Ross Lyon's press conference - transcript

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Legendary
Club Player

Ross Lyon's press conference - transcript

Hard to speculate about our form
Expectation for the Saints is to compete
Like to think that discipline and committment come to the fore, we wilted and they didn't.
They kicked three goals in the first quarter from defensive stoppages - to put into context, we have 20 for the whole year last year.

I thought we looked dangerous in general play in the first quarter, inability to defend at all in the second quarter.
They kicked 8.2 from 12 entries. Nothing breaks the heart of a team more than an inability to clear the ball from a stoppage.
It was embarrassing really.

Ultimately it's a coaching issue. Myself have had things in place and basics done very well for a long time. Not doing that broke the spirit of the team.

We didn't have a F50 tackle to three quarter time.

Our over-handball has gone against where the game is at. It's now about using handball to create a kicker, rather than run into the next wave of defence.

Really disappointed for Nick, for our supporters.
Clearly something is going on - we introduced 5 new players tonight. We tried for some enthusiasm but it's still not kicking in.
We've been under pressure before.

This group has been to 5 Prelims and 2 GF's under me and it's a lot of Prelims ultimately falling short.

Maybe it is transition phase now. I could easily pick for honesty Jason Blake, Andrew McQualter, Robert Eddy. On the back of their honesty and discipline we have been able to manufacture a lot of wins over a long period. They have been so disciplined over a long period, people ask me why I pick those guys, they have helped create a combative team.
At the minute without Baker and Blake there are a few playing without
honesty and selflessness.

Maybe it's a full transition and rebuild. Maybe I've been in denial. Maybe we've climbed the mountain too many times and we need to regenerate.
Or alternatively we keep picking the disciplined players and try and shine with them again.
I've got to go away and contemplate and make that decision now.

We have 30 shots last week, we couldn't defend. We couldn't defend today. If you don't perform in the AFL, you become yesterday's heroes pretty quickly.

Confidence is built on action and preparation mental and physical. Those basic fabrics of team sport aren't there when they need to be.

Where the modern game is at is stopping it at centre forward and locking it in there up forward.
And yet tonight we have zero F50 tackles. None.

So what I'm saying is it's demanding and our hunger isn't there. At the moment if you want to get a kick and an uncontested mark, come and play against the Saints.

sainter#4
Club Player

strong words

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Wow. If nothing else than brutal self-effacing honesty from Ross. Makes me feel better.

I trust Ross Lyon.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news ... 1d9g9.html
"There's a few playing without honesty, discipline and selflessness," said Lyon.

" ... This group's been to five prelims, three under me, two grand finals under me.

"It's a lot of prelims, it's two grand finals ultimately short.

"Maybe it is a full transition. Maybe everyone's been right. Maybe I've been in denial.

"Maybe we've climbed the mountain too many times and we need to regenerate.

"Or alternatively keep picking honest players that are disciplined, selfless and try to shine again.

"I can't defend the indefensible. That was indefensible tonight.

"We're not playing anywhere near the brand of footy we've played the past two years.

"We're not doing what you need to be doing in the modern game.

"At the minute, if you want to get a kick and an uncontested mark, come and play against the Saints."

http://www.sportal.com.au/mediaplayer/a ... -are-10183

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

At the moment if you want to get a kick and an uncontested mark, come and play against the Saints.
That last line there should be posted on the wall at Training for the next two weeks.
That should cut deep enough to spark them up a bit.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Pwoit wrote:
At the moment if you want to get a kick and an uncontested mark, come and play against the Saints.
That last line there should be posted on the wall at Training for the next two weeks.
That should cut deep enough to spark them up a bit.
Agreed, sums it up.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

no doubt ross will be on the phone talking to paul roos

... and , imo , that wouldnt be a bad thing

lets think our way through this ross.

lets get our reserves side playing at morrabbin for starters ,
then playn the A and B squads i talked of the year before last
(which the filth will impliment next)
and start planning and playing tomorrows footy style today

just win me a flag (or two)
please

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
felixleo
Club Player

Re: Ross Lyon's press conference - transcript

[ We didn't have a F50 tackle to three quarter time.

Well maybe if we kicked to a one on one instead of two to three against one sometimes that might have been different.

