Old and sore, oh really Sharrod?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Old and sore, oh really Sharrod?

:P

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 15xeb.html

Midfielder Sharrod Wellingham said the Saints' edge in experience could be to their detriment in terms of physical recovery from the drawn match.

''If you look at their team they're probably peaking right about now,'' Wellingham said.

''They are at the closer end to [the end of] their careers, right at the peak, but in our team we've got a lot of young guys who are hopefully going to be able to recover a lot quicker from that game.

''Hopefully the young bodies will be able to recover a lot quicker than the St Kilda bodies. As the years go by [for players], bruising and battering catches up on you towards the end.''

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Sharrod should have no problems recovering from Saturday. Barely got a touch.

He'll never recover from being called Sharrod.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Maybe instead of coming up with complete bulls***, he can find the time to get a real first name.

saint3d
Club Player

Poor ol' Lenny.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

saint3d wrote:Poor ol' Lenny.
8-) :roll:

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Would you rather name your son

Farren
Sharrod
or Jude

You can only pick one.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Beej wrote:Would you rather name your son

Farren
Sharrod
or Jude

You can only pick one.
At least Farren sounds like a boy's name, so I'd go with that

Beej
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:

Farren
Sharrod
or Jude

You can only pick one.
At least Farren sounds like a boy's name, so I'd go with that
I don't mind Jude, but you gotta hope he's a real "Jack the lad" type and not timid, or else he's going to have a tough childhood.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Little toe-rag. Love how the Pies put their kids in the press to make big statements. Bet someone buries him on Saturday and gives him a few home truths in his ear'ole. Set himself up for a fall.

SteveStevens66
Club Player

The words of a scared little boy. I hope one of our decrepit oldies runs through him and splatters him all over the MCG. What cheek!

Carna Saints!!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Old and sore, eh?

Someone better tell Lenny.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

I love it.... Keep talking down the Saints....According to the print/electronic media The Saints had the tougher Prelim Final and were going to find it tough going in the GF...

Forget the fact that The Saints completely over-ran The 'Pies...they're simply too old to recover and get up for the GF replay :roll: :roll:

We've got this one!! :D The Skunks are scared!! Saints Footy exposed them and they're clutching at straws.. :twisted:

St Michele
Club Player

Re: Old and sore, oh really Sharrod?

SainterK wrote::P

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 15xeb.html

Midfielder Sharrod Wellingham said the Saints' edge in experience could be to their detriment in terms of physical recovery from the drawn match.

''If you look at their team they're probably peaking right about now,'' Wellingham said.

''They are at the closer end to [the end of] their careers, right at the peak, but in our team we've got a lot of young guys who are hopefully going to be able to recover a lot quicker from that game.

''Hopefully the young bodies will be able to recover a lot quicker than the St Kilda bodies. As the years go by [for players], bruising and battering catches up on you towards the end.''
Talk yourselves up we know otherwise :-)

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

This excerpt from the article kind of sums up the general feeling of mine and many Saints supporters have had about the media's take on the GF (both the first and second)

JAMES HIRD, Mark Thompson and Gary Ablett have unwittingly conspired to keep the media focus off Collingwood in grand final week, although none of the Magpies players are complaining.
So the only thing keeping the media focus off Collingwood is Hird, Thompson adn Ablett? :roll:

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Farren
Sharrod
or Jude

You can only pick one.
What's wrong with the name Jude?!

I'm a massive Beatle fan. My daughter is named Abbey and my son Cooper has Lennon for a middle name.

My wife wouldn't let me name my son Nick...

As for this sharrod wimp, what a load of rubbish!!!

eppo67
Club Player

Its actually the opposite. The longer the season goes the harder it is for the younger inexperienced bodies to back up. That is because the seasoned bodies after the extra years of doing so become adapted to the recovery times and thus recover better.

Thats why a lot of clubs rest younger players during the year and talk of the effect of the lenghth of a season on young bodies. The Pies had 2 soft as butter Finals before the G/F 1 I wouldn't be surprised to see them flat as a tack this week.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:Its actually the opposite. The longer the season goes the harder it is for the younger inexperienced bodies to back up. That is because the seasoned bodies after the extra years of doing so become adapted to the recovery times and thus recover better.

