Dawson's game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

battye
Saintsational Legend

Dawson's game

What did everyone think about his game?

A few ordinary efforts (like letting the goal run through), but he seemed okay overall. If Riewoldt and Kosi are good for next week I'm not sure Dawson has done enough to keep his spot though. Pattison and Dawson seem the likely outs, but it could well be Stanley if RL doesn't want to omit Dawson.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
backit
Club Player

He did some good things but they were not under pressure, the dumb things he did highlighted the lack of confidence which he had abundance of last year. He needs some big game time but do we give him that or use him as a backup as the back 6 have been playing well without him.

He gets outbodied too easily against hard players but showed against Spencer how he can use his body, if he could do that 75% + of the time he would be the first pick for fullback.

I don't know hard call but think he will be in ahead of Pattison and possibly Dempster this week when outs are named.

Finna
Club Player

Re: Dawson's game

battye wrote:What did everyone think about his game?

A few ordinary efforts (like letting the goal run through), but he seemed okay overall. If Riewoldt and Kosi are good for next week I'm not sure Dawson has done enough to keep his spot though. Pattison and Dawson seem the likely outs, but it could well be Stanley if RL doesn't want to omit Dawson.
Was ok I thought but to be honest I thought our backline looked its best last week without Dawson in the side. I dont know if its about Dawson himself or the balance and dimension the backline takes with Dawson out of the team.

Personally I like (no particular order) Blake, Fisher, Gilbert, Dempster, Gwilt and Geary then Raph and Baker when available. Unless for a specific matchup I have all of these guys ahead of Dawson.

Dawson is good for depth. If he can find last years form then he's in but otherwise he needs to earn his spot back for mine.

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
Saint4Eva
Club Player

Was he in the best last weekend????

saintbob
SS Life Member

Dawson was ordinary!!!

AGAIN!!!!

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Still in the victory room so I havnt watchedthe replay. Except for not attcking the ball on the goal line I think he is critical to our team.

The minute Spencer or Jamar wen forward Dawson is able to play on them because of his height. Allowing our ruckmen to stretch the opposition further down the ground.

He is a good kick, and does well bar a couple of things a game.

I think he should be in the side.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

no complaints about dawson... made ONE mistake... no worse then milnes stanleys hayes or goddards.....

he had 2 free against which one was as soft as melted butter.....

did his job played well enough hopefully did enough to be out there next week

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:Dawson was ordinary!!!

AGAIN!!!!
Rubbish - far from ordinary.

Sure the goal that went through he didnt attack the ball - but I also saw some telling marks in defence and some good clearance work.

He does need help 1 out andI saw Fisher get back to help him on the goal line on one occasion.

Its horses for courses - if we come up against a Carlton......Im not sure Id play him to be honest....we can cover Setanta but its theor 3 smalls who do us most damage..................against Hawks with Buddy/Roughead.....Id play him.

“Yeah….nah””
battye
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
saintbob wrote:Dawson was ordinary!!!

AGAIN!!!!
Rubbish - far from ordinary.

Sure the goal that went through he didnt attack the ball - but I also saw some telling marks in defence and some good clearance work.

He does need help 1 out andI saw Fisher get back to help him on the goal line on one occasion.

Its horses for courses - if we come up against a Carlton......Im not sure Id play him to be honest....we can cover Setanta but its theor 3 smalls who do us most damage..................against Hawks with Buddy/Roughead.....Id play him.
Yeah, I agree he took some strong marks. Did look like he was paying a bit more attention to the ball than the man too which is good, he has been guilty of not doing that in the past.

starsign
Club Player

yep apart from the the goal square blunder did a reasonable job today
Still think he's on the "horses for courses" list at the moment with team balance Vs who we have up forward as opponents each week , and not exactly walk up start in the 22

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:yep apart from the the goal square blunder did a reasonable job today
Still think he's on the "horses for courses" list at the moment with team balance Vs who we have up forward as opponents each week , and not exactly walk up start in the 22
Totally agree. He's fringe at the moment, good to keep him in the mix by playing him.

At the moment we have about 18 certainties and then about 10 who are all trying to cement a spot for the finals.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
battye
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:At the moment we have about 18 certainties and then about 10 who are all trying to cement a spot for the finals.
It's a good position to be in, but it's also a sad position for some players to be in... ie. Peake has been very good over the last few weeks but with the likes of Gram and Clarke returning me might be one of those that are going to make way.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:At the moment we have about 18 certainties and then about 10 who are all trying to cement a spot for the finals.
It's a good position to be in, but it's also a sad position for some players to be in... ie. Peake has been very good over the last few weeks but with the likes of Gram and Clarke returning me might be one of those that are going to make way.
Always sad stories.

