WHERE DO WE FIND FOUR GOALS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

WHERE DO WE FIND FOUR GOALS

Although premierships are decided on defence, lets face it, a team must still kick a reasonable score to win a game of football.

In 2010 St Kilda averaged 76 points for, against the other seven finalists throughout the season. Compare this with Collingwoods 103 points for, against the other seven finalists. Close enough to four goals difference.

Our defence is rock solid, and arguably the best in the business, so where do we pick up extra goals.

Whilst Rooey played only half a season, Milney and Schneider did their bit, and presumably Kosi and Mini played their roles.

Do we look to the midfield for more score input, or will the young ones like Stanley and Steven take the next step ?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: WHERE DO WE FIND FOUR GOALS

Stephen Theodore wrote:Although premierships are decided on defence, lets face it, a team must still kick a reasonable score to win a game of football.

In 2010 St Kilda averaged 76 points for, against the other seven finalists throughout the season. Compare this with Collingwoods 103 points for, against the other seven finalists. Close enough to four goals difference.

Our defence is rock solid, and arguably the best in the business, so where do we pick up extra goals.

Whilst Rooey played only half a season, Milney and Schneider did their bit, and presumably Kosi and Mini played their roles.Do we look to the midfield for more score input, or will the young ones like Stanley and Steven take the next step ?
Get these two to step up and dominate a hand full of games each and we're in business. Also, if Gilbo proves to be a winner up forward, even better !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern wrote:
Also, if Gilbo proves to be a winner up forward, even better !!

Gilbert was unpredictable up forward,(good unpredictable) especially in the first G.F. Am hoping that Stanley can play a similar role up forward next season.
Last edited by Stephen Theodore on Wed 10 Nov 2010 1:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

The Saints definitely won't find 4 more goals without introducing some new players

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:Eastern wrote:
Also, if Gilbo proves to be a winner up forward, even better !!

Gilbert was unpredictable up forward, especially in the first G.F. Am hoping that Stanley can play a similar role up forward next season.
We can all hope for massive improvement from Lynch & Heyne too. Both have played that role at the lower level !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Don't expect any more from Kosi or Mini, they are finished.

Lynch, Stanley, Heyne, Cahill and Walsh need to take the next step.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Don't expect any more from Kosi or Mini, they are finished.Lynch, Stanley, Heyne, Cahill and Walsh need to take the next step.
Should we have de-listed both of them? !!

shmic_s
Club Player

Eastern wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Don't expect any more from Kosi or Mini, they are finished.Lynch, Stanley, Heyne, Cahill and Walsh need to take the next step.
Think they could be tried in different roles. I think with the new interchange role Kosi has his place. Mini didn't look like a forward in 2010.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
No but we should introduce them both to Brett Lovett

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Eastern wrote:
We can all hope for massive improvement from Lynch & Heyne too. Both have played that role at the lower level !!

Both have been in the system for two years ?, and would be expected to play minor to medium roles next season. I'm presuming here, as I have not seen them play regularly at any level, and wouldnt have a clue how they performed at Sandy this season. Both played one senior game ? this season, so hopefully can go to the next level.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:Eastern wrote:

Both have been in the system for two years ?, and would be expected to play minor to medium roles next season. I'm presuming here, as I have not seen them play regularly at any level, and wouldnt have a clue how they performed at Sandy this season. Both played one senior game ? this season, so hopefully can go to the next level.
Both are much better than what they showed in their debut Saints games. Playing Lynch on Fletcher was a disgrace, talk about lambs to the slaughter.

rexy
SS Life Member

The Key is to find someone who threatens to kick 4 if not paid respect so that Rooey and Kosi become more damaging, in 09 mini averaged close to a goal a game and kicked a very high percentage of set shots, in 2010 for whatever reason he got sucked further up the ground and stopped being a threat and so Reiwoldt and Kosi were easier to zone off on and double team. Also against good sides our whole forward line played very high and was less threatening due to the positions they often got the ball in being so far from goal.