Thats why a lot of clubs rest younger players during the year and talk of the effect of the lenghth of a season on young bodies. The Pies had 2 soft as butter Finals before the G/F 1 I wouldn't be surprised to see them flat as a tack this week.
Well said.

Arhh, youth is wasted on the young.

Sharron, you will eat those words you young fool.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
TazzieSaintGirl83
Club Player

I would rather have our "old tired players" any day over you Sharrod.

I would love for one of our "old dogs" :roll: to smack him into the turf and show him just what they can do, legally of course :wink:

100% Sainter Girl Through and Through
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:Its actually the opposite. The longer the season goes the harder it is for the younger inexperienced bodies to back up. That is because the seasoned bodies after the extra years of doing so become adapted to the recovery times and thus recover better.

Again a FACT that seems to be lost on everybody except people who have a clue.

IE NO ONE in the media.

It is simply staggering that this discussion point still passes them by in a week where new angles are hard to come by...

I watch GC Suns very closely this year - I live here - and they are the perfect illustration. The young kids were on fire early in the year. Really impressive. By season end the young kids were dragging their feet and three of the top four in the B and F were the recycled 'seasoned' blokes - Harris, Stanley, Iles - and but for injury another one Michael Coad would probably have been a runaway winner.

Just by way of illustration...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
markp
Saintsational Legend

They look to be trying too hard to be positive.

Ben Johnson said this week has been 'amazing', and he's 'rapt'.... Righto.

We, however, dont seem to be trying, we just look like we are.

Joey the morning after on Game Day was his usual cheeky and ebullient self.

Not sure if that's worth too many goals, but there it is.

As for young legs vs battle hardened men in their prime... it's a no brainer, IMO.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

markp wrote:They look to be trying too hard to be positive.

Ben Johnson said this week has been 'amazing', and he's 'rapt'.... Righto.

We, however, dont seem to be trying, we just look like we are.

Joey the morning after on Game Day was his usual cheeky and ebullient self.

Not sure if that's worth too many goals, but there it is.

As for young legs vs battle hardened men in their prime... it's a no brainer, IMO.
I think it is called 'damage control'. The draw hit them hard emotionally. After the siren, it took Ed to come out and speak to his Captain and coach to get them back on track.

Different on the St Kilda side of the equation. BJ, Roo and Ross had the players together quick smart and when the official proceedings were over, our players marched off the ground with purpose.

A lot of conflicting words coming out of Collingwood this week. Most interesting of all coming from the players twitter accounts. Poor little darlings haven't had much attention this week. Big Bad Hirdy, Bomber and Gazza has stolen their limelight. They don't like it too much!

I know where my money would be going if I was a betting person this week.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Wellingham is just hoping that The Saints don't hit him hard. He's praying so to speak!

Another opportunity awaits!
eppo67
Club Player

Further to the above post on recovery, Matthews did an analysis a few years about the optimiun age of players for a premiship window etc.

The conclusion was without a doubt it is when the average age group was b/w 26 to 28. There is is very good reason for this, apart from the mental seasoning it also involves physical seasoning and the ability to last out a long physical season.

The Pies have done this well for the young average age of their playing group this year by having a game plan that is based on blasting out of the blocks and then in most games just cruising in the 2nd half. That is why Matthews thinks the Saints will run over the top of the Pies this week.

He is spot on IMO. The Pies wont last it out. After 2 easy finals last week will be a big shock to their physical and mental recovery.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

eppo67 wrote:Further to the above post on recovery, Matthews did an analysis a few years about the optimiun age of players for a premiship window etc.

The conclusion was without a doubt it is when the average age group was b/w 26 t 28. There is is vey good reason for this, apart from the mental seasoning it also involves physical seasoning and the ability to last out a long physical season.

The Pies have done this well for the young average age of their playing group this year by having a game plan that is based on blasting out of the blocks and then in most games just cruising in the 2nd half. That is why Matthews thinks the Saints will run over the top of the Pies this week.

He is spot on IMO. The Pies wont last it out. After 2 easy finals last week will be a big shock to their physical and mental recovery.
I certainly hope we damage their 'mental recovery' on Saturday so they are unable to recover for the next 5+ years!!! :twisted:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Once we also stop their half back line - the last piece of the puzzle - it's all over red rover.