Bakes could be the saddest.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Thought he did pretty well, really only one mistake which on camera from a different direction didn't look as bad as what it did initially.

To those people who booed him at the end of the game when he marked the ball, shame, shame, shame. You are as bad as Collingwood Supporters, infact I don't think they would even do that. :evil:

Qld Saints Supporter Group
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Thought he did pretty well, really only one mistake which on camera from a different direction didn't look as bad as what it did initially.

To those people who booed him at the end of the game when he marked the ball, shame, shame, shame. You are as bad as Collingwood Supporters, infact I don't think they would even do that. :evil:
Don't think that was booing Zac, that was booing the chipping round which itself is silly because it's part of a gameplan that has won 41/51 games.

battye
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:Thought he did pretty well, really only one mistake which on camera from a different direction didn't look as bad as what it did initially.

I thought the crowd was booing the team because they knew if we kicked one more goal I'd get a point in the margin competition :lol:

SaintWal
Club Player

Bakes will be in as long as we are playing Geelong and Johnson is in.

My gripe with Zac is, IMO, he has lost any attacking flair. Against Geelong we had under a handful of backwards kicks, sure the weather played a part, and of course we do not know the team directive, but I would love him to trust his skills and go early picking out an upfield target. We went backwards so many times again, was that the opposition? I doubt it.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:Bakes will be in as long as we are playing Geelong and Johnson is in.

My gripe with Zac is, IMO, he has lost any attacking flair. Against Geelong we had under a handful of backwards kicks, sure the weather played a part, and of course we do not know the team directive, but I would love him to trust his skills and go early picking out an upfield target. We went backwards so many times again, was that the opposition? I doubt it.
Zac is a backman.... A full back to more precise. I'm not too sure 'attacking flair' is at the top of his agenda. It wouldn't be if I was coach.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Still in the victory room so I havnt watchedthe replay. Except for not attcking the ball on the goal line I think he is critical to our team.

The minute Spencer or Jamar wen forward Dawson is able to play on them because of his height. Allowing our ruckmen to stretch the opposition further down the ground.

He is a good kick, and does well bar a couple of things a game.

I think he should be in the side.
I heard Lyon before the game and he stated thqat he was now trying to get games into Dawson. so you would think, that Lyon will keep playing him

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:

Don't think that was booing Zac, that was booing the chipping round which itself is silly because it's part of a gameplan that has won 41/51 games.
Absolutely, they weren't booing Zac. Some supporters just don't understand that a lot of soft tissue injuries happen in the last minutes of a game through fatigue. RL is big on letting the players catch their breath and avoid fatigue.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

battye wrote:

I thought the crowd was booing the team because they knew if we kicked one more goal I'd get a point in the margin competition :lol:
+1

After 2-3 years, you would think supporters would have figured out our game plan.

Although, Saints noise was pretty low tonight, most likely Melbourne supporters.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Mmmmm, not convinced, because I just watched the replay and the boo definately went up when he marked the ball. Also when we were in Melb for the Adel game, our supporters were booing him then also. Shocking.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:

Absolutely, they weren't booing Zac. Some supporters just don't understand that a lot of soft tissue injuries happen in the last minutes of a game through fatigue. RL is big on letting the players catch their breath and avoid fatigue.
Yes they need to put an announcement on the bigscreen or maybe loud speaker"

"To all booing morons,

What you are now witnessing is a side getting its breath, avoiding injury and practising some defensive skills that may come in handy later on. Your side has been able to do this because they have once again put away the challenger. Please dont adjust your eyes, but do adjust your friggin attitude, get a clue and STFU.

Thank you

Management".

“Yeah….nah””
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Why did we go in so tall today, when our coach is all about structures?
Dawson in for Kosi does not fit the structures when Pattison has come in for Bakes.
I reckon he was playing a practice game for Zac and Zac blew it with his week effort at the end of the first quarter. I don't know what his stats were, but I would think most of them were in junk time at the end of the quarters.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Why did we go in so tall today, when our coach is all about structures?
Dawson in for Kosi does not fit the structures when Pattison has come in for Bakes.
I reckon he was playing a practice game for Zac and Zac blew it with his week effort at the end of the first quarter. I don't know what his stats were, but I would think most of them were in junk time at the end of the quarters.
It's not really about stats for Zac, it's about how many goals his man kicked.