The REAL concern.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Buckets
SS Life Member

The REAL concern.

Is it just me or have at any stage this year really come to ball at the first bounce when its come to massive games? Today, last week and also against the cats, we didnt seem to come out of the blocks and found ourselves behind early on.
Is this something that the coaching staff need to look at? Unlike the lions and cats games we didnt even seem to switch on after half time which was really worrying. But do we really expect to just flick a switch and expect to get the game going in our favour? Is complacency creeping in a bit?

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
GoTheTorp
Club Player

I think we play too defensive nost of the time when we could be attacking.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

the pattern I have noticed, is that in many games we have a poor first half before kicking in to gear

Seeya
Longwayfromhome
Club Player

Maybe I have been watching the wrong team but I seem to remember the Geelong game and a St Kilda team coming out full strength in the first term. Should have been a mile in front but to no avail. It ain't the effort guys it's the personnel.
Some s*** players still getting a regular gig. Don't understand.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
Sainterman
Club Player

I don't think there will be much complacency after today, plenty of work to do after a performance like that.

After 7 in a row, with some good wins mixed in, I am willing to forgive todays performance. They will need to lift substantially if they are to win next week.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

not to make a point of it but in the geelong game by half time the score was
Stk 4.3 27
gee 6.7 43
we blew them away in the second half

Seeya
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

GoTheTorp wrote:I think we play too defensive nost of the time when we could be attacking.
Perhaps we are too conservative at times but we have built up the best defence in the league by virtue of our gamestyle.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Griggsy
SS Life Member

It is a bit of a concern, last season we were the opposite and blazed away early. Playing catch up footy is never a good thing and we can not be dependent on our 2nd half efforts come finals.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Griggsy wrote:It is a bit of a concern, last season we were the opposite and blazed away early. Playing catch up footy is never a good thing and we can not be dependent on our 2nd half efforts come finals.
So is this something that Ross has thought up? Esp in context to the GF last year where we ran out of puff? Or is it the playing group not mentally switched on from the word GO?

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

From what I've observed, we seem to start games by absorbing what the opposition throws at us.
We attempt to 'strangle' them and then put them away later in the game.

It's almost akin to the Ali 'rope-a-dope' tactic of wearing the opposition down.

i think it is quite deliberate and a change in the overall structure of our gameplan from last year.

CeilidhSaint
Club Player

War of attrition is how the Saints play.

TB 1 - The Brightest Light on the Darkest Night - we miss you.
Think Globally, Act Sainterly
I have Phil Narkle's helmet
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:It is a bit of a concern, last season we were the opposite and blazed away early. Playing catch up footy is never a good thing and we can not be dependent on our 2nd half efforts come finals.
There were still a few times last year when we relied on our second half efforts though:

Rd 1 v Sydney
Rd 9 v Lions
Rd 10 v Melbourne
Rd 11 v North
Rd 15 v West Coast
Rd 18 v Sydney
Rd 20 v Essendon
Rd 21 v North
Rd 22 v Melbourne
QF v Collingwood
PF v Dogs

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs