How important was the decision to let Ball go for Lovett?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

How important was the decision to let Ball go for Lovett?

Rot in Hell (aka Western Sydney) Matthew Drain.

(possibly a bit unfair, but it had to be said by somebody under the circumstances)

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Let him go? Did everything we could not to....he just wanted out SO badly?

Makes me feel sick, he went there to play his part in acheiving this for Collingwood.

kalsaint
Club Player

Yeah but why did he want out?

He knew he could contribute with greater game time and this has proven to be true. This always was a poor decision in my mind we didnt have the replacement. Armo is not that good.

We all forget how much Luke under an injury cloud (OP).

We need to shift the balance of this team or others might get frustrated too.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:Yeah but why did he want out?

He knew he could contribute with greater game time and this has proven to be true. This always was a poor decision in my mind we didnt have the replacement. Armo is not that good.

Pretty sure he has averaged less TOG this year than last, don't try and make him out to be soap opera kind of hero....he wanted to leave and find a club that would fit him in, rather than fit into his team.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

300k a year for zip....everyone of Luke Ball's possesions was a reminder of what I posted in November......it was a decision that would come back to haunt us...

To let a guy of his character go....and recruit an animal.....what was the thinking??????

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I am usually calm and don't get angry much but....

STOP SAYING WE LET HIM GO, HE WALKED

:evil:

StSteven
Club Player

Class act, interview at the end showed that......

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

an absolute gentleman....of the highest character...

Football is always a great judge of character....he passes that test...

He deserves credit......he stood up

saintbob
SS Life Member

Well done Bally!!!

Champion on and off the field.

Very unlucky not to have been awarded the
Norm Smith

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Decision looked OK until Xmas Eve.

kalsaint
Club Player

SainterK wrote:

Pretty sure he has averaged less TOG this year than last, don't try and make him out to be soap opera kind of hero....he wanted to leave and find a club that would fit him in, rather than fit into his team.
Yep he maybe wanted out but he bled for the club for several years so what changed?

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

kaos theory
Club Player

After the first gf, the decsion looked good, Ball did nothing.

So he plays ok when their team dominates, I don't think that's such a big deal.

Getting lovett was a major stff up, though.

If we lost last week by a point, we would think that were are still pretty hot.....Maybe losing like this will knock a few people around in the coaching dept the re-think some strategies.......just like they did after the a bad loss in the 2008 pf.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Yep he maybe wanted out but he bled for the club for several years so what changed?
His pay packet.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Do you know his pay packet???

He left because he was offered a contract that had a 50% pay cut.....plus he was shown no faith by the coach....he was shattered after the 2009 GF for two reasons...he knew his time was up, and it killed him....

at least we spent the money wisely.......

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

If the ball didn't take a joke of a bounce last week Ball would look like a plodding back to back grand final defeat BJ stepladder. Alas,we lose again....good only defeats evil in the movies,I'm convinced

Bring back the Lockett era
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Do you know his pay packet???

He left because he was offered a contract that had a 50% pay cut.....plus he was shown no faith by the coach....he was shattered after the 2009 GF for two reasons...he knew his time was up, and it killed him....

Ball was part of a group of players that made a pact to stay and win this club a flag. He WALKED out on this team over money and a temper tantrum. Good freakin' riddance to him. If you think Ball would have made one iota of a difference today, you are freakin' delusional!!

END RANT

Fortius Quo Fidelius
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, he left and miracuosly, despite at least 4 other clubs saying they interested in him he's still there at pick 30 for the filth to pick up.
Yeah, the draft last year was all fair and square, Unfortunately, the AFL hasn't got the same balls as the NRL and will not investigate.
Collingwood is guilty as hell with tampering with the draft and should suffer the same fate as Melbourne Storm.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Stop gloating - it's unedifying.

I know he's on 500k from Collingwood and we offered him 350k

Other than your misguided lopsided view of everything to don with StKilda, what do you actually know as a fact?

But you just continue to ignore the facts and grizzle, moan and whiteant like normal.

To tell you the truth I'm sick to death of you 'armchair experts' that seem to delight in our poor performances as if you orchestrated it.

Grow some balls, along with your few mates, adn back the Club insted of trying incessantly to bering it down.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

jonesy wrote:If the ball didn't take a joke of a bounce last week Ball would look like a plodding back to back grand final defeat BJ stepladder. Alas,we lose again....good only defeats evil in the movies,I'm convinced
Perfectly summed up!!!

SaintTom
Club Player

saint75 wrote:

Ball was part of a group of players that made a pact to stay and win this club a flag. He WALKED out on this team over money and a temper tantrum. Good freakin' riddance to him. If you think Ball would have made one iota of a difference today, you are freakin' delusional!!

END RANT
He took a pay cut. If you're going to insult him, get the facts right.

As much as everyones going to hate me and ostracise me for saying it, I still love Ball. He looked as if he'd lost the game today, looked like his heart was still with the Saints.

And don't bother replying to this if you're just going to insult him and or me, but what contract does he have with the Pies? How many years?

kalsaint
Club Player

Interesting, I didnt think he got much more $$. It was more about getting game time.

He may have also had little game time this year at times but now has a premiership medal. Maybe he could see that there was too much relaince on the key players at St.Kilda to go that extra step? Smart boy if that was the case though!

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

SaintTom wrote:
saint75 wrote:

END RANT

As much as everyones going to hate me and ostracise me for saying it, I still love Ball. He looked as if he'd lost the game today, looked like his heart was still with the Saints.

And don't bother replying to this if you're just going to insult him and or me, but what contract does he have with the Pies? How many years?
I will reply to what I chose to reply to thanks. He DID NOT take a pay cut with Collingwood, so maybe you should get your facts right. He did have a temper tantrum, well known fact. His heart is with his mates with whom he used to play with, NOT with our club. Not anymore. He walked of his own free will.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

SaintTom wrote:
saint75 wrote:

END RANT

3 year contract, 2 at 500k and the third to be negotiated.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yeah mate....i just wanted us to lose, so i could bag the club....I am absolutely distraught F***wit

and

hang on, I was praising Ball....who deservedly should be praised.

You just HATE the fact that I called the Ball issue a mistake and the club had erred in not trying everything to keep him, and it has turned out so.....bit like Howard, Sweeney, Lovett, Eddy.....and not in hindsight....you have hooked into me, and then been proven wrong....it is why I sh*t you.....yes I am critical, and stick my neck out....but am the first to acknowledge wrong calls.....you on the other hand....

Just admit - the club should have worked harder to USE and then RESIGN Bally.....and not look to an idiot for a quick fix.....Character win out in the end, it is what culture is built on, and it hurt the fabric of StK when L.Ball walked -- why did he walk???

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Ball wouldn't have helped us win the premiership anyway, we were exposed by pace...not something he exactly oozes.

The reasoning behind recruiting Lovett was a justified one, we lack leg speed.