the 6th man- Robbos article- your response

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

the 6th man- Robbos article- your response

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/f ... 6015679579

which sentence stands out for you.... and everyone will have a differant focus
Lyon is firm, sometimes manic, mostly always instructional.

He does not abuse his players, despite mistakes. Frustrated yes, sometimes angry, but never insulting

and
Lyon throws a spanner in the game plan by wanting to abandon the "sixth man", meaning every player should be responsible for an opposition player. "Tell the mids to catch and kill their own," he tells the bench.

The players haven't necessarily trained for it, so it works and it doesn't work, adding to the irritation. In fact, Lyon is most vocal in the last quarter. His demands have no boundaries.

Near the end, when the match has lost all zest and Lyon looks ahead to Round 1, his rotation instructions are simple: "Get the guns off. Get Lenny off. Look after the guns, please
."

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Then: "Tommy Ledger, good boy . . . he has a go, the little prick."
new nickname?

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

bergholt wrote:
new nickname?
Sure thats not a mistake and they arent talking about Dal Santo?? :lol: :lol:

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
bergholt wrote:
new nickname?
give it a break

Another opportunity awaits!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
stkildathunda wrote:
bergholt wrote:
new nickname?
give it a break
Fair call IMO.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
suss
Club Player

I support the magazine deserves some credit for once - the article is a ripper. So is the coach mind you.

I too had a chuckle at the Ledger 'little prick' line - very funny. I also liked the coach's assessment of Archer.

python
Club Player

"It's 6.52pm. The players are back and they bump and push and hit the lane work, just like any footy club. Voices explode, bodies move and the ball zips around like a pinball. The buzz is drowned by noise and above the noise is Milne. He doesn't shut up."

This bit made me laugh. Gotta love Milne

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

like the fact Lyon rates hard work, going in hard, flying/launching for the ball, and protecting team mates

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
St Lenny
Club Player

Does anyone know the link for the Mark Robinson audio, I couldnt find it.

HSV King, locked my thread and I would just like to say to him, the reason I started a new thread was I have put questions up on others threads before and they don't get answered.

Amazing you can lock a thread over something so trivial yet you allow so much crap to continue page after page. No logic at all, or do you have favourites :roll:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Robbo

I was annoyed with you for the part you played in the intial reporting of some St Kilda issues mid last year, it's taken a long time for the club to recover from some of the untruths of that story that stuck for a very long time.

However, pat yourself on the back for this one.

Of course I loved that it was a insight into St Kilda, but I think I would of enjoyed the read regardless of which club. It was well written, and really managed to bring the vibe of the box through print.

I get a vibe you greatly respect this footy club, it's certainly hard not to.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:Does anyone know the link for the Mark Robinson audio, I couldnt find it.

HSV King, locked my thread and I would just like to say to him, the reason I started a new thread was I have put questions up on others threads before and they don't get answered.

Amazing you can lock a thread over something so trivial yet you allow so much crap to continue page after page. No logic at all, or do you have favourites :roll:
I'm guessing you haven't noticed how many threads I move/delete/lock which are unnecessary as they are doubling up or already exist.

No favourites, just sick of having to go through so many new posts which could be elsewhere.

Ever thought, if no one answers, maybe no one knows?

Google can be your best friend.

They walk amongst us...

St Lenny
Club Player

Well it was up the other day and now it has magically gone. I thought this was a forum where you could ask questions, I didn't realise I had to google it. Why bother having a forum if thats the case.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:Well it was up the other day and now it has magically gone. I thought this was a forum where you could ask questions, I didn't realise I had to google it. Why bother having a forum if thats the case.
Can you see our point of view though?

Thread after thread with 1 or maybe 2 replies... We have to go through all of these. If they were all together instead of spread out because of all the new ones it wouldn't be so hard for us.

A longer thread which has already been replied to is more likely to be answered than a new thread (look at how many go unanswered).

They walk amongst us...

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I'm often a very vocal critic of Robinson but this is an exceptional piece of 'insider' writing.

Credit where due.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
St Lenny
Club Player

HSVKing wrote:
St Lenny wrote:Well it was up the other day and now it has magically gone. I thought this was a forum where you could ask questions, I didn't realise I had to google it. Why bother having a forum if thats the case.

Thread after thread with 1 or maybe 2 replies... We have to go through all of these. If they were all together instead of spread out because of all the new ones it wouldn't be so hard for us.

A longer thread which has already been replied to is more likely to be answered than a new thread (look at how many go unanswered).
Yes I can see your point to a point, but most long threads get off track which is annoying to the person who started it. But can you see mine? As tHe question hasnt been asnwered and this has what has happened in the past, hence why I asked the question.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

fantastic article, it's what is missing for 99% of the time in both papers.

Will digest it again but sheesh Lyon calls it very well.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:
HSVKing wrote:

Yes I can see your point to a point, but most long threads get off track which is annoying to the person who started it. But can you see mine? As tHe question hasnt been asnwered and this has what has happened in the past, hence why I asked the question.
Well it has been answered. Another poster has bumped the thread which contained it. The search function is supplied to the forum for this very reason.

Please everyone, I ask again, use the search function to find an answer before filling the forum with more and more 1 post threads. It'll make navigating this place so much easier!

They walk amongst us...

St Lenny
Club Player

Now I know I am going to be left looking stupid asking this question, but I did try and look via the search, but I couldnt find the search button. No doubt I have had a boy look, but where is it?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:Now I know I am going to be left looking stupid asking this question, but I did try and look via the search, but I couldnt find the search button. No doubt I have had a boy look, but where is it?
FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Register
Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in
top of page

:oops: or just look for my name and look at profile and search all posts by- I generally find them :oops:

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
philtee
Club Player

Anyhow, I liked the opening paras from Mark Robinson -

"ONLY fools and haters would deny St Kilda's credentials as a premiership contender. Words to the fools: The Saints are three-time grand finalists,
are disciplined, selfless, mightily resilient and arguably have the best "top six" group of players in the competition".

I think it was Nathan Thompson who wrote the Saints off earlier in the week...fool and hater ?

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Interesting point I think...

-The "guns", Lyons says, pick themselves. As for the rest? "I don't gift anyone games."

I seem to feel that some players are gifted games on the back of roles and structures as opposed to ability... To the detriment of the team IMO...

Hopefully this philosophy has changed, and guys like Eddy and Mini, who clearly were not performing yet keeping their spots, are under more pressure...

Mini started well last week, lets hope this continues...

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

philtee wrote:I think it was Nathan Thompson who wrote the Saints off earlier in the week...fool and hater ?
If the shoe fits... he should wear it.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Sobraz wrote: I seem to feel that some players are gifted games on the back of roles and structures as opposed to ability... To the detriment of the team IMO...
I tend to disagree. The "role" player concept is just that, RL has a role he requires to be filled, and he picks the best man on our list to fill that. They might not be better overall footballers, but I dont think that counts as getting gifted a game.

I think like this, if the best 15 players on your list are all 195cm plus, but you can only play 14 of them in key positions. Do you pick the 15th best player to play out of position as a rover, or do you pick the guy who might not be as good a footballer overall, but is much more suited to being a rover???

Gershwin
Club Player

From the “chatâ€

summertime and the living is easy ........
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

As far as journalism goes - and there is some tripe out there - this is first rate.

Congratulations Robbo, a fantastic piece and well done to the Herald Sun for giving it such a great run.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.