Captaincy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Captaincy

Roo is a good captain, but I think Hayes or BJ would be better. Born leaders.

Thoughts?

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
SaintsToGo

I think it'd be Rooey for me still :)

Brisvegas saint
Club Player

Gotta be Hayes or Goddard. I think because Hayes is approaching the end, BJ gets the nod. Players with mental fragility need not apply.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Yep lets get rid of Rooy as captain. Have people here got memory problems?

Brisvegas saint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Yep lets get rid of Rooy as captain. Have people here got memory problems?
He has failed to stand up three times when it counted. Twice against the biggest spud on the filth list, Nathan Brown. Check out the filth boards from pre-game, they were shitting themselves about that match-up. Nathan "Looks like Tarzann, plays like Jane" Brown owned Rooey twice in grand finals, and believe me it's not because he's good.

Goddard is by far better captaincy material.

Middo
Club Player

Brisvegas saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Yep lets get rid of Rooy as captain. Have people here got memory problems?
He has failed to stand up three times when it counted. Twice against the biggest spud on the filth list, Nathan Brown. Check out the filth boards from pre-game, they were shitting themselves about that match-up. Nathan "Looks like Tarzann, plays like Jane" Brown owned Rooey twice in grand finals, and believe me it's not because he's good.

Crap , leads from the front every game and drags this team over the line time and time again. The most dedicated player we have and now we should just get rid of him as captain ...? If we had another forward in the Grand Finals wonder how he would have went ...

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

where on earth do these thoughts come from....... :roll:

they all lead. But Nick is the Current captain and has well and truelly grown into the role

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Behind Play
Club Player

What grounds do you guys want to drop roo as captain?
Please

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Captaincy

SydneySainter wrote:Roo is a good captain, but I think Hayes or BJ would be better. Born leaders.

Thoughts?
Yep, Lenny & BJ couldn't get the team over the line in GF1 with their herculean efforts.

But if they had've played the same, but had the letter "C" next to their name in the Footy Record, well things would have been different and we'd now be celebrating our flag. :roll:

Really, it makes no sense. Roo is the man for the job!

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Behind Play wrote:What grounds do you guys want to drop roo as captain?
Please
he's a forward and there is gain from having a utility as captain.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

Brisvegas saint wrote:

Sorry but I disagree. Lee Brown is the biggest spud on the filth list. :lol:

spert
Saintsational Legend

A captain needs to inspire and lead by example- especially in finals, so go figure who fits that criteria.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

How come there aren't any more threads bagging Kosi? :shock:

Another opportunity awaits!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:How come there aren't any more threads bagging Kosi? :shock:
Be patient Moccha, be patient :wink:

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Why don't we get a new coach too while we're at it? Who cares if he's taken us closer to the holy grail than any other coach since yabby jeans. He obviously hasn't got what it takes? IN fact sack everyone other than Lenny and BJ - they're the only ones who will stand up and fight when the going gets tough. Make them joint captains and build the rest of the list (kids) around them. We should have a flag in no time.....

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:Roo is a good captain, but I think Hayes or BJ would be better. Born leaders.

Thoughts?
BJ is the man for me. Ive been saying it for 2 years and he proved it in the finals. hes tough and respected by all. his only flaw is giving his teammates a spray which is similar to a young nathan buckley. when buckly became skipper he became more a team player and cut back on the sprays. i thnk BJ would do the same. Nick has had his go at it. Nick should bulk up and move to Full Forward at this stage of his career IMO. The saints cant just become a team that plays around Nick Riewoldt. Its like the bad old days. Riewoldt needs to become just a really good player that plays for the saints. Ths saints arent his vessel for stardom. The team should be bigger than the individual rock star player.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Thoughts?
BJ is the man for me. Ive been saying it for 2 years and he proved it in the finals. hes tough and respected by all. his only flaw is giving his teammates a spray which is similar to a young nathan buckley. when buckly became skipper he became more a team player and cut back on the sprays. i thnk BJ would do the same. Nick has had his go at it. Nick should bulk up and move to Full Forward at this stage of his career IMO. The saints cant just become a team that plays around Nick Riewoldt. Its like the bad old days. Riewoldt needs to become just a really good player that plays for the saints. Ths saints arent his vessel for stardom. The team should be bigger than the individual rock star player.
What a load of crap. Do you suffer short term memory problems or do you only remember the last game played. Rooy had a great year considering his injury and we have made the last 2 GF's just incase you have forgotten that too. The funny thing is if this thread was around a week before the finals 99% of people would pick Rooy. I think it is funny when people have a go at reporters for changing their mind weekly when this thread proves some people on here do to.

Rooy will be captain until such time as he doesnt want to do it or RL sees a better option, none which are happening in the next 2-3 years.

saintnick12
Club Player

Agree with you plugger66.

This exact same thread went 4 pages less than 2 weeks ago too....

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... highlight=

So I'm not going to bother rehashing my opinion again...

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Saints43
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:The funny thing is if this thread was around a week before the finals 99% of people would pick Rooy.
Is it still a week before the finals?

Some people have had their opinions swayed by what they saw in the finals.

Let us all know if that's OK.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

What a surprise the two biggest douchebags in plaguer66 and bums4eva hanging out together on another thread..?

Con G is spot on for mine :wink:
Con G wrote:BJ is the man for me. Ive been saying it for 2 years and he proved it in the finals. hes tough and respected by all. his only flaw is giving his teammates a spray which is similar to a young nathan buckley. when buckly became skipper he became more a team player and cut back on the sprays. i thnk BJ would do the same. Nick has had his go at it. Nick should bulk up and move to Full Forward at this stage of his career IMO. The saints cant just become a team that plays around Nick Riewoldt. Its like the bad old days. Riewoldt needs to become just a really good player that plays for the saints. Ths saints arent his vessel for stardom. The team should be bigger than the individual rock star player.
Last edited by ChicagoSaint on Fri 15 Oct 2010 10:52am, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:The funny thing is if this thread was around a week before the finals 99% of people would pick Rooy.

Have your opinion then but that opinion is clearly not correct. So you want a new captain because our current one struggled in one GF and was pretty good in the other. Do we change captains next year if BJ struggles for the first 5 weeks or are the finals the only consideration?

Brisvegas saint
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

Have your opinion then but that opinion is clearly not correct. So you want a new captain because our current one struggled in one GF and was pretty good in the other. Do we change captains next year if BJ struggles for the first 5 weeks or are the finals the only consideration?
It's more the 3 grand finals, 3 goals from the best forward in the game that bothers me. And two of those games were against an absolute spud.
Last edited by Brisvegas saint on Fri 15 Oct 2010 11:00am, edited 1 time in total.

ChicagoSaint
Club Player

Brisvegas saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

It's more the 3 grand finals, 3 goals from the best forward in the game that bothers me. And two of those games was against an absolute spud.
the structure is too predictable.
it's not a knock on roo than BJ is a better player than him.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Brisvegas saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

It's more the 3 grand finals, 3 goals from the best forward in the game that bothers me. And two of those games was against an absolute spud.
What about 3 goals in the qualifying final against the AA CHB in a game where literally no-one outside our club thought we would win? His first half was vital in us winning that game, and he played ok in the 2nd half as well. Or does the GF only count?

Saints43
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

How'd he go across all three he's played in?

IMO his heroics of clearing the forward line (despite having had little impact) played a large part in us losing 2009.

GF1 he was OK. GF2 was poor.

When BJ has captained the club in three GFs people can get back to you with an assesment.