How does BJ go in the brownlow?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

How does BJ go in the brownlow?

Was curious if anyone knows how well BJ has done in the past with the brownlow? does his angst at the umpires mean he gets less votes? Otherwise he must be a good bet with roo out for awhile

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He would be a smoky for the coleman if he spends a bit of time up there, I think he still is too much of an angry pants to win the brownlow :)

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Look out for Dal IMHO. He has had a blinder of a start and does get votes.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:Look out for Dal IMHO. He has had a blinder of a start and does get votes.
I reckon he'd have six or seven votes already.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

BJ doesn't poll too great, due to having other players play well and the umps not liking him.

Remember the game where he kicked 5 goals in the first quarter and then went back to defence and racked up 30 odd touches against West Coast last year? 0 votes!!

He did manage to come to 10 last year I believe but IMO he should have done better than Lenny.

I'm still spewing as I had $10 each way on BJ at the start of last year... would have come away with about 6 grand if he won it...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
The Peanut
Club Player

BJ 2009 14 votes
R1 - 3, R6 - 3, R13 - 3, R16 - 1, R17 - 1, R18 - 3
2008 6
2007 ?
2006 6

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Overated that umpires dont vote for players who mouth off or are a bit violent. Dipper, Plugger, Williams twice and I am sure many others.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Overated that umpires dont vote for players who mouth off or are a bit violent. Dipper, Plugger, Williams twice and I am sure many others.
Buckley.

Time to get on Goddard! I can see him winning it!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Overated that umpires dont vote for players who mouth off or are a bit violent. Dipper, Plugger, Williams twice and I am sure many others.
Barassi, Whitten, Carey and I'm sure many others.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Was thinking that too Bernard. He may win the AFLPA award if he continues his form.

mick13
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:BJ doesn't poll too great, due to having other players play well and the umps not liking him.

Remember the game where he kicked 5 goals in the first quarter and then went back to defence and racked up 30 odd touches against West Coast last year? 0 votes!!

He did manage to come to 10 last year I believe but IMO he should have done better than Lenny.

I'm still spewing as I had $10 each way on BJ at the start of last year... would have come away with about 6 grand if he won it...
haha yeah, I chucked a 5a on him. First round 'St Kilda - B. Goddard 3 votes' was like...boys if he wins this, beers on me for the next decade'

Alas. :(

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
Was thinking that too Bernard. He may win the AFLPA award if he continues his form.
with no roo and in among the goals now just thought he might push for the medal. Might get a little on he and dal

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

don't worry, the way he's playing, he will win it.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Does that cancel out the others or does it just prove that under the 3,2,1 system the best player for the season usually wins it.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think his mouthing off every time any decision goes against him ruins his chances not his attack on other players. Dal santo does the smooth moves and will probably take the votes away, but without Riewoldt he has his best chance this season. Nick Riewoldt going down probably give one of our mids a real chance though. Lenny started slow but as he winds up he could give it a shake as well.

bendigo bob
Club Player

Think you will find that it takes several good seasons from a player before they come under the umps notice. His vote trend is improving and I reckon that in the next couple of years he is a good thing to win one provided no further injuries. The media will also be on his band wagon pretty soon. Maybe a quinella this year with dal and BJ?????

BJ has arrived!!!!!!!!!!

BJ's #1 Fan

Winner of the half time Social Club auction for Kosi's jumper Round 19 2005
Can we build it? Yes we can!!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
Does that cancel out the others or does it just prove that under the 3,2,1 system the best player for the season usually wins it.
The best player usually wins it?!!?!?!?

No chance....

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: How does BJ go in the brownlow?

Solar wrote:Was curious if anyone knows how well BJ has done in the past with the brownlow?
not great. past performance may not be a guarantee of future returns but it doesn't look great - he's apparently never played a two-vote game!

2009: 14 (4/0/2)
2008: 6 (2/0/0)
2007: 0
2006: 6 (2/0/0)
2005: 0
2004: 3 (1/0/0)
2003: 0

interesting that lenny never used to get good votes but in the last couple of years has gone gangbusters:

2009: 20 (6/0/2)
2008: 15 (3/2/2)
2007: 8 (1/2/1)
2006: 8 (2/1/0)
2005: 9 (0/4/1)
2004: 10 (2/2/0)
2003: 8 (2/0/2)
2002: 4 (1/0/1)
2001: 2 (0/1/0)
2000: 0
1999: 0

but last time i bet on any saint for the brownlow was lenny in 2006. played nine games for eight votes and then did his knee. never doing that again.

and then nicky dal santo always gets good votes:

2009: 17 (4/2/1)
2008: 3 (0/1/1)
2007: 16 (5/0/1)
2006: 10 (1/3/2)
2005: 18 (4/2/2)
2004: 12 (2/2/2)
2003: 5 (1/1/0)
2002: 0

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Just as well I couldnt give a fat rats clakka if any of our players got anywhere near the brownlow!! There is only one thing that matters this year, or any year for that matter.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

No chance....
How many players have won it lately that dont deserve it under the 3,2,1 system?

3:16
Club Player

That's why we've always called Dal- "Brownlow" from day 1, cause he has always been a "sure-thing" to win one!!!!!

"Cause Stone Cold said so"!!!!!

Shane Birss in 2008- Go the Pircha!!!!! RIP
Jarryn Geary-MIP in 2010!!!!!
Armitage=2010 SuperStar!!!!! (Luke Who)?????
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

No chance....
How many players have won it lately that dont deserve it under the 3,2,1 system?
Depends what you call "lately", but if we take the last 10 years,
Woewoden, Aker and a couple to Goodes stand out to me.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

No chance....
IMO Cooney year before last when Ablett was BY FAR the superior player for the year. I also query whether Ricciuto was truly 'the best' (ie on par with Buckley and Goodes) in that tied result a few years back. Same for Goodes. He was good, but Buckley was awesome then. Woewodin's win has a cloud hanging over it. Not so sure either Crawford was necessarily the best in '99. All IMO of course. But there's a few that I find a bit odd.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
rexy
SS Life Member

Disagree on Woewodin Crawford and Riccuitio, thought they were all deserving, Woewodin could just never live up to the expectation Charlie bought with it, Riccuito and Crawford both very god in their respective years. Thought Cooney had a very good year and think GAJ was a victim of playing in a side where there are lots of people to take votes off you, still think he was better than Cooney though. Goodes is a very good player but not a dual brownlow medalist IMO, gets noticed for the flashy things but doesnt have the overall contribution or the amazing work ethic of the Harveys Crawfords and Abletts.

Goddard to lippy IMO, will never poll unless he is BOG by a long stretch, thats why he doesnt get many 2 votes I think.

Maybe this year?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

No chance....
IMO Cooney year before last when Ablett was BY FAR the superior player for the year. I also query whether Ricciuto was truly 'the best' (ie on par with Buckley and Goodes) in that tied result a few years back. Same for Goodes. He was good, but Buckley was awesome then. Woewodin's win has a cloud hanging over it. Not so sure either Crawford was necessarily the best in '99. All IMO of course. But there's a few that I find a bit odd.
And did the same player win every other award those years. I doubt it very much. By the way i think Crawford was the shortest priced winner by brownlow night in the last 20 years.