Would you draft Andrew Krakouer?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Would you draft Andrew Krakouer?

2010 Sandover medallist, prolific ball-winner, 100+ games of AFL experience, but 16 months in the clink for assault?

Scenario: you have the last pick in the draft and he is still available. He will play on base wages for a two year contract. Do you risk him or punt on an untried kid?

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Would you draft Andrew Krakouer?

GrumpyOne wrote:2010 Sandover medallist, prolific ball-winner, 100+ games of AFL experience, but 16 months in the clink for assault?

Scenario: you have the last pick in the draft and he is still available. He will play on base wages for a two year contract. Do you risk him or punt on an untried kid?
Interesting question. Depends a lot on whether or not he has learnt his lesson and what sort of shape he is in. Can't remember him really setting the world on fire when he was playing last, but stand to be corrected on that.
Last edited by saint75 on Tue 14 Sep 2010 2:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Once bitten, twice shy....

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Maybe GC will give him a run alongside Nathan?

Word is he's really turned his life around on and off field. Lots of community work etc and - interestingly - threw himself into inspiring/leading the prison's own footy team when 'inside'

If he's made some changes, I really hope someone gives him a run. It would be a terrific story.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Would you keep him over where his life has taken a turn for the better, where he is surrounded by the right people?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

No

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Would you keep him over where his life has taken a turn for the better, where he is surrounded by the right people?
More likely. Maybe WC might take a punt with a Rookie pick or something. Can't see Freo doing it.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

St Chris wrote:Once bitten, twice shy....
You mean fall off the horse and don't get back on again?
I'd definitely look into him, if he has really turned his life around. There seemed to be no evidence of that with Lovett, but if there is with him, I'd absolutely be interested. He has the exact sort of on-field attributes we still need and have for about 3 years, although Peake is going pretty well.
"Fortune" favours "the brave". You need to still keep on taking chances in life. You don't just stop and go into your shell, because some of them don't work out. Unless you're lacking courage, that is.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Tue 14 Sep 2010 2:40pm, edited 2 times in total.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

In a word

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Well our 'due diligence' has had 'mixed results' so far.
Gardi - v good
Cousins - who knows
Lovett - complete disaster

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:Well our 'due diligence' has had 'mixed results' so far.
Gardi - v good
Cousins - who knows
Well, hopefully we've learned some lessons and will continue to be brave, having implemented what we've learned.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Gardi - v good
Cousins - who knows
Well, hopefully we've learned some lessons and will continue to be brave, having implemented what we've learned.
after the lovett disaster i would suspect we would be more conservative and less brave.

BradWA
Club Player

Re Kraks

Sorry as i stuffed up posting and the Nazi HSV King locked it in 2 seconds flat.

The Moderator Nazi,s strike again, Oh forgot, shyt im not in the purple circle.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

saintly wrote:
Gardi - v good
Cousins - who knows
after the lovett disaster i would suspect we would be more conservative and less brave.
I'd take brave over conservative every day, just be wise about it. While there may be some similarities in the circumstances, this is a completely different and brand new situation and ought to be treated on its merits. Just get it right. That's all that matters.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Tue 14 Sep 2010 2:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

For those that are wondering, this is what BradWA wrote in the thread that was locked: "I am a member of Swans and have seen him play 17 time this year, he has been outstanding off the field .

But on the field he has been F*ckIng amazing in both skill and fitness.
You all need to remember the assault he was convicted of was a family fued situation that go,s on constantly in WA with indigenous people.

He has been the best player in the WAFL by a country mile and would be a asset to the SKFC as he can play forward or on ball and his contested inside work was something to see this year.

If we have a chance draft him as Milne is getting on and he would be the perfect replacement."

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
Gardi - v good
Cousins - who knows
I'd take brave over conservative every day, just be wise about it. While there may be some similarities in the circumstances, this is a completely different and brand new situation and ought to be treated on its merits. Just get it right. That's all that matters.
The OP referred to picking him up with our last pick.

