Your best 22 from here on in.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint Pup
Club Player

Your best 22 from here on in.

Blake Dawson Baker
Gwilt Fisher Gilbert
Stanley Hayes Dal Santo
Goddard Riewoldt Schneider
Milne Koschitzke Gamble
McEvoy Jones Montagna

Bench: Gram Cripps Armitage
Sub: Ray
Emergencies: Acher Steven Smith

Out: Dempster, Peake, Clarke, McQualter

GET UP AND ABOUT SAINTERS!
NoMore
Club Player

Interesting topic but i think u might find that ur back line although good at stopping goals won't set many up

Gilbert can't hit a target which means Gwilt and Fisher are the only ones who can play on and kick well

mine would be

FB: Baker Dawson Clarke
HB: Fisher Gwilt Gram
C: Ray Hayes Dalsanto
HF:Armitage Riewoldt Goddard
FF:Milne Kosi Schnieder
Ruck: McEnvoy Montagna Jones

Int: Cripps Gilbert Blake
Sub: Smith

1eyedNever
Club Player

Maybe

Blake Dawson Goddard
Gwilt Fisher A Smith
Gilbert Hayes Dal Santo
Ray Stanley Ledger
Steven Riewoldt Gamble

McEvoy Jones Montagna
Bench: Winmar Armitage Acher

Sub: Dempster

Need to change it up a bit

SKFC has now been confirmed as the AFLs BITCH
To the top
SS Life Member

Smith Dawson Gilbert
Clarke Fisher Gwilt
Gram Hayes Dal Santo
Goddard Riewoldt Lynch
Schnieder Koschitzke Steven
Gardiner Jones Montagna

Cripps Ray Armitage Stanley

Middo
Club Player

NoMore wrote:Interesting topic but i think u might find that ur back line although good at stopping goals won't set many up

Gilbert can't hit a target which means Gwilt and Fisher are the only ones who can play on and kick well

mine would be

Not sure Gram is ideal coming of half back hitting targets also..maybe a Cripps or Crocker type with pace and a booming kick.

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

See, most people put Kosi and Schneider in their team...yet for some reason we gloss over their absence last night....and it's all over red rover?

Strange supporters.

Why can't people realise that with that much entry, another tall and small will be hugely significant.

Plenty of people don't think Kosi is the answer, yet when Scarlett ran off him last year Kosi kicked 3 goals in a quarter. Scarlett didn't dare after that....

Wasn't Schneider highest in the comp for goal assists last year, he is hugely important.

I see no cause for alarm.

NoMore
Club Player

Middo wrote:
NoMore wrote:Interesting topic but i think u might find that ur back line although good at stopping goals won't set many up

mine would be

Not sure Gram is ideal coming of half back hitting targets also..maybe a Cripps or Crocker type with pace and a booming kick.
After thinking about last nights game i feel we have got as much as we can get out of jones as well and it might be time to go to a kid for his role and let the kid learn how to play in the middle. I have chosen Smith to play his role. In hind sight i am not sure that gilbert makes my team at this point. Maybe only as a sub.
I know what ur saying with gram and i did have the same thought but he played his best footy there and i think his pace off half back is something we miss. He will have goals kicked on him and he will turn the ball over but he takes risks and i like that. Thats why i like having him and clarke play back there. They should be encouraged to play on and take risks. It is amazing what happens when u take risks

My Updated Team is:
Ruck: McEnvoy Montagna Smith

Int: Cripps Steven Blake
Sub: Gilbert

noob
Club Player

FB: Gilbert Dawson Gwilt
HB: Clarke Fisher Goddard
C: Dal Santo Hayes Armitage
HF: Schneider Riewoldt Gram
F: Milne *Insert Gun Tall here* Steven
R: McEvoy Montagna Smith(tagger)
INT/S: Ray Cripps Dempster Stanley(sub)

NoMore
Club Player

noob wrote:FB: Gilbert Dawson Gwilt
HB: Clarke Fisher Goddard
C: Dal Santo Hayes Armitage
HF: Schneider Riewoldt Gram
F: Milne *Insert Gun Tall here* Steven
R: McEvoy Montagna Smith(tagger)
INT/S: Ray Cripps Dempster Stanley(sub)
I am happy for u to pick holes in my team
I think Armo is to slow to play as a wingman and struggles to find space
Gram cannot find the ball when he is in front of it and playing goddard forward allows him to play as a 5th midfielder

