8-3 is pretty good but the next 5 games are gonna test us

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

8-3 is pretty good but the next 5 games are gonna test us

Freo at Subi
Break
Geel at the G
Melb at Etihad
Bris at the Gabba
Coll at the G

3 or 4 wins would be a good result IMHO.

Any thoughts?

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

id take 3 right now, 2 in a pinch the way we are playing.

Legendary
Club Player

2-3 and we'll be just hanging in the top 4 come the end of the year (some tough games there, I'd think this would be worst case scenario).

3-2 would set us up for a great September with Rooey back in and a certain top 4 spot.

4-1 and we're almost certain to finish top 2.

5-0 and I'll book flights for Grand Final day 8-)

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:2-3 and we'll be just hanging in the top 4 come the end of the year (some tough games there, I'd think this would be worst case scenario).

3-2 would set us up for a great September with Rooey back in and a certain top 4 spot.

1-4
0-5 ?

Bring back the Lockett era
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: 8-3 is pretty good but the next 5 games are gonna test u

Milan Faletic wrote:Any thoughts?
we'd want to play better than we did tonight. there are still doubts about our ability to consistently kick winning scores.

hopefully we will rise to the challenge and do better against better competition.

Legendary
Club Player

jonesy wrote: 1-4
0-5 ?
Not entertaining those thoughts ...

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:2-3 and we'll be just hanging in the top 4 come the end of the year (some tough games there, I'd think this would be worst case scenario).

Good post.

westy
Club Player

I seem to remember that we were written-off a few weeks ago. Somehow we just keep hanging in and winning!

I'm livin' in a madhouse
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

westy wrote:I seem to remember that we were written-off a few weeks ago. Somehow we just keep hanging in and winning!
true, but we've beaten the three bottom sides.

Sainterman
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
westy wrote:I seem to remember that we were written-off a few weeks ago. Somehow we just keep hanging in and winning!
And 5 out of the other 8 we have played before that. Including 2 of the other 3 in the top 4...without our skipper.

One week at a time.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
we'd want to play better than we did tonight. there are still doubts about our ability to consistently kick winning scores.

hopefully we will rise to the challenge and do better against better competition.
Correct and we'd wanna do better in clearances than we did tonight otherwise we will get spanked by Cats who will just pumpo it fwd fast all day long.

Infact from tonight things that have to be worled on for mine:

Clearances - Tigers smashed us and lucklily struggled on the rebound.

Kick in from defence - is it my imagination but are the worst in this in the league? - we look slow, awkward, nervous.....why cant we set up to bring the ball back into play a tad quicker and maybe longer......?

Foot skills - Notice the importance of Goodard? Dal and Gwilt?? - all CAN hit a target. Even Hayes tonight butchered a few more than usual.....

Goal kicking - this has already cost us a GF...I wouldve thought this would be an area seriosuly worked on...we should have been 7 goals up at qtr time tonight....

4 qtr effort - once again tonight we played fits and spurts - against good sides we wont be allowed to do that........better get some consistency fast.

I think we are slowly getting there - but yep the next 5 tell us where we finish.

Freo the 8pt game....

“Yeah….nah””
rexy
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
As opposed to the sides above us who had already beaten them, incidentally we have beaten every side above us whom we have played also.

Maybe this year?
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Correct and we'd wanna do better in clearances than we did tonight otherwise we will get spanked by Cats who will just pumpo it fwd fast all day long.

Infact from tonight things that have to be worled on for mine:

Clearances - Tigers smashed us and lucklily struggled on the rebound.

Kick in from defence - is it my imagination but are the worst in this in the league? - we look slow, awkward, nervous.....why cant we set up to bring the ball back into play a tad quicker and maybe longer......?

Foot skills - Notice the importance of Goodard? Dal and Gwilt?? - all CAN hit a target. Even Hayes tonight butchered a few more than usual.....

Goal kicking - this has already cost us a GF...I wouldve thought this would be an area seriosuly worked on...we should have been 7 goals up at qtr time tonight....

4 qtr effort - once again tonight we played fits and spurts - against good sides we wont be allowed to do that........better get some consistency fast.

I think we are slowly getting there - but yep the next 5 tell us where we finish.

Freo the 8pt game....
Good post, I completely agree with that.

We did some good things tonight but IMO we looked really flat and disposal is still a worry. but we are improving each week and it looks like we're still tweaking and learning everything.

I think we should win three of these matches. Freo and Brisbane, while interstate are good chances for us I think. We played at Subiaco just a couple of weeks ago and I liked the way we played on that ground - think we may be able to get over the line there.