Are you gonna be the one?
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Am I the only one who can't get the audio to run on that sportal link? I can get Hird's comments, but when I load the Lyon one, the player doesn't load.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

wow that's real line in the sand sorta stuff.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Am I the only one who can't get the audio to run on that sportal link? I can get Hird's comments, but when I load the Lyon one, the player doesn't load.
I can't either
but found Video above.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Richter
SS Life Member

Is also on www.afl.com.au click on picture of RL on the left hand side.

Shows that RL clearly sees what the choice is....

1/ Back to Blake, McQualter and Eddy to try to relive the glories of the last two years, but go one better....

or....

2/ The Brave New World, in which new young enthusiastic but inexperienced and at times undisciplined players are brought in.

--------

'The Challenge' is yours RL.

Be brave Ross, I implore you.....

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Is also on www.afl.com.au click on picture of RL on the left hand side.

1/ Back to Blake, McQualter and Eddy to try to relive the glories of the last two years, but go one better....

or....

2/ The Brave New World, in which new young enthusiastic but inexperienced and at times undisciplined players are brought in.

--------

The conservative part of me is saying, if that's the brave new world, give me Blake, McQualter and Eddy every day of the week.

But then I think, if we want to come fifth or sixth every year like Sydney, well maybe that's an idea. But if we want to win a flag sooner or later, well Ross has to be brave, and build up a great side by teaching talented footballers how to put in effort.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
jroberts:)
Club Player

best press conference yet :)

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

He looks like he's aged 5 years in 3 weeks

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Look what Collingwood did in 2010, did the play Fraser? Medhurst? No, they gave their young players a chance to play and shine.

We will not win with Dempster, Clarke (sorry Dad), Jones, Peake etc.

We need the bottom through youth, sounded like RL is keen to give Winmar a run.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Yeah hopefully Winmar is up for a roadtrip in two weeks

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
sainter#4
Club Player

from ross's interview it appears that;
- his keen on playing more kids. eg winmar, big will
- our game plan is still good enough its just the implementation of it from the players
-believes our defending has been pathetic and that our defence keeps "collapsing"
-also that we are just not winning any hard ball or getting forwards pressure and locking it into our 50
-thinks some players just arnt up to it anymore-bakes name was said around this part of the interview;could have been referring to him?
-at the end of the day will go away and assess whether we go for a total rebuild or we still have a shot at it.
-believes that also some players just arnt committed/focused on doing their part for the team as its a taxing game plan

Tom_Sainter
Club Player

terrific presser from Ross. If it were only as easy to blood all these young players.... the problem is that most of them are no bloody good. Sounds harsh but its not worth playing the kids just for the sake of some new energy and enthusiasm, as it didn't work tonight.
Ross is in a place where he either goes back to Bakes, Blake, McQualter, Dempster or puts a line through them and plays the kids.
With the exception of Stanley, i personally thought most of the additions to the team tonight did stuff all.
IMO (for what its worth) I would stay with the guys that got us to within a kick of 2 grand finals. Confidence is an amazing thing and at the moment it was pretty obvious we have bugger all of it tonight.
One week is a long time in footy.... Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater, I admit signs were not good tonight, but i still think this is mainly a mental issue from the scars of last year.
Keep the faith

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

He wasn't exactly honest saying he could have picked Blake, Eddy and McQualter, because he delisted Eddy.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintslegendLH
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:He wasn't exactly honest saying he could have picked Blake, Eddy and McQualter, because he delisted Eddy.
yeah but he mentioned he could have promoted eddy because of lenny and his long term injury

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Ross Lyon has a brilliant football mind. I hope he coaches us for the next 10 years.

One thing to keep in mind is that we came up against a team that will probably finish top 4 tonight.

Next game vs Brisbane. Even though I think we'd be better off in the short term to play the old hands, I reckon we stick with the youth for the Brisbane game, as brisbane are a bottom 4 side, and try to get the young guys in some winning teams, which will work out better for the long term.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Richter wrote:Is also on www.afl.com.au click on picture of RL on the left hand side.

or....

--------

That's not how the interview reads.

The choice is between McQualters, Blakes and Bakers or Grams, Dal Santos and Gilberts (my attribution, not Lyon's) because at least he knows he will get honest effort from the former.

Last night was not lost by our fringe players.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SaintWodonga wrote:Look what Collingwood did in 2010, did the play Fraser? Medhurst? No, they gave their young players a chance to play and shine.
there's a possibility that their young players were and are better than our young players.