Out Riewoldt In R.Clarke

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

henno
Club Player

Out Riewoldt In R.Clarke

source: saints.com.au

saints 2011.
Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

Good to see Raph back in the team, he will need to make good use of this opportunity though...

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

hmmm

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Solar
Saintsational Legend

oooooo nearly right

:) welcome back raph, I will back you all the way on sunday. Would love to see him get a go forward next to BJ and chips. Can't wait for the abuse to start...

anyone want to have a guess at what minute raph will be blamed for something? Not breaking the banner? missing a shot at goal in the warm up? :wink:

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Being Roo's replacement, can we all go ROOOOOOO when Raph gets the ball????

Or something similar????

(just kidding)

kaos theory
Club Player

Seems resonable.

Point is, next week Kosi has to come in, so if stanley got a game this week, he would have to make way for Kosi the following week.

Raph is going to bring more versatility than stanley at this stage.

With Kosi in next week, we will have many options for mids & smalls to work with Kosi up forward....

Kosi as the main target, he will also be encouraged to lead up more, though won't be able to do what Rooey does.

Supporting making forwards would be:
Gardiner as resting KP FF,
Fisher & Goddard as marking HFFs, and milney & schindes as the crumbers
Last edited by kaos theory on Fri 16 Apr 2010 6:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

Buckets
SS Life Member

IMO isnt like for like. We now go in with a very very suspect forward line. Would have rathered Stanley even if just to bring the ball to ground for the crumbers.
Schnieds and milney are not key fowards they are crumbing players. We are going to have to rely on mids to kick the goals this week. Kingy and Gards are going to have their work cut out for them on Sandi!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
saintluke
Club Player

Stanley also would have provided another ruck option, albeit an inexperienced one against the giant. However with Gardiner needed up forward I'm concerned the burden will be slightly to great for old man king!

Then again I don't coach the St. Kilda FC!

In Ross I Trust 8-)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:

anyone want to have a guess at what minute raph will be blamed for something? Not breaking the banner? missing a shot at goal in the warm up? :wink:

.......... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ............i have made myself a promise this year.....i will get anyone i hear abuse raph removed from the ground.......and i'm deadly serious......i will do what it takes......so you raph abusers have been warned...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
kaos theory
Club Player

Buckets wrote:IMO isnt like for like. We now go in with a very very suspect forward line. Would have rathered Stanley even if just to bring the ball to ground for the crumbers.
Schnieds and milney are not key fowards they are crumbing players. We are going to have to rely on mids to kick the goals this week. Kingy and Gards are going to have their work cut out for them on Sandi!
I think RL is banking on the team as a whole to do the job this week, while he prepares for the tougher games in the following weeks & Kosi's return.

Getting games into raph provides that important flexibility, for dealing with the harder opponents. Stanley, at this stage of his development will not.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Solar wrote:

.......... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ............i have made myself a promise this year.....i will get anyone i hear abuse raph removed from the ground.......and i'm deadly serious......i will do what it takes......so you raph abusers have been warned...
another wise man

FQF
In richo I trust

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Thought they would do that. Think we will be a bit unpredictable....which is good.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Zack needs to have a good game, to ensure he doies not make way for Kosi next week.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I just can't read facebook when Raph is an inclusion, makes me really mad. :x

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

BJ, Fish or gilbert are going to have to play forward as we are going to need a marking option up forward.
I'm glad Raph is back, but I do believe Stanley was the better option for team balance.
Gardiner may go forward for short periods, but he and Kingy are going to be needed in the ruck to battle Sandilands and co.
We are going to have to keep them to a low score.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
jmac101
Club Player

i cant help but think that people are getting a bit carried away with stanley's nab cup form. he is going to be a great player, but he hardly 'dominated' in the nab cup. further, key forward/ruck youngsters rarely make an impact in their first few full seasons.

as tempting as it is to 'blood youngsters for the future', our time is now and we need to win as many games as we can right now (how often were we praying for just one win 10 years ago?) that means playing the best as they are right now. stanley is going to be a very good player for the saints. but at this stage i think raph is a better player.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Zack needs to have a good game, to ensure he doies not make way for Kosi next week.
and just who will play Full Back???

