Could Milne have goaled?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

marksnsparks
Club Player

Could Milne have goaled?

Was hard to tell watching it on the TV, but could Milne have grabbed the ball for that last point and kicked a goal?

From the view from behind it was difficult to tell if he was close to the ball.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Could Milne have goaled?

the bounce didn't favour him.

one of a hundred or so incidents that could have tipped the game one way or another.

but we all know what happened. it was a draw and we have to win it next week.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 26 Sep 2010 3:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

He stopped to see which way the ball was going to bounce. Looking at it now it's easy to say that if he continued to run at it he would have collected and put his name in the record books, but at the time I think he made the right choice, if he attacked it and it bounced the wrong way, he would have run past it and Collingwood would have run it out and we lose.

He made sure we would atleast get a point by the way he positioned himself I think.

That last play just expresses how great our game is, that's just Aussie Rules footy, unique ball, unique bounce.

saintDal
Club Player

If he had of known which way the ball was going to bounce he probably would've kept running towards goal gathered it and kicked the goal.

Problem is what if he did this and the ball bounced away from him and the Collingwood defense cleared the ball. We probably would've lost by a point instead. In my view he played the percentages and did the right thing.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Personally, I reckon that he was trying so hard to be composed and sensible, given he was slammed for being to flashy last year.

If he had made an attempt to kick it off the ground and it hadn't paid off, and Collingwood had then gone on to win, imagine what everyone would be saying?

I'll put my hand up and say I was hard on him after the GF last year, however after this year I realise how wrong my attitude was.

Now I want Milney to know that I want him to play however his instincts tell him to, don't hold back next week, just go for it...I don't care how crazy it is.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:He stopped to see which way the ball was going to bounce. Looking at it now it's easy to say that if he continued to run at it he would have collected and put his name in the record books, but at the time I think he made the right choice, if he attacked it and it bounced the wrong way, he would have run past it and Collingwood would have run it out and we lose.

He made sure we would atleast get a point by the way he positioned himself I think.

That last play just expresses how great our game is, that's just Aussie Rules footy, unique ball, unique bounce.
Just watched it several times and I agree - he did the team thing that got us another crack at it.

I imagined the scenario of him running at it, it bounces the wrong way or he kicks it out of mid-air off the side of his boot and it goes out on the full - too many variables.

The ball is a beautifully shaped piece of leather sometimes (Roo's tap back to Dal) but at other times it's a prick. And that makes it our great game.

Milney did the right thing IMO, he covered it and in a split second summed it up perfectly.

Duggie
Club Player

A cruel bounce. He would have creamed a goal hd it not gone almost at right angle. The same happened in favour of the Pies against Cats - this time for a goal. :lol:

A Saint Forever!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Be interesting to hear from anyone at that end.

However I think tye camera angle may have foreshotyened things making the ball seem closer than it was.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Skildir
Club Player

I've got to say, we got more than our fair share of cruel bounces yesterday!

GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

It looked an awful lot closer on TV than it was at the game. On TV it looked like he could reach it, but at the game it was a fair way away.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

it looked a fair distance away at the ground.

Even if he kicked a goal, we'd have been only 5 points up, ball back in the middle with 1.50 to play....a quick Pies movement forward for a goal and all over Red Rover, so it may not be all that bad what happend.....

Beej
Saintsational Legend

The footy took two freak bounces.

The ball looked like heading for the boundary line before bouncing sharply towards goal and into Milney's path and then taking another sharp bounce away from Milney.

Allow me to illustrate

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Beej wrote:The footy took two freak bounces.

The ball looked like heading for the boundary line before bouncing sharply towards goal and into Milney's path and then taking another sharp bounce away from Milney.

Allow me to illustrate

We need to send this to the club! They could use this kind of technology for sure.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Love the pic.

Ive watched it half a dozen times - he did the right thing. If he attacked it and it bounced the wrong we - no score.

I trust Milne as a reader of the ball drop.

saintnick12
Club Player

I was behind it so had a on the flank at the other end (M53), so had a similar to view to how it looked on tv. I remember thinking he was going to gobble it up and kick the goal, then the ball bounced the other way and it least it looks like a draw.
Watching the replay it looked a lot closer and we're asking ourselves why he didn't attack it more, but I agree with the above re playing the percentages. It had already taken a strange bounce. What I don't understand is why there's only that one behind replay. Surely there's more angles than that for the GF. I would like to have seen it from a couple of different angles.
I also didn't realize until I watched the reply how we were so close to scoring another point in that last 90 seconds. Collingwood did well to stop us. kosi I think, nearly marked. So close, yet so far.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
saintnick12
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:it looked a fair distance away at the ground.

Even if he kicked a goal, we'd have been only 5 points up, ball back in the middle with 1.50 to play....a quick Pies movement forward for a goal and all over Red Rover, so it may not be all that bad what happend.....
My husband and I were also discussing this last night. Had he kicked it and they got the clearance , we may have actually lost if they kicked another goal. At least the behind levelled the scores and we were able to keep it down our end and gave ourselves the best chance of forcing another score.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:I also didn't realize until I watched the reply how we were so close to scoring another point in that last 90 seconds. Collingwood did well to stop us. kosi I think, nearly marked. So close, yet so far.
We could have with a bit of luck, eh? There was a mad scramble about 25 out directly in front of goal where the ball was pin-balling around.

Blake had a chance to pick it up and blaze away but it richocheted quickly off his feet.

Game of inches.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Game of inches alright. Eddy posts the one Didak extracts from his arse. Other way around and we win.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Game of inches alright. Eddy posts the one Didak extracts from his arse. Other way around and we win.
Daisy tumble mongrel punts a barrel from 52.

Gotta love the shape of our ball and all the variables attached to it. It's just part of the game we love.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

The other frustrating thing was did anyone notice how close Kosi was to marking that ball in the last minute.
He had his hands on it for almost long enough for a mark.
If he had, would have scored something from less than 30 metres out with about 40 seconds left on the clock.
DAMN!!!!

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:I also didn't realize until I watched the reply how we were so close to scoring another point in that last 90 seconds. Collingwood did well to stop us. kosi I think, nearly marked. So close, yet so far.
We could have with a bit of luck, eh? There was a mad scramble about 25 out directly in front of goal where the ball was pin-balling around.

Blake had a chance to pick it up and blaze away but it richocheted quickly off his feet.

Game of inches.
I noticed that and if number 27 had of kicked a winning point that would have been truly amazing and friggin bizarre. It could have happened.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Bounce was a shocker, even if he'd attacked he may have fumbled possession and given the pies a clear run down the ground.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
saintDal
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
Beej wrote:

Game of inches.
I noticed that and if number 27 had of kicked a winning point that would have been truly amazing and friggin bizarre. It could have happened.
Would have been a great way to win. Collingwood would be having nightmares about the number 27 if he managed to score then.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:I noticed that and if number 27 had of kicked a winning point that would have been truly amazing and friggin bizarre. It could have happened.
for a while there i was convinced it was going to be 1966 in reverse ... collingwood by a point.

that would have been horrible, losing the one thing we've had over them all these years,

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Wed 20 Oct 2010 3:03am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.