Are we better at the G than Etihad now?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Are we better at the G than Etihad now?

Is it just me or has there been a subtle change to our "game style" this year that allows us to play our brand of footy better on the bigger grounds such as the G?

The only times we have been done over for pace recently have been at Etihad where the ground is notoriously fast, and smaller.

I realise we only played the Blues and Bombers at Etihad, but for some reason I like the way we play the G now and are more nervous at the Dome than I have been previously?

Thoughts?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

colingwood was played at the G and we lost by 61 points

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:colingwood was played at the G and we lost by 61 points
48. And we kicked 6.16.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Would be a massively different story now in a finals game. Remember that was just after Roo and Gram came back in. A lot of water under the bridge since then.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Not looking for excuses but weren't 5+ key players for us suffering with the flu also?

I'm surprised we keep getting told we're no good at the G. I'm pretty sure our recent track record there over the past few years would dispel that myth?

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

A bit like the Carlton game. We just had a s*** night for the most part. Flu prob didn't assist. Nor did 6 frigging 16. St Kilda with the sniff of redemption in its nose against anyone on GF day is a scary thought I reckon. Gotta get there first tho !!!

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Still managed to keep collingwood to 43 inside 50's and 25 scoring shots, as opposed to thier 68 inside 50's and 40 scoring shots on the weekend.

Guys had the flu, we were choosing to play an underdone Roo and Gram, it was at the height of our kicking it to Roo issue on his return.

They were also incredibly accurate that day. :shock:

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Forget that game, we didn't turn up.

I just think we spread and run better there, and can defend better there, that's all.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:

I just think we spread and run better there, and can defend better there, that's all.
I know there are guys who I believe prefer the bigger grounds...Peake, Kosi, Milne, Raph.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
maverick wrote:

I know there are guys who I believe prefer the bigger grounds...Peake, Kosi, Milne, Raph.
Roo??

StNoodles
Club Player

maverick wrote:
SainterK wrote:
maverick wrote:

Roo??
Loved the way Roo blew up Harry. They've had their battles, but I think Roo has figured him out.

eppo67
Club Player

We do play the G very well and will be hard to beat in this years finals. If it is dry and we are in the GF (which we will be) we will smash the Pies (b/c they will beat sookeeolng in 2 weeks.)

The reason is Roo and Kosi get so much more space to lead into and Milne and Scniderman get more room to roam also. Very difficult for teams to flood back and double team Roo and then Kosi and the 2 blowflies are in space. Suits are structure very well.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Are we better at the G than Etihad now?

maverick wrote:Is it just me or has there been a subtle change to our "game style" this year that allows us to play our brand of footy better on the bigger grounds such as the G?

Thoughts?
1/ Keeping Roo as a 1 on 1 contest.

This way Roo = 2 players. The midfield line-up + CHF

This is a competitive advantage that no other club has and effectively gives us 23 players.

2/ Peake

His pace and run on the wide MCG is a big plus.

Certainly against the Cats he helped to tip the game our way.

This give us better balance than last year and much better suited to the G.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
SainterK wrote:
maverick wrote:

Roo??
Roo vs Presti...

Gawd I love the sound of that!!!

They walk amongst us...

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:Still managed to keep collingwood to 43 inside 50's and 25 scoring shots, as opposed to thier 68 inside 50's and 40 scoring shots on the weekend.

Guys had the flu, we were choosing to play an underdone Roo and Gram, it was at the height of our kicking it to Roo issue on his return.

Also had the coach dealing with a very private matter on game day.

I also don't believe Ross has shown all his cards yet......I'm a great believer in "flicking the switch".

Moods
Saintsational Legend

snoopygirl wrote:
SainterK wrote:Still managed to keep collingwood to 43 inside 50's and 25 scoring shots, as opposed to thier 68 inside 50's and 40 scoring shots on the weekend.

I also don't believe Ross has shown all his cards yet......I'm a great believer in "flicking the switch".
You know I used to think this theory of 'not showing all your cards' was a giant wank - until Friday night. I couldn't believe the level of intensity and tactical nouse that RL displayed - I shouldn't be surprised, but I was. I genuinely believe that we took the cats by surprise, and I also now believe that we have ruined their final series as a result. Have to admit before the game I wasn't that optimistic but said to a group of mates I was having a beer with that I reckon we have the best coach in the comp, and if anyone has something up their sleeve it will be him.

Pies fresh and hungry will beat the cats I reckon, setting up an epic encounter.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

snoopygirl wrote:

agree with both these posts...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
snoopygirl wrote:

agree with both these posts...

Did we ever learn of what the personal matter was?

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Will send you a pm Cairnsman. I don't really want to say anything on here.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:

Exactly, only one team turned up that day and it certainly wasn't the 2010 premiership St Kilda team.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

dcstkfc wrote:
48. And we kicked 6.16.
& Geary had a shot from 15 metres out that would have put us 24 points down with 7 minutes to play. He missed. They took the resultant kick out the length of the ground & kicked a goal. 36 points instead of 24 with a bit of momentum.

From memory BJ, Dal and Joey all had kicking efficiencies of around 40%.

Roo was in his 2nd game back & we were playing ordinary footy as a team.

IF we get another crack at them the result will be very very different.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Yeh the context of the game is important looking back. Was that just after the Lions game? we were flat, in a post Roo return lul, while the pies were flying.

It took us some time to get 'used' to Roo comming back ironically enough.

Carpe Diem