GWILT

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintjake
Club Player

GWILT

how far has this man come.
if it wasn't for Raph, he would of been the number one whipping boy a few years ago.
he spoke about how the pain of missing out last year really drove him to get fitter and work on his flaws.
and what an outcome
looked to be out most composed defender under pressure these days.
not afraid to go for a gallop and is very strong.
and that kick.... dont get me started.
really, its his development thats allowed gilbo to go forward.
big Kudos the Gwilt

btw anyone from m6-7 standing room who heard GAWIL-TYYYY being yelled out every time he touched the ball....im sorry, but i love the man.

Tom_Aus
Club Player

Agree, most improved player at the club and would have to be close to most improved in the AFL, is probably our first defender picked every week now

wallbanger
Club Player

Our best defender by an absolute street.

Please...let's win a Premiership before GEELONG!!!! (O.k., so we've missed that opportunity...maybe let's win the next one before Geelong????)
saintkid
Club Player

wallbanger wrote:Our best defender by an absolute street.
The only one of our lower end players that took the next step. The club needs to work hard to find some rookies that have what it takes. Amazing what Gwilty has achieved from where he has come from and goes to show that first round draft picks aren't the be all end all. You only have to look at 2 of our first round draft picks in McQualter and Armitage as a comparison. Armo I still rate as a chance to make it but McQualter is a waste of list space.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

One of the shining lights from yesterday and from this year is James Gwilt. I don't think he is a 'lower end' player like that improved out of sight like we all think. I just don't think he has been given the opportunity or the confidence to be the 'mid-top range' player that both GT and Ross knew he could be.

Ross has brought out the best in this young man and given him the confidence he needed to show his wares. So damn happy to see his contributions this year. Should poll well at the B&F as well.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saint-stu
Club Player

saintkid wrote:The only one of our lower end players that took the next step.
Certainly our biggest improver. But I think Big Mac made a big step forward this year. He's not there yet, but he's very young for a ruckman.

1ac46a38
philip
Club Player

Gwilt has been a revelation this year and I am very happy to eat my words on the young man.

Let's also not forget Raph showed tremendous improvement before injury in the latter half to the year, and he actually creates in the back half but could be moved to a half forward flank. That said, some of these guys need to get a really good preseason into them and follow Jimmy Gwilt's lead.

Well done, Jimmy Gwilt, I am proud of your contribution and proud to say I was wrong.

philip

Just looking forward to us having a real crack each week, and appreciating the younger talent coming through.
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Re: GWILT

saintjake wrote:how far has this man come.
if it wasn't for Raph, he would of been the number one whipping boy a few years ago.
he spoke about how the pain of missing out last year really drove him to get fitter and work on his flaws.
and what an outcome
looked to be out most composed defender under pressure these days.
not afraid to go for a gallop and is very strong.
and that kick.... dont get me started.
really, its his development thats allowed gilbo to go forward.
big Kudos the Gwilt
Indeed. One of few on our list who has improved for us this year.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

philip wrote:Gwilt has been a revelation this year and I am very happy to eat my words on the young man.

Let's also not forget Raph showed tremendous improvement before injury in the latter half to the year, and he actually creates in the back half but could be moved to a half forward flank. That said, some of these guys need to get a really good preseason into them and follow Jimmy Gwilt's lead.

Well done, Jimmy Gwilt, I am proud of your contribution and proud to say I was wrong.

philip
Ditto from me. I wrote him off last year and said he would never make it. One of the few players who can hold their head high over both GF games this year. Congratulations James.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saintjake
Club Player

Zed wrote:
philip wrote:Gwilt has been a revelation this year and I am very happy to eat my words on the young man.

philip
Ditto from me. I wrote him off last year and said he would never make it. One of the few players who can hold their head high over both GF games this year. Congratulations James.
The Herald Sun did a listing of all the player champion data rankings over both GF's from memory it went
Goddard
Hayes
Thomas
Shaw
Gwilt.
really has come of age.

Rooey_for_PM!
Club Player

Jimmy Gwilt has been spectacular this season, I'm rapt with his ascent - definitely one of the few highlights we've had this year. I actually felt safer when he had the ball in hand, that's how much I rate him. :lol:

~ Fortius Quo Fidelius ~

"To the players, I couldn't be prouder.

"We've got to keep coming and coming. Forget what you see in the media.

"Our premiership window is well and truly open."

Nick Riewoldt - 2/10/10
StPeter
Club Player

I always felt Gwilt has been underrated and his wonderful year is just an extension what has shown in the past...just not given enough opportunity.

I still believe if had been playing in our grand final side last year he would have made all the difference.

smasherini
Club Player

He has been a real positive for the season.
Great recruiting coup by Beveridge (I think).It just goes to show that you don't necessarily find all your players at draft camp and other teams.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt has done a great job and is now moved into our top 6 (IMHO), after all, the finals are where class shows through and a few of our supposed top 6 have failed the test when it counted.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

hes flaming awesome.

not sure he was ever in danger of being a whipping boy. even when he was on the fringe he was poised and didnt make mistakes. the only criticism in his game was not getting involved enough (which was just a lack of confidence). thats about it.

the guy is awesome.

Legendary
Club Player

Would not be surprised if he finishes top 10 in the B&F.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Indulge me in saying, I told you so :wink:

repta
Club Player

One thing about Gwilt .... he is a big game player. He is one that really rises to the challenge of the big game. Very impressed with how he has come on.

Duggie
Club Player

And did'nt he cop a load of flak every week from the impatient "experts" early in his career ! :lol:

A Saint Forever!
derby Street
Club Player

Plus he can kick the ball long and accurately. Improved heaps and now an important player.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

If half our team stepped up the way that Jimmy Gwilt has we would be Premiers already!

Gwilt has been amazing this year!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:If half our team stepped up the way that Jimmy Gwilt has we would be Premiers already!

Absolutely. An envied backman now.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote:One thing about Gwilt .... he is a big game player. He is one that really rises to the challenge of the big game. Very impressed with how he has come on.
its his calm mind that i love. never panics. seems to have a fantastic temperament.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
barks4eva wrote:If half our team stepped up the way that Jimmy Gwilt has we would be Premiers already!

Absolutely. An envied backman now.
He is one of the reasons that Ross can concentrate on the offensive side of the game plan over the summer.

The myth that our defenders one out are actually poor, has been dispelled, our backman no longer rely on the zone to defend.

AP Erebus
Club Player

Legendary wrote:Would not be surprised if he finishes top 10 in the B&F.
I'd be shocked personally.

Been a big rap for him for a while, but this year has stepped up massively.

Looks assured and calm a large portion of the time.

Still can remember him busting lines v Geelong (rnd 13). One of the most enjoyable things to watch this year.

it has been around this time that "Kosi" will headbutt a fence, rip a hamstring or belt someone.