I think playing a tall sub is a waste. Personally i like the extra midfileder
Maybe my team with kosi in it could do without blake and u could play an extra mid but i think dempster is finished and baker is ahead of gilbert as far as a lock down back goes

noob
Club Player

Yeah I was struggling with the bench. Wingman these days aren't always classified on setups these days because of the zones and setups they end up being onballers. Milburn was their sub last night so I don't think it matters at this stage who your sub is.. well I can't work it out. I thought that gram and goddard can swap duties around throughout the game because goddard could kick a heap up forward but we lack thru the midfield. Guess we just need some other kid standing up in the midfield. Personally the team I put down all I did was try to have more of attackng team and remove the players that don't offer much going forward.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

B: Dempster, Dawson, Gwilt
HB: Clarke, Blake, Fisher
C: Montagna, Hayes, Ledger
HF: Schneider, Riewoldt, Armitage
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Gamble/Lynch/Stanley

Foll: McEvoy, Dal Santo, Goddard
Int: Ray, Gram, Gilbert, Steven

Smith to replace Gram or Ray if underperforming. Gamble should be given another few weeks to see how he can go actually playing as a third option rather than FF, but he hasn't shown much so far. Under absolutely no circumstances can we go into a game with McEvoy and Blake the only ruck options and Riewoldt the only tall forward.

Have left out Gardiner as his condition seems a bit of a mystery. But if he's fully fit then he takes McEvoy's spot with Kosi the backup ruck. McEvoy is on the way up and does some good things, but he's just too young to really have a presence in the ruck. Give him another couple of years and he'll be a very solid number one ruck, but at the moment he's still just giving away too much strength.

lefty
Club Player

Out: McQualter, Dempster, Baker, Peake
Ins: Stanley, Geary, Schneider, Kosi

If Ray doesn't start playing well, Ledger is in imo.
Especially next time we play Geelong, he MUST play on Woojinski

If Gamble doesn't perform after a few weeks, play Lynch or Stevens.

Entire team needs to work on kicking skills, which needs to be lead by Gwilt, especially Clint Jones for set shots. The issue I see with Roo, is that he is not dropping the point/tip of the ball down correctly onto his shoe. Needs the point to be drop down correctly.
Last edited by lefty on Sat 26 Mar 2011 12:40pm, edited 2 times in total.

saintDal
Club Player

mine would be

Really have to question whether you watched the game. Gilbert was one of our best kicks last night.
Last edited by saintDal on Sat 26 Mar 2011 12:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

SaintDal, his first two kicks went straight to opponents>

saintDal
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:SaintDal, his first two kicks went straight to opponents>
That may be so but from what I saw he regularly hit teammates on the chest and his kicking in general looked a lot better than last year.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

saintDal wrote:
Really have to question whether you watched the game. Gilbert was one of of best kicks last night.
This whole "Gilbert can't hit a target" thing is utter crap. His disposal is more often than not pinpoint, because his stabbing technique is very precise, but it's a high risk sort of technique, with a low margain for error, so he's clearly going to miss-kick a few, which he does. And it's those few that most seem to focus on. And go on and on and on about.
But when he hits them well, he hits his targets pretty much every time and they get there very quickly, as they go so low. He stabs the ball better, faster and more accurately than most and his long kicks are longer than most.
There's a big difference between being "unable to hit a target" and hitting them most of the time, but throwing in a couple of shockers along the way, which is what he does.
Everyone who keeps crying about it ought to get over it, because, since he only started kicking a footy in his mid/late teens, it's unlikely to improve that much from here. Would you seriously rather he wasn't in the team?
If not, how about just dealing with it and not whingeing about it all the time?

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
NoMore
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
saintDal wrote:
Really have to question whether you watched the game. Gilbert was one of of best kicks last night.
This whole "Gilbert can't hit a target" thing is utter crap. His disposal is more often than not pinpoint, because his stabbing technique is very precise, but it's a high risk sort of technique, with a low margain for error, so he's clearly going to miss-kick a few, which he does. And it's those few that most seem to focus on. And go on and on and on about.
But when he hits them well, he hits his targets pretty much every time and they get there very quickly, as they go so low. He stabs the ball better, faster and more accurately than most and his long kicks are longer than most.
There's a big difference between being "unable to hit a target" and hitting them most of the time, but throwing in a couple of shockers along the way, which is what he does.
Everyone who keeps crying about it ought to get over it, because, since he only started kicking a footy in his mid/late teens, it's unlikely to improve that much from here. Would you seriously rather he wasn't in the team?
It is a fair point you make. My point is that i think that currently he is battling with Gwilt, Clarke and Gram for a spot and i think the other 3 are in better form than him.

