It is still better to make a GF and lose,than to not make it

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asaint
Club Player

It is still better to make a GF and lose,than to not make it

Ok. it is like this. I am tired of the pity being thrown my way from Richmond,Melbourne etc supporters,who act like they would hate to be me right now. Yes I am miserable and suffering badly but I would have been miserable and suffering badly if we had lost the preliminary final. Was I devastated in 2004,2005,2006 and 2008? Absolutely. Less so,perhaps than the 2 GF losses, more because it is an accumulation of despair and the realisation that we may not be there next year. I am so proud of the fact that we fought so hard this season to almost steal a win from a better side,with everything that went wrong this year. I am shattered as I feel my hope of seeing a flag slipping away. However, other supporters can shove their pity and go worry about their own teams as I would still rather enjoy a wonderful season and almost do the unbelievable than sit there week after week and see my side beaten. . Because if you can make a GF,you just never know what may happen.

spert
Saintsational Legend

It's much better to be in the finals than not, but at the same time to see us roll over two years running is totally deflating considering we promise so much, but ultimately don't deliver when it counts the most. I'm really over excuses for this that and the other, and as a long time supporter I just want to see the club make the changes and moves no matter what it needs, to get the next bloody premiership!

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Ask the Bulldog supporters that question. They've only ever made 2 grand finals in their history

Another opportunity awaits!
St Lenny
Club Player

Moccha wrote:Ask the Bulldog supporters that question. They've only ever made 2 grand finals in their history
And yet everyone goes on about our history, why don't they go on about theirs, we have been way more successful.

saintlee
Club Player

St Lenny wrote:
Moccha wrote:Ask the Bulldog supporters that question. They've only ever made 2 grand finals in their history
And yet everyone goes on about our history, why don't they go on about theirs, we have been way more successful.
The Doggies 9 VFA flags says different. Granted it was a long time ago now, in a lesser comp, but they were a powerhouse. That is the reason they escape some of the loser tag that we always cop.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:
St Lenny wrote:
The Doggies 9 VFA flags says different. Granted it was a long time ago now, in a lesser comp, but they were a powerhouse. That is the reason they escape some of the loser tag that we always cop.
Far too long ago saintlee.

If ya can't watch the DVD it simply didn't happen. :wink:

saintlee
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
saintlee wrote:
St Lenny wrote:

hehe...awesome, does that mean we can wipe off the 13 spoons we "won" in the first 20 odd years of our existence?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
saintlee wrote:
St Lenny wrote:

hehe...awesome, does that mean we can wipe off the 13 spoons we "won" in the first 20 odd years of our existence?
Well I've never seem 'em :wink:

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I think we've had a brilliant past couple of years, but it still pains me that we got so close, yet so far when it came to the crunch.

It must be hard for everyone, the club, the players and the supporters to get back off the mat and go again. That said, I know in my heart we're not done with yet and will give it a red-hot crack in 2011.

The trouble with slipping up in the last game is the fact that as the team who finishes second, you're paraded around like part of the trophy (for years!)...the other 14 teams are forgotten and disappear to fight again the next season unscathed.

No doubt we'll be up for a good old fashioned ribbing by other feral supporters next season due to our inability to finish off. It's a bit of a catch 22 IMHO

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I agree wholeheartedly with the O.P. He can add some of our sad sack supporters in there as well moping around feeling sorry for themselves. It goes without saying that we all would definitely love a flag, but I am bloody proud of the what the boys did this year. Let's face it, EVERYONE was tipping a cats v pies GF. We upset that applecart and came within a bees dick of pinching the big one. The boys played out of their skins against a team that won every other final by an average maragin of nearly 10 goals.

Yes it's depressing to lose after getting our hopes up, but I reckon it's high time we all acknowledged that what the boys did this year was pretty incredible. Lost our skipper and best player for half a season, were beset with scandle after scandle - lost Bakes for nearly half the year.

WE haven't lost ANY players for next year. Gards is the only one who looks like retiring in the near future. Zac looked fantastic at the tail end of the year (finally) Gwilt came of age, and BJ stood up and announced himself as a genuine superstar of the comp during the finals. I am rapt with what the saints gave me this year and last year. THere is definite room for improvement, but the coach always seems on top of things and appears as determined as anyone to get us a flag.

I too laugh at Richmond, Essendon, Melbourne supporters who have made jokes at our expense since the GF. In fact the only clubs in Melbourne that can afford to have a quiet snigger at us are the pies, Cats and Hawks. The rest have been a huge disappointment for at least 10 years.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:I agree wholeheartedly with the O.P. He can add some of our sad sack supporters in there as well moping around feeling sorry for themselves. It goes without saying that we all would definitely love a flag, but I am bloody proud of the what the boys did this year. Let's face it, EVERYONE was tipping a cats v pies GF. We upset that applecart and came within a bees dick of pinching the big one. The boys played out of their skins against a team that won every other final by an average maragin of nearly 10 goals.

Yes it's depressing to lose after getting our hopes up, but I reckon it's high time we all acknowledged that what the boys did this year was pretty incredible. Lost our skipper and best player for half a season, were beset with scandle after scandle - lost Bakes for nearly half the year.

