Drop Roo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Shades
Club Player

Drop Roo

All the games his been in since he got back we have been shocking.

Dont no what has changed but we need 2 do sumthin

Ajer
Club Player

I agree, he has been struggling a little since the comeback. His kicking at goal has been deplorable.

But then again, we need to get him fit, so no point dropping him. Its a tough decision. May take him some time to get back to his best.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Play him on a wing or across half back for some of the game. Our forward line is shocking.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Play him on a wing or across half back for some of the game. Our forward line is shocking.
So lets get rid of our best forward. That isnt the answer.

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

This is the single most stupid post I have EVER read on here.... and that's saying something!!!

Drop Roo...FFS - :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
SaintDebi
Club Player

Drop Roo? No, but please remind the rest of the boys that there is no rule in AFL that says you may only have 1 designated goal kicker. Our midfielders still have the same skills that they had while Roo was out, to run in and kick goals- use them.
Time to play as if they have confidence in each and every one of their team mates, and that means when you see a good option, use it while its good. Don't second guess and look for Roo or another option then sell a tem mate into trouble when the first, better option is gone.

I know, I've never played a game of football in my life, so I'm no expert, but that's what I'm seeing.

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
Statsman
Club Player

Is it perhaps that the players have relaxed now that Riewoldt is back?

With Riewoldt out the players knew they had to collectively step up and fill the breech. There was an "us against the world" mentality as we tried to hold the fort until our captain returned. Now that he's back it looks to me like they've all breathed a sigh of relief and relaxed.

AFL football doesn't work like that and you've still got to bring your A game every week. Roo's return isn't going to make up for a dozen or more passengers!

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

You should never be allowed to post again.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:Is it perhaps that the players have relaxed now that Riewoldt is back?

With Riewoldt out the players knew they had to collectively step up and fill the breech. There was an "us against the world" mentality as we tried to hold the fort until our captain returned. Now that he's back it looks to me like they've all breathed a sigh of relief and relaxed.

AFL football doesn't work like that and you've still got to bring your A game every week. Roo's return isn't going to make up for a dozen or more passengers!
agree with this post.

saint4life
noob
Club Player

drop hayes so the rest of the team learn how to get the pill

backit
Club Player

The post whilst titled as dropping Roo actually makes sense as when he was out the players actually had to win games without him and compensated for him not being there. Now he is back in the team the expectation is we will win with him in the side but without actually doing the things that got us wins without him.

I don't agree with dropping him but the players have to remember that they cannot rely on him solely to kick winning scores, do all the hard work bringing others into the game, being the sole focal point for 70 - 80% of our forward attacks and being there will make others lift. It is a team game something that we are suddenly lacking understanding of that has structures, set plays and helping out your team.

I have concerns on our current form and attitudes we will finish just making the finals and be out immediately because nothing suggests to me we are a good team.

Duggie
Club Player

This is a crackpot suggestion!
Just cast your myopic mind back to the time when he was injured. We had to readjust almost the entire team. It affected the backline to allow some players to move into attack to say nothing of the great gap in the forward line. It slowed our winning progress but we got through it. One of the heroes in it is the one most mailgned now--Milney.
So we have Roo back and are going though another readjustment. The question is can we achieve (either by fine tuning or drastic measure) the former winning ability? Only time will tell but I rule out that any such drastic measure should be as you suggest :lol:

A Saint Forever!
saintnick12
Club Player

SaintDebi wrote:Drop Roo? No, but please remind the rest of the boys that there is no rule in AFL that says you may only have 1 designated goal kicker. Our midfielders still have the same skills that they had while Roo was out, to run in and kick goals- use them.
Time to play as if they have confidence in each and every one of their team mates, and that means when you see a good option, use it while its good. Don't second guess and look for Roo or another option then sell a tem mate into trouble when the first, better option is gone.

I know, I've never played a game of football in my life, so I'm no expert, but that's what I'm seeing.
Agree with this. They seem to have become too ROO focussed, and kicking to him, but with two and three men on him. What was with Gram banging it up in the air multiple times last night. They managed to "manufacture" other ways to goal without Roo in and haven't been able to do that since he's been back in. Agree with Statsman's suggestion that there seems to be a little element of that maybe those that had to step up have now relaxed, expecting all to be fine now the captain is back.
But the suggestion in this thread to drop him is I hope, tongue in cheek. While the stats show we have struggled since he's been back, the ONLY way we can do any damage in September is with him in. But he needs to be the icing, not the whole cake.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

They did play their best game of the year with Roo in the side!
North Melbourne would love us to drop Roo for the next game against 'em!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:Is it perhaps that the players have relaxed now that Riewoldt is back?

i think you have nailed it. how do we fix it?

saintnick12
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:

i think you have nailed it. how do we fix it?
Ross just said exactly that on 3AW...good call Statsman

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Drop Milne more likely. Was no where to be seen last night. Is a one trick pony.

Another opportunity awaits!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Roo to CHB. Then again our midfield would probably start kicking the ball backward to him.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:Drop Milne more likely. Was no where to be seen last night. Is a one trick pony.
Why on earth would you drop Milne.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
Moccha wrote:Drop Milne more likely. Was no where to be seen last night. Is a one trick pony.
Why on earth would you drop Milne.
MIA

Another opportunity awaits!