This is just my opinion. I would like to see him maybe played on wing instead of forward or back. He is a strong mark and long kick which in my opinion is the things that all great wingmen have in common

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

insert: Kosi , Shnids , Steven and Smith
remove : Mini , Gram, Dempster and Peake (although as a sub he wasnt that bad for the time he was on )

pressure should be put to Ray Gamble Armo and Baker that there are guys looking at their spots

im over Gram ... his heroics in the 09 G/F has run out .... helicopter kicks missed tackles and general softness for the contest is not acceptable.. at his best his long bomb kicks were great now they can end up anywhere usually to an opp. player ..... time for a spell in the VFL to work on hitting an actual target

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:
saintDal wrote:
It is a fair point you make. My point is that i think that currently he is battling with Gwilt, Clarke and Gram for a spot and i think the other 3 are in better form than him.
This is just my opinion. I would like to see him maybe played on wing instead of forward or back. He is a strong mark and long kick which in my opinion is the things that all great wingmen have in common
im sorry did you say Gram is in better form ?? i didnt see one Gram kick hit a target last night ... his kick long and hope game is becoming a problem .. Grams biggest and only asset to the team is his long kicks but they at the moment are becoming more miss then hit ... Gram is a loooooooong way off the pace at the moment

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

savatage
SS Life Member

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
NoMore wrote:
saintDal wrote:
im sorry did you say Gram is in better form ?? i didnt see one Gram kick hit a target last night ... his kick long and hope game is becoming a problem .. Grams biggest and only asset to the team is his long kicks but they at the moment are becoming more miss then hit ... Gram is a loooooooong way off the pace at the moment
Yep & his contested work is a joke. Kept pulling out of contests last night when he had to go.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
NoMore wrote:
saintDal wrote:
Yep & his contested work is a joke. Kept pulling out of contests last night when he had to go.
i will be suprised if ross doesnt pull him aside for that ... as we have read and seen knowing when its your time to go and actually going is a non negotionable its the foundation of Saints footy to get in and do what needs to be done ... Gram failed on that big time last night many times .. he got brushed aside by a bloke who was debuting for crying out loud ... Gram has gotta go back to the VFL and learn what is required ...

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt Dawson Fisher
Gilbert Blake Clarke
Cripps Hayes Gram
Steven Stanley Schneider
Milne Riewoldt Goddard

Mc Evoy Dal Santo Montagna

Inter Smith Ledger Koscitzke Ray

Out of the current line-up: McQualter, Jones, Dempster, Baker, Peake, Armitage (the only ones I'd consider for a return would be Dempster, Jones, and Baker

IN: Cripps, Ledger, Koschitzke, Schneider, Steven, Smith, Stanley

That's two genuine key forwards and back-up ruckman, a clever half foward, two qick midfielders with excellent footskills, a developing tagger, and a hard-arse half-forward/mid

saintbob
SS Life Member

Team for the next month

Ins: Archer, Smith, Steven, Ledger and Cripps

Outs: McQualter, Peake, Gram, Jones and Gamble

FB Baker Dawson Blake

HB Dempster Fisher Gwilt

C Clarke Hayes Montagna

HF Gilbert Riewoldt Ray

FF Steven Archer Armitage

R McEvoy Goddard Dal Santo

Int: Ledger Cripps Smith

Sub: Milne - would be a fantastic sub, as his X factor coming off the pine late in a game would definitely give us a bit of spark.

Emerg: Stanley, Jones and Gram

Later inclusions would be Kosi(Archer). Schnieder (Ledger or Smith)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

So lets get this straight. We want up to 6 or 7 changes after losing a game by a point and a GF by a point. Doesnt matter that these young guys cant even get in the best for Sandy or worse havent played because of injury but hey who cares, lets just put them in the side anyway.

saintbob
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:So lets get this straight. We want up to 6 or 7 changes after losing a game by a point and a GF by a point. Doesnt matter that these young guys cant even get in the best for Sandy or worse havent played because of injury but hey who cares, lets just put them in the side anyway.
You're so right Plugger, let's just be happy running second all the time.
Changes NEED to be made, even Collingwood made changes to their PREMIERSHIP side, so I think it's time we got rid of the dead wood we've carried for too long.

Plugger, tell me what other side in the comp besides GWS, that Mini and Peake would get a game with????

It's time to wake up and smell the roses, mate!!!