Peake

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWal
Club Player

Peake

Improving every game and more importantly stands up in big games.

MareesMaxxy

Baby steps... but, yes.
Not the quickest decision maker but thank God for his leg speed.

saintkid
Club Player

MareesMaxxy wrote:Baby steps... but, yes.
Not the quickest decision maker but thank God for his leg speed.
Peake did well but if his decsion making matched his speed the game would have been over at 3 quarter time.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Extremely good game last night. Found space everywhere, used pace, kicked long, tackled hard.

Very good game.

This opinion just backed up by the coach on 3AW 8-)

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
wasaintsfan
Club Player

i think w're developing him into the fast release player and god hes good at it

has the pace and the knowledge to do it watching people trying to break away from him was funny because he kept running em down and applying massive pressure on their disposal... massive effort

knew he was a gem from the start was shocked when he got dropped grateful he got back in and has made himself a name

Foz
Club Player

Coach seemed impressed - finals usually have a dominant fast player that contributes e.g - Pickett in 04, Gram 09.

Peake has a habit of running at 45 degrees when he gets the ball. At Etihad it gets him into trouble as it forces him wider. At MCG he has greater space out wide and does not get hemmed in. The ability to kick 55 doesnt hurt either :)

battye
Saintsational Legend

Some of the question marks over his decision making in this thread are a bit harsh IMO.

Yes, on occasions this year his decision making could have been quicker but I thought last night was not one of those times. Every time he had the ball he appeared to do the right thing with it, best on ground in my opinion and had he kicked that goal probably would have had the backing of the media too.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
gurubob101
Club Player

Great game... easily his best for the club. Could be a quality player for us in the future; especially if someone can straighten out his kicking when forced to use the opposite foot. Why is it that left footers so often can't kick on the other foot?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gurubob101 wrote:Great game... easily his best for the club. Could be a quality player for us in the future; especially if someone can straighten out his kicking when forced to use the opposite foot. Why is it that left footers so often can't kick on the other foot?
I dont know but he is a right footer.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

gurubob101 wrote:Why is it that left footers so often can't kick on the other foot?
Because it's really hard to do? I think most players are one sided, it's just that some hide it better than others. Genuinely two sided players are extremely rare. It's more common to find players who are vaguely capable with their wrong foot. I think Goddard and Ray are genuinely two sided. While Gilbert would sooner break off his right leg than use it to kick a footy, I think that Dal Santo, Gwilt, Schneider and even Jones are probably better off their wrong foot than most of our right foot kicks.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:Extremely good game last night. Found space everywhere, used pace, kicked long, tackled hard.

Very good game.

This opinion just backed up by the coach on 3AW 8-)

i agree he played quite well
i just wish he would goals instead of points

gurubob101
Club Player

"I dont know but he is a right footer."

:oops: Long silence...

The question is still valid though. You would think that by the time players got to this level they would have reached a passable standard with their 'wrong' foot. Dancers and musicians, particularly drummers, do a lot of cross dominance exercises. I'd be interested in hearing what work the sports science boffins down at at the club are doing with Peake, Gilbo and Jones who all seem very one sided.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Re: I dont know but he is a right footer.

gurubob101 wrote: I'd be interested in hearing what work the sports science boffins down at at the club are doing with Peake, Gilbo and Jones who all seem very one sided.
I think your putting the blame on the wrong people there. It's not the sports science 'boffins' fault or reason these players are so one sided, or havn't improved. For starters all those players named came to the club as mature age players (Gilbert 19), and their junoir coaches should shoulder some fair blame, a lot of coaching literature also says it takes 10,000 hours of practise to be a 'master' of a skill (includes training and games).

It's pretty hard to teach someone to kick on their opposite foot during their mid 20's, simply because at AFL it's so cut throat you can't make these mistakes, hence a player is less inclined to 'practise' or use their opposite foot in a game, and even at training, and therefore doesn't help the issue. The pressure is SO intense. When your a 12 -16 year old, you can try your opposite foot, etc.

No doubt I've blown a tongue n cheek comment out of proportion :wink: , but if it we're as easy at the sports science guys waving their magic wand and Gilbo developing a right foot, it would be done.

Carpe Diem
Winmar
Club Player

I too thought it was Peake's best game for the club. I suppose the faster you're running the harder it is to kick on your wrong foot, hence Peak struggling more than some. ;)

I don't understand how players at that level can't kick with their wrong foot to a passable standard though. It's not like they weren't given much talent to work with.

Mooksy
Club Player

Best game he has played by a mile