Brisbane will be tough, but we're a chance if we just play our best footy. We haven't really been doing that the last few times we've played them up there.

Geelong I've written off. If we win, great - but I'm not expecting to, I expect to lose in fact.

Melbourne we should beat. We are better than them and it should show that way. Then again, I also thought we were more than five goals better than Richmond too - go figure... :roll:

Collingwood will be tough but I think we can cover them.

3-2 would leave us at 11-5 with six rounds left and our captain coming back into the team.

We can really set our season up during this time.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Our next game the Freo one is the most important by far I reckon.

I can't see Cats missing top spot so if we're serious, we must beat Freo and hopefully the rest comes.

Rnd 16 against Pies could be big too.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
westy
Club Player

Quixote wrote:Our next game the Freo one is the most important by far I reckon.

I can't see Cats missing top spot so if we're serious, we must beat Freo and hopefully the rest comes.

Rnd 16 against Pies could be big too.
Too right it is. Because I want to walk out of Subi Oval singin' the song AGAIN

I'm livin' in a madhouse
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:

1-4
0-5 ?
1-4 In trouble and battling to get back into form for September.

0-5 Just about all gone, although if we win the last 6 which are much easier we'd still finish 14-8 which could sneak top 4 and at least gives us hope of a September dream.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

dont care if we come 2nd, 5th, or 8th - only want to avoid two things come the finals - the cats before the GF (as i want us to beat them in the big one), and freo away (due to the travel-return factor).
this team is good enough to win 4 on the trot - and the only reason more teams haven't won from below 4th is simply that the best teams come finals have usually shown that form early enough to wrap up a top four spot.
as long as we reach top form going into the finals i fear no one team - and it would be preferable to last season where we came top but had lost form by season's end.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Scottish Saint
Club Player

Actually, I think the next 7 games will test us - we've got Hawthorn and Essendon after the Collingwood game before 4 reasonably straightforward games to finish the season.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

We are gradually getting better each game but we are still going missing for to long. 2-3 is a realistic number which is not to bad.
Anymore is a very good result with the retun of Roo and a few more games into Stanley. Add to that McEvoy is improving as well.

I love this club
Solar
Saintsational Legend

exciting isn't it! thought the team was going through the motions last night and should lift a few cogs next week.

My guess is between 3-4 wins depending on when gram and roo come back

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Next 5 doesnt matter. Lose next week and top 2 in just about done. We need to win next week so we dont play Freo there again in the finals.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:exciting isn't it! thought the team was going through the motions last night and should lift a few cogs next week.

My guess is between 3-4 wins depending on when gram and roo come back
Very much so, I keep forgetting about Gram, Imagine them trying to stop the Roo, Stanley (yes I am a fan) and Mcevoy combo, with the odd appearance from Kosi

I love this club
Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Next 5 doesnt matter. Lose next week and top 2 in just about done. We need to win next week so we dont play Freo there again in the finals.
completely disagree

Group of young player, long season, a couple of injuries, a couple of shock loses (have not tipped it but would not be suprised to see the crows upset them) and freo are back in the pack. Their % is not great (about the same as ours) so it's more banking the points that is important.

Even if they get a final at subi I back the saints, pies or cats to beat them in a final.

FQF
In richo I trust

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Next 5 doesnt matter. Lose next week and top 2 in just about done. We need to win next week so we dont play Freo there again in the finals.
completely disagree

Group of young player, long season, a couple of injuries, a couple of shock loses (have not tipped it but would not be suprised to see the crows upset them) and freo are back in the pack. Their % is not great (about the same as ours) so it's more banking the points that is important.

Even if they get a final at subi I back the saints, pies or cats to beat them in a final.
We win next week and we can get second. If we lose we are probably 2 games behind and they have a much better run than us. Dont know about you but playing them in a final at Freo after losing to them at the same place earlier in the season isnt an ideal preparation. We need to win this week.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
completely disagree

We win next week and we can get second. If we lose we are probably 2 games behind and they have a much better run than us. Dont know about you but playing them in a final at Freo after losing to them at the same place earlier in the season isnt an ideal preparation. We need to win this week.
cats played us in a grand final after losing to us during the season, pies beat us a cuple of years back and we pumped them in the finals, we beat the hawks in 08 and the game was over by quarter time in that prelim.

I get what your saying but I still have HUGE doubts over them in finals. Can see them losing a qualifying final at home, win the semi and then lose to the cats in a prelim.

Too hard to call at this stage, ask me in round 20 :D

FQF
In richo I trust