You Guys Do Realise We Played a Man Down for 70%

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

eppo67
Club Player

You Guys Do Realise We Played a Man Down for 70%

Can you guys imagine Big Ben resting down forward next week when Kosi has a run in the Ruck
Milne wont be forced to try and outmark Shaw and O'Brien for a half again and we will have another big target instead of just 1 in Roo.
I love Gardi but I think his inj. could be a real blessing in disguise for us. Big Mac is very mobile and down Fwd. anything could happen and least he will provide another solid contest.
Pies were able to pick of our inside 50's in the air because we only had the one genuine tall target in there for the last 70% of the game.

SaintWal
Club Player

Yeah had thought the same.

I think the forced move of Kosi in the ruck actually got us back in the game. I thought Kosi towelled Jolly in the second half

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Shussssh!

Don't tell the media or Collingwood.

Don't let them in on the secret that anybody watching could/would have realised.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Shussssh!

Don't let them in on the secret that anybody watching could/would have realised.
I have already read and heard on radio about it but I will not tell you.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

If Gardi doesn't play, Ben will be in for sure.

Would it be worth while starting Kosi on the ball for the first 5 or 10?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

That's ok plugger.
Given that Collingwood adn the media don't listen to anything or read any articles other than those complimentary to themselves, it'll remain a secret.

Given that we drew with 'the great Magpies' yesterday, should we expect to see a '16 page liftout' on 'Magnificent St Kilda' in our media sponsor The Age this week?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

That's ok plugger.
Given that Collingwood adn the media don't listen to anything or read any articles other than those complimentary to themselves, it'll remain a secret.

Given that we drew with 'the great Magpies' yesterday, should we expect to see a '16 page liftout' on 'Magnificent St Kilda' in our media sponsor The Age this week?
Thought the neck may be sore after yesterday.

saintnick12
Club Player

Kosi was awesome.

After going in with an injury cloud, he had a super second half and his mark goal in the second qtr was great too.

Thought he was going to take that mark in the last minute. He was so nearly the hero. Would have been so great.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

That's ok plugger.

Neck's just fine - thanks for asking.

Should I hold my breath waiting for the comparable treatment from our 'sponsor'?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

That's ok plugger.

Neck's just fine - thanks for asking.

Should I hold my breath waiting for the comparable treatment from our 'sponsor'?
Dont care. Never read the age but maybe the pies are a bigger club. It happens. We are much bigger than the dogs. I really wouldnt stress about it.

saintDal
Club Player

Not looking good for Gardiner unfortunately.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 5929408319
AS TEARS streamed down Danielle Gardiner's face, it was evident her husband's dream of playing in a winning Grand Final was over.

Michael Gardiner is believed to have torn his hamstring in the second quarter of yesterday's historic Grand Final draw.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Nah, Gardy looks like he's well and truly gone!

Surely anyone competing in either of these Grand Finals gets recognized as a Premiership player??? Surely?

I'm curious, as we also had 5 on our bench in the first qtr... How long were we playing with 17 on the ground??? Anyone care to elaborate further?

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

its a diff game
so no, anyone dropped, injured and not playing, or given games will not get a medal

unless they decided to change the rule on the day :roll:

spert
Saintsational Legend

If a player spends much of the game on the bench injured, its a good bet he wont come up next week, so big Ben would get the nod.

noob
Club Player

Think McEvoy would be better anyway. Spend just a little time in the forward line helps. I feel we lack that medium tall.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but it's a shame Gardy's emotional wife got through to the media.....a bit of secret squirrel would've been better.

Again, no slight on Gardy's wife or her natural reaction.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:its a diff game
so no, anyone dropped, injured and not playing, or given games will not get a medal

unless they decided to change the rule on the day :roll:
I hear and respect what you're saying, but I reckon that is just sh1thouse!!! We wouldn't be into a rematch if not through the efforts of the 1st 22! Imagine (the thought makes me physically Ill) if Rooey went down with an injury last Saturday? Does that mean he isn't/wasn't part of it?

Not a dig at you btw, I just think it's cheap.

Cheers ;)

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

I feel for Gardy to be missing next week but it could be a bleesing in disguise.

We get a fresh Ruckman/ forward playing against a ruckman who will be sore form the previous week.

They wont be replacing fresh ruckman where we are going to. McAvoy has been great this year and will play just as good a role as gardy would play.

FQF
SS Life Member

Anyone think that Kosi will get a lot more ruck-time given how successful he was against one of the premier ruckman?

Kosi - number one ruckman resting forward.

McEvoy - full forward resting ruckman.

Blake - take care of Leigh Brown for some time in the ruck as well.

This will allow Gilbert to go back to the backline and chop off some of the supply to Cloke and Dawes.

And if Gilbert goes forward, he won't be the second target behind Roo but the third tall forcing Maxwell to be accountable.

This game could possibly have added a brand new element of versatility to our game plan...

And if Gardy retires, could be the plan for next year.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

The bit I like about McEvoy is he, like Gardy, can take great grabs and kick goals! It's a plus plus!

I'd like to see Gardy go on next year to be honest. He's been superb for us!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I think Kosi was brave in the ruck, but we were wasting a midfielder third man up much of the time.

The extra ground level support for Hayes next week will be critical.

I reckon Armo's a real strong chance to be honest. Risky, but on song he'd be ideal.

McEvoy's ground level work (and that includes tackling) is, frankly, extraordinary for a big bloke. He's a massive in for us especially against a bloke who is coming off a game where he rucked all day - Jolly was spent in the last quarter.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Pwoit wrote:I feel for Gardy to be missing next week but it could be a bleesing in disguise.

We get a fresh Ruckman/ forward playing against a ruckman who will be sore form the previous week.

They wont be replacing fresh ruckman where we are going to. McAvoy has been great this year and will play just as good a role as gardy would play.
If you watch after the siren, Jolly is one of the players who collapses to the ground...he has played solo pretty much all year.

FullMonty
Club Player

Agree.

A fresh Big Mac is certainly up to a worn out Jolly.
Fair point about being one down for 70% of game too...

Bring on next week. :twisted:

Montyrules!
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but it's a shame Gardy's emotional wife got through to the media.....a bit of secret squirrel would've been better.

Again, no slight on Gardy's wife or her natural reaction.
Maybe she was playing secret squirrel. :shock: :wink:

FQF
SS Life Member

Agree that our taller midfielders in Hayes and Goddard were often going up as third man up, but you'll notice that this happens often and was not just because Kosi was rucking.

And then again, maybe this third man up bizo gets them more involved in the game. You'd assume that if Goddard and Lenny were going up, Joey Dal and co would be reaping the rewards. But no, it was exactly Goddard and Lenny who had stellar games.

So who knows... don't think we were disadvantaged in the Kosi Jolly duo in terms of ruckwork. We were though by being one man down and one full forward down.

I am very excited to see what big Mcevoy will do next week.

It's crazy how things work out. But Big Mac had the week off, Jolly slogged it out all day... after thinking he'd missed out on the Grand Final, Macca can now play a crucial role.

And when Kosi is rucking (which I reckon he well do for a large chunk of the game), Mcevoy will be clunking the big ones in the goal square.

The bottom line is:

Mcevoy + Kosi + Blake > Jolly + Brown

Especially since Mac is as fresh as can be and Jolly will be sore.