BALDOCK'S STATE FUNERAL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

oh when
Club Player

BALDOCK'S STATE FUNERAL

A State Funeral for Darrel will be held in Tassie on Friday at 1-00pm.
St Kilda still deciding whether the whole list will attend. Hopefully St Kilda will organise a live cross at Frankston for us members.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

I think the entire team should attend.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ralphsmith wrote:I think the entire team should attend.

It would be good but it is also maybe a bit of tokenism. I would think at least 50% of our list no little or nothing about him. Maybe all the leaders should go though. I suppose the other way to look at it is they may learn a bit more about our ex players if they go.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

There usually televised on tv state funerals arent they any way?

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

It would be good but it is also maybe a bit of tokenism. I would think at least 50% of our list no little or nothing about him. Maybe all the leaders should go though. I suppose the other way to look at it is they may learn a bit more about our ex players if they go.
Tell me how you know this or are you making it up?

I would find it staggering if 50% of the list didn't know who Darrell Baldock was.

I really think you have foot in mouth disease.

Another opportunity awaits!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I would find it staggering if 50% of the list didn't know who Darrell Baldock was.

I reckon half our list at times in the past year have been very stupid.

So I wouldn't be surprised if plugger was on the money.

Obviously all the leadership group should go, together with the coaches, Prez and CEO.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

I wish I could go!

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Ralphy wrote:There usually televised on tv state funerals arent they any way?
In that state.

They walk amongst us...

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Read your own quote, he didn't say they didn't know who Darrell Baldock was, he said they "no (sic) little or nothing about him."

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Moccha wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Read your own quote, he didn't say they didn't know who Darrell Baldock was, he said they "no (sic) little or nothing about him."
For 50% of the players to know nothing about him is to know to nothing about what he did for the St.Kilda football club. How can that be when he's an icon at the club?

Another opportunity awaits!
SteveStevens66
Club Player

If the players don't know about Doc they should be made to know about him. It is the club's responsibility to make sure they are not ignorant. Then they might learn something of our history and they will also have seen a model of excellence to which they should all aspire.

All new recruits to the Filth, for example, are led on a tour of the silverware cabinets to get them to realize the club's history and who they are playing for. (It's the same all over the world, Man U, New York Yankees, etc).

Our silverware cupboard mightn't be overstocked but there are plenty of lessons the players can learn about the genuine greats of the game who have played for us. That way, they'll be made aware of the fact that there is much about St Kilda of which they can be proud.

Carna Saints!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
Moccha wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

For 50% of the players to know nothing about him is to know to nothing about what he did for the St.Kilda football club. How can that be when he's an icon at the club?
Well i can tell you at least 3 guys recruited at the end of last season knew his name and he was Captain of the club and that is it. It is only my opinion and I stick by it. Unlike us most of our players dont follow our club. They learn eventually but todays generation dont really give two hoots about the past. I stick with what I said. And as BS said I never said they didnt know him. As you said foot in mouth disease.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

I think the whole playing group should attend but it frightens me what some might get up to.

Sad I know but I just don't trust some of them at the moment.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:I think the whole playing group should attend but it frightens me what some might get up to.

Fair point DSG.

Seems a few of our players are more interested in a sleep than a wake at the moment :shock:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:I think the whole playing group should attend but it frightens me what some might get up to.

Fair point DSG.

Seems a few of our players are more interested in a sleep than a wake at the moment :shock:
Gold Spacey!!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
older saint
SS Life Member

The whole playing group should attend.

This is something which could stage a change in the club culture. If as speculated the history of the club and its greats are not something that new players are taught about in the induction it should be.

Pride in the club is about respecting those who have worn the jumpers before you. This needs to be ingrained in the playing group to increase pride and respect in the jumper. To respect you need to know about their feats and the history.
One thing Steve Waugh did well was introduce pride in the baggy green and part of this was having past greats present caps and players having to know about them.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

The whole list should go.

Nothing like death to get you focused on what is important, and how lucky you are.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:The whole playing group should attend.

This is something which could stage a change in the club culture. If as speculated the history of the club and its greats are not something that new players are taught about in the induction it should be.

Pride in the club is about respecting those who have worn the jumpers before you. This needs to be ingrained in the playing group to increase pride and respect in the jumper. To respect you need to know about their feats and the history.
One thing Steve Waugh did well was introduce pride in the baggy green and part of this was having past greats present caps and players having to know about them.
I dont think todays players will really ever feel like that. Footy is a profession now. A lot of players drafted these days dont even really follow a club. I reckon going down there will help them for one day and then it will all be lost on them. They are supporters like we are.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

They should send the Doc off with a wake of which he would be proud.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote:They should send the Doc off with a wake of which he would be proud.
a what?

Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Ralphy wrote:
mbogo wrote:They should send the Doc off with a wake of which he would be proud.
a what?
www.google.com.au

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Certainly the 18 current players who went to Launceston for the round 19 clash against Hawthorn in 2009 will know who he was because they met him at a specially arranged function. And I reckon that the seven senior payers who did not make the trip (the two Nicks, Lenny, two Sams, Leigh and Michael) might have an inkling as well.

Only a HUN loving moron would claim that current St Kilda players had never heard of Darrel Baldock or did not know that he was club captain in 1966.

Unless there are injury concerns, they should all go.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

ST KILDA captain Nick Riewoldt and coach Ross Lyon will fly to Tasmania to attend a state funeral for club legend Darrel Baldock.
Baldock, 72, passed away last Wednesday evening at the Mersey Community Hospital at Latrobe in Tasmania's north.

The Saints' only premiership captain will be farewelled at a state funeral in Latrobe on Friday.

The ABC reports St Kilda captain Riewoldt, vice-captain Lenny Hayes and coach Lyon will fly into Tasmania to attend the funeral at the Latrobe Football Oval.

President Greg Westaway and chief executive Michael Nettlefold will also make the trip, along with Baldock's 1966 premiership teammate Kevin "Cowboy" Neale.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:ST KILDA captain Nick Riewoldt and coach Ross Lyon will fly to Tasmania to attend a state funeral for club legend Darrel Baldock.
Baldock, 72, passed away last Wednesday evening at the Mersey Community Hospital at Latrobe in Tasmania's north.

The Saints' only premiership captain will be farewelled at a state funeral in Latrobe on Friday.

The ABC reports St Kilda captain Riewoldt, vice-captain Lenny Hayes and coach Lyon will fly into Tasmania to attend the funeral at the Latrobe Football Oval.

President Greg Westaway and chief executive Michael Nettlefold will also make the trip, along with Baldock's 1966 premiership teammate Kevin "Cowboy" Neale.
Sensible in the circumstances. Taking the whole team would turn a sombre event into a distasteful circus.

Still, watch the contrary opinions come...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:Certainly the 18 current players who went to Launceston for the round 19 clash against Hawthorn in 2009 will know who he was because they met him at a specially arranged function. And I reckon that the seven senior payers who did not make the trip (the two Nicks, Lenny, two Sams, Leigh and Michael) might have an inkling as well.

Only a HUN loving moron would claim that current St Kilda players had never heard of Darrel Baldock or did not know that he was club captain in 1966.

Unless there are injury concerns, they should all go.
I thought you wrote this but as we all know you left this forum when you sooked that someone started a thread on the coaching award. That was the funniest thing I have ever read. And I do agree that only a moron would state the current Saints players had never heard of the Doc or that he captained the 1966 premiership side. I just have read anyone saying that so I dont know why you mentioned it but as I said you didnt write this because you quit the forum.