Dogs or Swans?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Dogs or Swans?

Most of the discussion here re forthcoming games has concerned the GF

Not much discussion on the forthcoming semi: who we think will win, and who we would prefer to win. We know we are playing one of them so it's safe to discuss this without getting ahead of ourselves.

I think the Swans will win, but I'm not sure who I'd rather play. Dogs were tough last year, but I still have bad memories of 2005.

Thoughts?

dals_da_bomb
Club Player

I would prefer Swans.

although im not sure why.. have they been flying under the rador? I havent watched any of thier games this year and know basically nothing of the season the have had.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Swans should win. Dogs were a rabble on saturday night. But history will tell us that winning finals interstate is very difficult.

Would much rather play the Dogs. We should have too much class for either of them, but the Swans, in my opinion, would be better placed to cause an upset. They are well coached and tactically very good, and have done unbelievably well thus far to get where they are, considering all the signs saying this year would be tough one for them.

The Dogs are in real trouble, even talk this morning of a debutant this weekend, which is obviously not ideal in a sudden death final. The have no Plan B, and would be missing their 2 most important players when playing the Saints, Cooney and Morris.

So I will tip the Swans, but will be barracking for the Dogs.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Put simply, if we are not good enough to beat either of those teams we would not be a worthy grand finalist let alone premier (yes I know that sounds silly).

The Dogs are badly out of form, full of injuries and have guys playing sore. They are short in defence - particularly if Lake's not right - and they aren't finding Barry because their contested ball has plummeted from first to last in the league. We beat them when we were iffy and they were 'on' earlier in the year (and as an aside wasn't that game a pre-cursor to the mental frailty they are now apparently now exhibiting??) so there is no viable reason other than our own momentary 'on the night' ineptitude as to why we wouldn't dispose of them like a snotty tissue.

The Swans are a different beast. They are tough and hard and have shown marked improvement in the latter stages of the year. I think they are a little light on for midfielders that are capable of matching ours, I think our ruck division is of equal quality, but I do think they throw a few curly match ups our way in their fwd line. O'Keefe and Dennis-Lane are 'different' forwards that we may find a bit awkward? Jetta's pace is a small but significant worry I suppose. But despite that, assuming we win enough centre ball, are Grundy and Keneally et al really gonna quell the twin towers? And even if they break even and the ball goes to ground, who takes Milne, Schneider etc. Kieran Jack probably blankets Dal. I suppose Jones goes to McVeigh or Hannebury. Or does tagger go to tagger??? Jack can be damaging...Would be an interesting strategic quirk...But weighing all that up, we are an equally 'team first' side but with more skilful practitioners on the park. If we are on, I can't see the Swans - even with all that Captain Zen Buddha Levitating Monk Kirk leaving and do it for Roos blah blah - getting within 5 or 6 goals.

The washup? I'll take either. But if there is such a thing, though, the Dogs would probably be the less physical final...

One way or another I'm already feeling sick at the prospect of sitting through a prelim again...The last one had me retching with nerves and I literally had an emotional meltdown afterwards...

JUST WIN THE f****** THING.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Put simply, if we are not good enough to beat either of those teams we would not be a worthy grand finalist let alone premier (yes I know that sounds silly).

The Dogs are badly out of form, full of injuries and have guys playing sore. They are short in defence - particularly if Lake's not right - and they aren't finding Barry because their contested ball has plummeted from first to last in the league. We beat them when we were iffy and they were 'on' earlier in the year (and as an aside wasn't that game a pre-cursor to the mental frailty they are now apparently now exhibiting??) so there is no viable reason other than our own momentary 'on the night' ineptitude as to why we wouldn't dispose of them like a snotty tissue.

The Swans are a different beast. They are tough and hard and have shown marked improvement in the latter stages of the year. I think they are a little light on for midfielders that are capable of matching ours, I think our ruck division is of equal quality, but I do think they throw a few curly match ups our way in their fwd line. O'Keefe and Dennis-Lane are 'different' forwards that we may find a bit awkward? Jetta's pace is a small but significant worry I suppose. But despite that, assuming we win enough centre ball, are Grundy and Keneally et al really gonna quell the twin towers? And even if they break even and the ball goes to ground, who takes Milne, Schneider etc. Kieran Jack probably blankets Dal. I suppose Jones goes to McVeigh or Hannebury. Or does tagger go to tagger??? Jack can be damaging...Would be an interesting strategic quirk...But weighing all that up, we are an equally 'team first' side but with more skilful practitioners on the park. If we are on, I can't see the Swans - even with all that Captain Zen Buddha Levitating Monk Kirk leaving and do it for Roos blah blah - getting within 5 or 6 goals.