If that's the case then we don't really have to be all that brave.

While we don't want a re-run of last year, it seems to me that most people consider the main debacle over Lovett was the use of pick 16, rather than the disruption he caused to the team (and before any of you have a go, I'm talking purely in footy terms here - I have not forgotten the "victim").

So if we can pick this bloke up for next to nothing, and flick him if he puts a foot out of place, then you'd have to consider it.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Interesting prospect. Have to consider how far he has turned his life around.

I'd look at him - as I would anyone - and do our due diligence.

If it wouldn't work out, I wouldn't take him.

At the moment, I'd be reluctant but open to persuasion.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

stewmac
Club Player

yes from me seen him for swan districts always in the best 2 or 3 for them, off the ground is working with kids etc ,was a doco on him on abc i think last weekend at half time of east perth qualifier,Saints been cryin out for a fast indigenous player ,ticks all the boxes really ,been a bad lad in the past but he seems to be a different guy now,cant be any worse than the last draft ,lovett & smith gone for different reasons .

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

my reservation is that I don't realy remember him being any good.

In a weak draft, I'd consider giving him a rookie spot or last pick though

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, different situation than Lovett. WA has a set of laws for indigenous people only, it was a situation that had begun with his sister and simmered for years. If he was in that situation in Victoria he probably wouldn't have done as much or any time. He is apparently by what I have heard from someone that knew him at the Tigers, a good mild mannered guy. if anything he didn't grab his opportunity first time. He had games that looked break out and didn't go on with it. I would give him a go if you checked him out for commitment. He is not your stupid party boy type just a bad decision by someone who handled a situation in the wrong way.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Getting him out of Perth sounds like it would be beneficial to him.

Would not be against it. He showed flashes of brilliance at the Tigers but was probably up against it in a very ordinary team.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

id say yes for sure. Judge each case on its merits. People comparing him to Lovett are making possible racist calls.

Lets look at him for sure. NO DOUBT after what BradWA says that someone will pick him up. He will be 28 next year. So a 2 year contract will be hos goal. But coing out and winning the Sandover is a good effort. if he can get 6 months professional training into him Octb-March he will have an impact at AFL level for sure.

I dont see him as a replacement for Milney (hes a short term fix) but id love some more outside pace in our team to receive, score and pressure opposition backs into more errors.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:
saintly wrote:
Gardi - v good
Cousins - who knows
The OP referred to picking him up with our last pick.

If that's the case then we don't really have to be all that brave.

While we don't want a re-run of last year, it seems to me that most people consider the main debacle over Lovett was the use of pick 16, rather than the disruption he caused to the team (and before any of you have a go, I'm talking purely in footy terms here - I have not forgotten the "victim").

So if we can pick this bloke up for next to nothing, and flick him if he puts a foot out of place, then you'd have to consider it.
True so true. Well worth some serious consideration.
If his apparently brilliant performances over there are any indication, his stint in the lock up may have been the thing that really turned his life around and got him to be the best he can be, including on the field. I wouldn't draft him on what he did for Richmond, but what he could do this time around, after his big kick in the ass.
Lets not forget, while we pulled the trigger on Lovett, we let Cousins slip through and doing so may well have cost us a flag already. We don't want to make that "mistake" again, any more than we want to make the Lovett one again.

St Michele
Club Player

Re: Would you draft Andrew Krakouer?

saint75 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:2010 Sandover medallist, prolific ball-winner, 100+ games of AFL experience, but 16 months in the clink for assault?

Interesting question. Depends a lot on whether or not he has learnt his lesson and what sort of shape he is in. Can't remember him really setting the world on fire when he was playing last, but stand to be corrected on that.
He seems to be in very good shape and if available I think would fit in to our team quite well but for him as a person I think he would be better staying in WA with one of the teams here, he would then have his family support around him.

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

short answer....no....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.