Goal ump suspended for betting on 2009 Grand Final

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Goal ump suspended for betting on 2009 Grand Final

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Huge overeaction but I suppose no one should be betting on games even though I reckon most who like a punt do.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Huge overeaction but I suppose no one should be betting on games even though I reckon most who like a punt do.
Yeah...

I have not had a bet on the footy, but can't they just walk in to their local TAB and have a bet on a football match and nobody would even know???

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
ace
Saintsational Legend

I always suspected that the Geelong goal that hit the post was part of systematised corruption within the AFL.

Seems one goal umpire acted on inside knowledge without realising the bet he could be traced to him.
He will be more careful in future to make sure someone else places the bet like some of his smarter friends in the umpiring fraternity do.

Pity the AFL did not release how accurate the bets were, but that may have been a little too embarrassing.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Huge overeaction but I suppose no one should be betting on games even though I reckon most who like a punt do.
glad your happy for the umpires to be placing bets on the AFL. No way the AFL would be concerned that after a terrible goal umpiring decsion in the grand final that a "team mate" so to speak had money on the result.

Well done to the AFL for being able to track this down. With the amount of things you can bet on, it's crazy that anyone employed with the AFL would be making bets on it.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
glad your happy for the umpires to be placing bets on the AFL. No way the AFL would be concerned that after a terrible goal umpiring decsion in the grand final that a "team mate" so to speak had money on the result.

Well done to the AFL for being able to track this down. With the amount of things you can bet on, it's crazy that anyone employed with the AFL would be making bets on it.
Give it a miss. You are just acting like a 5 year old and a little sook.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

You two carrying the fight from thread to thread now!

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:

do your seriously happy with a goal umpire who trains with others who will be umpiring the biggest game of the year to place bets on the game? WOW!

sorry I have a view, even 6 year olds have views and sometimes they are even right!

FQF
In richo I trust

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:

do your seriously happy with a goal umpire who trains with others who will be umpiring the biggest game of the year to place bets on the game? WOW!

sorry I have a view, even 6 year olds have views and sometimes they are even right!
Please go away.

Saintsfan
Club Player

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:

You are one weird pal...

The Saintsfan Cometh
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

The fact is no one other than the goal umpire, the AFL and the bookmaker know just what were those four bets were, for all we know he could have betted on the Saints.

Yes, I am glad he got caught out along with the others, but it would have been interesting to know just what those bets were.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

I'm in shock

there are people happy with umpires putting bets on AFL games!??!

If there ever was a chance for match fixing in our game it would be easier to pay off a umpire then to get enough players to dog it.

Tell me no-one has a second wonder about that goal umpiring decision in the grand final.

The AFL was totally correct, any chance that this could happen or people believe that this COULD happen would be a huge dent in the comp's image.

FQF
In richo I trust

Solar
Saintsational Legend

really good explanation on SEN right now, the integrity of the game is paramount

FQF
In richo I trust

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

As long as all six people punished had previously been unambiguously advised that they were nor permitted to bet on AFL games, then I have no problem with this.

This is one of the benefits of having legal betting on games. In the past, games could be rigged so that the favoured team would lose and the mug punter placing bets with the illegal bookies would do their dough.

At least one Sydney Rugby League GF was rigged in this way in the late 1940s, with the referee paid off to penalize one team much more heavily than the other.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:As long as all six people punished had previously been unambiguously advised that they were nor permitted to bet on AFL games, then I have no problem with this.

This is one of the benefits of having legal betting on games. In the past, games could be rigged so that the favoured team would lose and the mug punter placing bets with the illegal bookies would do their dough.

At least one Sydney Rugby League GF was rigged in this way in the late 1940s, with the referee paid off to penalize one team much more heavily than the other.
Yes great they were caught and rightfully punished, but what's to stop them (and others) walking up to their local TAB and having a bet??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
meher baba wrote:As long as all six people punished had previously been unambiguously advised that they were nor permitted to bet on AFL games, then I have no problem with this.

Yes great they were caught and rightfully punished, but what's to stop them (and others) walking up to their local TAB and having a bet??
Nothing i can honestly say i know a few that do. They can onviously get their mates to bet as well. We would be naive if we didnt think players and administrators dont bet on games but I would doubt many if any bet against their own side.

By the way do people really think a goal umpire may wreck his career to help a mate win bugger all with $60 worth of bets.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

Nothing i can honestly say i know a few that do. They can onviously get their mates to bet as well. We would be naive if we didnt think players and administrators dont bet on games but I would doubt many if any bet against their own side.

By the way do people really think a goal umpire may wreck his career to help a mate win bugger all with $60 worth of bets.
Well, you would generally think not...

But this had to be acted upon strongly. You cannot, CANNOT have officials gambling on the outcome of games, awards or anything to do with the game.

There are just so many ways that one person with a gambling issue could damage the game.

And I knew the **** had the GF rigged.

That maggot knew it hit the post :P

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

The headline for this story on ABC News made it out to be about a goal umpire who had umpired in the GF (i.e. our mate who have Tomahawk a goal for hitting the post), but it turned out to be a goalie who had the day off. I was expecting a juicy story. Disappointed! haha...

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:The headline for this story on ABC News made it out to be about a goal umpire who had umpired in the GF (i.e. our mate who have Tomahawk a goal for hitting the post), but it turned out to be a goalie who had the day off. I was expecting a juicy story. Disappointed! haha...
Not on the ABC news I saw.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
BakesFan
SS Life Member

WOW!!..If nothing else, this one post strongly suggests that you are nothing more than an AFL mole/apologist/propagandist...

In calling it a "Huge overeaction" you've shown your true colours.....

Umpires betting on games is unforgivable...... It should result in immediate dismissal and a lifetime ban.

Bet on games OR be an umpire..... there should be no way you can do both.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BakesFan wrote:
WOW!!..If nothing else, this one post strongly suggests that you are nothing more than an AFL mole/apologist/propagandist...

In calling it a "Huge overeaction" you've shown your true colours.....

Umpires betting on games is unforgivable...... It should result in immediate dismissal and a lifetime ban.

Bet on games OR be an umpire..... there should be no way you can do both.
I fail to understand your post at all. i am disagreeing with the AFL but am an AFL mole. Doesnt make any sense. By the way when I said huge over reaction I was talking about most of the other suspensions not the goal umpire. He deserves a year for stupidy.

As I said I just dont get the post.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Sainternist wrote:The headline for this story on ABC News made it out to be about a goal umpire who had umpired in the GF (i.e. our mate who have Tomahawk a goal for hitting the post), but it turned out to be a goalie who had the day off. I was expecting a juicy story. Disappointed! haha...
Not on the ABC news I saw.
Not for the story itself, I meant before they had the sports section. It's just that they used GF footage from last year as small news reel excert.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:As I said I just dont get the post.
Tom Hawkin's didn't either. :wink:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Away from the mud slinging

ALL employees and officials of the AFL and the clubs receive plenty of education on the integrity of the comp and the rules about gambling on footy.

I doubt any of this lot are crooks

I am sure ALL OF THIS LOT are STUPID !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Away from the mud slinging

ALL employees and officials of the AFL and the clubs receive plenty of education on the integrity of the comp and the rules about gambling on footy.

I doubt any of this lot are crooks

I am sure ALL OF THIS LOT are STUPID !!
All the better reason for them to be encouraged to find a new line of work, me thinks.