The washup? I'll take either. But if there is such a thing, though, the Dogs would probably be the less physical final...

One way or another I'm already feeling sick at the prospect of sitting through a prelim again...The last one had me retching with nerves and I literally had an emotional meltdown afterwards...

Very well put Thinline.

Reality is that the Bullies are also way down on confidence however they'll get some of that back if they manage to get up over the Swans.

Yes memories of 2005 do send shivers through us however this time around WE have Schneider :D

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Since we have absolutely no control over who we'll be playing, I'll take what comes.

We've got to be able to beat either and there's no doubt that if we play well we can.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Thinline wrote:Put simply, if we are not good enough to beat either of those teams we would not be a worthy grand finalist let alone premier (yes I know that sounds silly).

Great post.

Yes, sitting through a Prelim is horrendous. Losing one can feel worse than losing the GF.

All in all, my gut feeling seems similar to yours. Prefer the Dogs, but Swans are likely to get up.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

We have beaten both this year, couldn't say that about Carlton.

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:We have beaten both this year, couldn't say that about Carlton.
That's right. I was actually worried about the possibility of having to play Carlton.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Thinline wrote:
Put simply, if we are not good enough to beat either of those teams we would not be a worthy grand finalist let alone premier

Agree 100%

GoTheTorp
Club Player

I will take whoever will give us the easiest game physically.

Beekay
SS Life Member

Superboot wrote:
That's right. I was actually worried about the possibility of having to play Carlton.
Me too.

In patches they look unstoppable, the rest of the time they are useless and embarrassing. The Fevola legacy lives on.

saint3d
Club Player

Thinline wrote:One way or another I'm already feeling sick at the prospect of sitting through a prelim again...The last one had me retching with nerves and I literally had an emotional meltdown afterwards...
I agree with everything you said. Especially everything else, but especially this. That tight feeling in my stomach has started already. I'll be a nervous wreck by this weekend, let alone next.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Prelims are hell.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:
i was also more worried about playing carlton as we had not beaton them this year.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
Superboot wrote:
i was also more worried about playing carlton as we had not beaton them this year.
We've only played them once

Another opportunity awaits!
doggerel
Club Player

Will be interesting to see how the Swans go back at the MCG. Last time they played there, 7 weeks ago against Melbourne, they were beaten by around 100 points IIRC.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

My take on this finals campaign is simple:

"fear no one; respect everyone"
I believe we should ALL take that philosophy into our games and see how we go.

Bigcarl pretty much summed it up: We play whoever we play, as we don't have a choice of opponent it's a bit futile to speculate on who we would LIKE to play. (though I'm not knocking it as a bit of interest/fun while waiting for the PF)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Swans...only because if the Dogs win they will have their confidence back & have done something to address the most insipid final's display I've seen for a long time.

The Swans are good, some good hard fast kids and some seasoned final's campaigners but IMO we're better and we get some crucial match ups right, break even in the first quarter we should win comfortably.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Swans are missing Bolton, Dogs are missing Morris.

Neither has a suitable match-up for Roo. We win based on that, so I don't mind who we play.

widereceiver
Club Player

A comfortable win with no injury against either would do me.

I agree - Fear no-one, respect everyone. *

* Bomber, take note, ye sh1tehawk.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I'll take the Swans over the Dogs.

Dogs have a bone to pick with us over last year's Prelim.

We have a bone to pick with the Swans for '05. A bit of revenge would be sweet. I think I said it in another thread, Schnieder with a 5-6 goal haul would be fantastic.

Either way, I hope the Dogs and Swans slug it out over a batteringly bruising and bonecrunching affair.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:I'll take the Swans over the Dogs.

Dogs have a bone to pick with us over last year's Prelim.

We have a bone to pick with the Swans for '05. A bit of revenge would be sweet. I think I said it in another thread, Schnieder with a 5-6 goal haul would be fantastic.

Either way, I hope the Dogs and Swans slug it out over a batteringly bruising and bonecrunching affair.
A batteringly bruising and bonecrunching affair, with the Swans getting up by 1 point in extra time & Goodes pulling up sore and unable to get up for the Prelim (well he's not going to get rubbed out is he!)

battye
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:My take on this finals campaign is simple:

"fear no one; respect everyone"
I believe we should ALL take that philosophy into our games and see how we go.
Well said. :)

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

GoTheTorp wrote:I will take whoever will give us the easiest game physically.
FootsAcra met!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.