I am not into knocking players but Mini's form this year is just a shadow from last years form and he really needs to pick up and regain last years form.

His disposal efficiency in his last match was just 46%.

We have Jack Steven as an emergency this week and the pressure will be on mini to regain last year's form IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

jmac101 wrote:i cant help but think that people are getting a bit carried away with stanley's nab cup form. he is going to be a great player, but he hardly 'dominated' in the nab cup. further, key forward/ruck youngsters rarely make an impact in their first few full seasons.

as tempting as it is to 'blood youngsters for the future', our time is now and we need to win as many games as we can right now (how often were we praying for just one win 10 years ago?) that means playing the best as they are right now. stanley is going to be a very good player for the saints. but at this stage i think raph is a better player.
agreed, if we were to play stanely I would like us to have one of the kosi or roo next to him. Perhaps drop a ruck and play both kosi and stanely through the forward line and ruck? Thought going forward.

FQF
In richo I trust

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Raph to the forward line....He can take a grab.

Or Fisher I guess.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

jmac101 wrote:i cant help but think that people are getting a bit carried away with stanley's nab cup form. he is going to be a great player, but he hardly 'dominated' in the nab cup. further, key forward/ruck youngsters rarely make an impact in their first few full seasons.

I think that's pretty much on the money.

If we were a Melbourne or a Richmond I reckon Stanley would be in now (as would about another 8 blokes we've got playing at Sandy :D )

However as you say our time is now and unless you get some of these kids absolutely blowing VFL games apart on a weekly basis it is going to be very difficult for them to push up.

Stanley is a very exciting prospect, and it's understandable that fans want to see him out there, but there's no doubt Raph is the safer option. And with Roo out for a considerable time, there is a need to play a bit safe and bag as many wins as we can prior to the second coming. :wink:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think Lyon has a history of favouring mature bodies.

With Kosi back next week...one advantage of this selection is that a number of players know that they will really have to perform to hold their place.

An IN of Stanley would most likely have been an OUT one week later.

Freo playa small forward line...

Watching how our forward line structures up and what rotations occur will be fascinating.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:oooooo nearly right

:) welcome back raph, I will back you all the way on sunday. Would love to see him get a go forward next to BJ and chips. Can't wait for the abuse to start...

Just hope he is not blamed for a poor game.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Would rather have seen Stanley in for Roo - closer to a like-for-like swap. However, Raph has been given an opportunity, and will most likely spend some time forward, so be interesting to see if he seizes it.

Kick a bag Raph 8-)

The Saints are coming!
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:Would rather have seen Stanley in for Roo - closer to a like-for-like swap. However, Raph has been given an opportunity, and will most likely spend some time forward, so be interesting to see if he seizes it.

Kick a bag Raph 8-)
Some fair form in the NAB series does not really equate for a "closer to a like -for-like swap"

There have been many a good player that has played well in the NAB series that amount to nothing in the big time.

Just be patient, he will be a good player IMO, but a big ask without too many other tall options ATM.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:Would rather have seen Stanley in for Roo - closer to a like-for-like swap. However, Raph has been given an opportunity, and will most likely spend some time forward, so be interesting to see if he seizes it.

Kick a bag Raph 8-)
Like for like? Seems a common expression for those interested in pushing for Stanley.

Let's see:

Tall - check
Good leap - check
Fair hair - check

However:

Can run all day - yet to be proven
Can turn his opponent inside out - yet to be proven
Is an absolute freak - yet to be proven

So yes, if we want someone who looks like Rooey from a distance (of say 200 metres :D) then Stanley may be your bloke (especially as poor Jarryd Allen had to retire)

But if you really want "like for like" then I reckon RL is on the money with Sam Fisher.

And if Sam is to play on the forward line then I think Raph is in fact the best "like for like" for him.