WE haven't lost ANY players for next year. Gards is the only one who looks like retiring in the near future. Zac looked fantastic at the tail end of the year (finally) Gwilt came of age, and BJ stood up and announced himself as a genuine superstar of the comp during the finals. I am rapt with what the saints gave me this year and last year. THere is definite room for improvement, but the coach always seems on top of things and appears as determined as anyone to get us a flag.

Well said, particularly about there being room for improvement. We're not done yet.

Saintersss
Club Player

While the pain of losing a grand final is gut-wrenching. I must say I really enjoy grand final week and being able to watch my team be talked about all week.

Grand final week is a good week in general, but it is so much more enjoyable when your team is in the big one.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:While the pain of losing a grand final is gut-wrenching. I must say I really enjoy grand final week and being able to watch my team be talked about all week.

Grand final week is a good week in general, but it is so much more enjoyable when your team is in the big one.
Indeed.

Despite the disappointment of the last 2 years, why would anyone not want to make a GF? :?

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

St Lenny wrote:
Because we are a club with personality, flair and an interesting history. We have the best colours in the league and have had and currently do have the best players in the league.

The dogs are nothing, and nobody cares about them. As such nobody makes a big deal about their even worse history.

They are truly nobodies.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Saintersss wrote:While the pain of losing a grand final is gut-wrenching. I must say I really enjoy grand final week and being able to watch my team be talked about all week.

Indeed.

Despite the disappointment of the last 2 years, why would anyone not want to make a GF? :?
How would you know the feeling of losing unless you get there in the first place? Just ask the Bulldogs.

With the oppoortunity of winning comes the risk of losing. I better not leave my house today.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The_Merchant
Club Player

I don't understand how upset everyone gets about being beaten grand finalists. I would much prefer that to the other 14 spots. I have got to watch my team play in 3 grand finals in the last 2 years, no other teams supporters can say that. We didn't roll over in two of those games, and in all three we were up against much more highly fancied opposition.
Only one team can win on the last day, unfortunately it has been us the last two times. That doesn't show any fundamental weakness, it shows that we came very close. I don't see why I shouldn't be happy about how our club has gone over the last decade.
I would be happy, just getting to the GF again next year, and I would hope that every other teams supporters would be too (with the exception of pies supporters who think they have it in the bag), obviously I would like to see us win, but I would definitely at least want to see us get the opportunity to try.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The_Merchant wrote:I don't understand how upset everyone gets about being beaten grand finalists. I would much prefer that to the other 14 spots. I have got to watch my team play in 3 grand finals in the last 2 years, no other teams supporters can say that. We didn't roll over in two of those games, and in all three we were up against much more highly fancied opposition.
Only one team can win on the last day, unfortunately it has been us the last two times. That doesn't show any fundamental weakness, it shows that we came very close. I don't see why I shouldn't be happy about how our club has gone over the last decade.
I would be happy, just getting to the GF again next year, and I would hope that every other teams supporters would be too (with the exception of pies supporters who think they have it in the bag), obviously I would like to see us win, but I would definitely at least want to see us get the opportunity to try.
Better to be in the big dance than simply sitting in the corner watching another couple going for it!

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I think the pity is more from the fact that we should have won two of the three grand finals we have played in but still haven't taken the chocolates. 2010 particularly. The young Pies handed the game to us.

I tried watching the 09 season highlights DVD that came with the membership pack. I turned it off after twenty minutes. It made me sick. Not just because we had no flag, but because we didn't do a Geelong or West Coast and avenge it the following year.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Would I prefer to lose a GF against Collingwood over a mid-ladder comfortably mediocre spot? DAMN STRAIGHT!!!! I've erased the memory of 2010 from my thinking! Looking forward to 2011 and going to the footy with my pals!
YES! I'll take another losing Gf appearance if it helps build toward the ultimate prize!!!!!

GO SAINTS!!!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
PeckettofChips
Club Player

Agreed.

In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

You just adjust your expectations accordingly. When we couldn't get past a prelim, you started to yearn for them to drag themselves over the line. Now we get there a couple of times your focus shifts as it should to a grander prize.

I have followed us through the s*** times and can still remember sitting in driving rain out at waverley on the back of another flogging by an equally s*** team. Having to turn up at work with smirks by workmates after another wooden spoon.

You would rather be in there with a chance to take one home but it doesn't stop the tension in the neck when you remember how close we came.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I have followed us through the s*** times and can still remember sitting in driving rain out at waverley on the back of another flogging by an equally s*** team....
Terrible days indeed and a terrible feeling.

Would have been worse if it hadn't been for those hot donut vans (the gridlock getting outta the joint made it easy for the driver to slam a couple of hot ones down :wink: )

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Always better to make a GF than not make one. I got no joy from losing Prelims, Semis, Eliminations & not making the finals at all or any of the wooden spoons. I did get joy from the lead ups to the GFs in 97, 09 & 10, I also got joy from large parts of those games, unfortunately I did not receive the ultimate joy but one thing I know for sure is that I'll never experience that ultimate joy if the Saints are not at least in the GF.