. But Kosi will not roam as far as Roo.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

What does Dr Spaceman say?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Dr Larkins is THE most credible sports journalist in the business. He would know far more than virtually anyone bar his surgeon. Pete Larkins has spoken with Roos surgeon who he knows quite well apparently - Julian Fellar.

I have heard Doc Larkins put a time frame on injuries many times. 90% of the time he's right. Many times he puts a disclaimour on the end of his predictions, telling everyone that we're dealing with elite athletes. He usually gives a prediction as to what the avergae Jo Blow would take to recover from the injury and then says what an AFL footballer would take. He reckons 12 months for the average Jo, 16 weeks for an elite footballer, barring nothing going wrong I don't think that's being alarmist, it's just the facts.

I want a flag as much as anyone, but learnt from 05 that rushing guys back helps no-one in the end. Hopefully Roo can get fit in time, I'm not optimistic about it though. I'm still optimistic about the saints this year however.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Just stand Roo on the boundary, and that will be enough to inspire his team mates.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Larkins said last night Riewoldt would miss at least 12-16 weeks, with a return in 2011 the worst-case scenario.

Anywhere between 12 weeks and the season is what he said. Fairly broad target range there.

I know a surgeon who says Larkin is a running joke in the industry.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Dr Larkins is THE most credible sports journalist in the business. He would know far more than virtually anyone bar his surgeon. Pete Larkins has spoken with Roos surgeon who he knows quite well apparently - Julian Fellar.

I have heard Doc Larkins put a time frame on injuries many times. 90% of the time he's right. Many times he puts a disclaimour on the end of his predictions, telling everyone that we're dealing with elite athletes. He usually gives a prediction as to what the avergae Jo Blow would take to recover from the injury and then says what an AFL footballer would take. He reckons 12 months for the average Jo, 16 weeks for an elite footballer, barring nothing going wrong I don't think that's being alarmist, it's just the facts.

I want a flag as much as anyone, but learnt from 05 that rushing guys back helps no-one in the end. Hopefully Roo can get fit in time, I'm not optimistic about it though. I'm still optimistic about the saints this year however.
The posters who are bagging Larkins are being more than a bit silly, but - being a journo as well as a doctor - he does get tend to the old eggbeater out and make things more dramatic than they actually are.

I remember clearly when Nick hurt his shoulder the second time in 2005 - when the mongrel Bulldog (can't remember who it was) deliberately threw him onto the ground with the aim of hurting it again - Larkins said "season-ending". But he was back perfectly ok in a few weeks.

So I am actually a bit encouraged by Larkins's comment: it means 16 weeks at the very worst.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Legendary
Club Player

Moccha wrote:About time we developed an alternative game plan. Who knows, maybe Ross has already planned for this type of scenario. I reckon he has a bag of tricks that he can use and as much as it defines where St.Kilda is as a team it will also define where Lyon is as a coach. It's going to be damn interesting and if it comes off ie the Saints finish 1 or 2 at the end of the year then Lyon's coaching credibility will go thru the roof.
Good post, agree with the sentiment.

I think the general conclusion is that Riewoldn't not going to be back anytime before about 10 weeks, and it may be as long as the season.

Which means it will be somewhere in between.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

16 weeks....so be it...

He can neither bless nor curse the power that moves him, for he does not know from where it comes. Learning that it can be more terrible to be injured than to lose, he is driven onward through the burning crucible of the sidelines, where champions and heroes are cleansed and purged for Stkildas great purpose, until at last, at the end of human strength, beaten into the dust from which he came, Riewoldt is ready for the makers hand.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I would have thought Brown to Brisbane is more important personally.
Also think Hodge to the Hawks is as well.

Not playing down Roo's effect on us, but we forget too easily other teams and the effect losing their key player will have.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Bah, dont listen to Larkins FFS, he maybe a doctor, he is ALSO a self loving media flog! He has NO idea of the ins and outs of what is going on. Seriously, ignore him.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Any Doctor who has time to whack out 300 words for the Hun, lurk around Channel 9, and do radio on the weekends mustn't have much of a queue down outside his surgery door...

And to whoever above referred to Larkins as 'the most respected sports journo out there' has spoken volumes about the good Doctor's medical prowess you'd reckon...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
markp
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Bah, dont listen to Larkins FFS, he maybe a doctor, he is ALSO a self loving media flog! He has NO idea of the ins and outs of what is going on. Seriously, ignore him.
Exactly... he gives medical diagnoses through a pair of binoculars.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

'Doctor Smooth' doesn't work on channel 9 anymore, not on The Sunday Footy Show anyhow....

matrix
Saintsational Legend