IMO we do need one of Lynch Heyne Stanley(to tall if Kosi stays at FF) or Walsh to step up. But we also need one or two of Miles Steven Geary Winmar to add pace and line breaking ability to our HB line so that we dont get pinned in defence, dragging our forwards to high. IMO Gilbert needs to become a stopper at the expense of one of our less skilled defenders (Blake Baker or Dawson) and we need to inject some skilled running defenders in to the side, Gilbert was filling this role but his goose step and skills under real preassure were exposed. He is to good a player to not be in the side but he needs to be a stopper first and attacking player second, like Scarlett or Lake. This may be why we were interested in Tambling for a sweeping type of role?

We need to roll the dice at selection early in the year IMO and have a look at some different set ups, some of the players who I love and strongly beleive are/were best 22 players in 2010 may have to make way for a slightly different style of footy. None of Dawson, Blake, Gilbert, Fisher Gram Ray or Baker are exceptionally good kicks, nor are they super fast. This is the key to our forward line becoming more threatening I think.

Maybe this year?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

:wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We have to be realistic. We arent going to find 4 goals a game. We should be trying for a more realistic 2 goals a game or better still if we play the Pies next year in the GF just one more point will do.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The emphasis has to be more on attack and less on defence; more on creating and less on negating.

My wish list.

1) Fewer numbers behind the ball. It's difficult to kick goals with no actual forwards in position.

2) No purely defensive forwards. Sure, they must have a defensive aspect to their game, but the priority has to be goals.

3) Kosi plays elsewhere. He hasn't worked as a key position forward.

4) Quicker movement of the ball. We may lack leg speed, but the ball moves faster through the air than anyone can run. Aerially we are very strong.

5) Riewoldt plays deep. This will encourage more midfield goals and tempt others to take it on themselves to goal rather than spot up Riewoldt every time.

6) Fewer stoppers. The priority has to be getting the ball and doing something with it rather than upsetting the opposition. Not sure there is a place for all of Baker, Dempster, McQualter and Eddy unless they can show further strings to their bows.

7) The emergence of some young talent. Steven, Walsh, Stanley, Heyne etc must put pressure on for selection and should be considered on form.

8) Scoreboard pressure as well as defensive pressure. Collingwood has both. As of 2010 we have mastered only defensive pressure.

The same old approach will not cut it another year. There's got to be significant tweaks to the gameplan addressing, in particular, scoreboard pressure.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:We have to be realistic. We arent going to find 4 goals a game. We should be trying for a more realistic 2 goals a game or better still if we play the Pies next year in the GF just one more point will do.
correct, you won't get four goals, play jack steven and lynch/stanley you may get two. walsh won't be ready.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Bardon Saint
Club Player

further to bigcarl's post:

We have a few too many players who are simply playing a role and have no ability to provide a bit of X themselves. There is a lot of truth in the saying the best form of defence is attack.
Whilst there is somewhat of a place for this in defence (ie Baker, Blake), the remainder of the ground should have players who can place offensive pressure on the opposition. I don't feel that mini or eddy can do this. I don't feel that dempster adds any X either-little run or creativity from the backline.

Round 1 2011 (based on still being sore from the grand final and looking for an answer, any answer)
Out: mini, eddy, dempster
In: Armo, Steven, Miles?

The basis for this is that the 'Ins' can do the equivalent 'team role' jobs but also provide offensive pressure.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I agree with playing young Jack, he has better than a goal a game average already. More than can be said for a lot of our regular forrwards.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

I would be hoping that Steven and Stanley (as well as Armo of course) can play regular AFL football next season.

As a well known pollie once said. IT'S TIME

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Not from Rob Eddy

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Strange decision I reckon. Personally. I didnt think Eddy offered a lot, especially from my spectating position, but he's scored a run in both G.F,s, and then is given the rissole when he's presumably in the best 22 players.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:Strange decision I reckon. Personally. I didnt think Eddy offered a lot, especially from my spectating position, but he's scored a run in both G.F,s, and then is given the rissole when he's presumably in the best 22 players.
Clearly Ross has thoughts of a better best 22 for 2011.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Yep, you're right, spaceman, and I hope its one of our young players he has in mind.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:Yep, you're right, spaceman, and I hope its one of our young players he has in mind.
It better be more than one.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Bernard Shakey wrote:
It better be more than one.

Agree, I think we're all feeling its time for the Armo, Heyne, Stanley, etc to make a statement next season, especially Armo.