Why did we not bring in Winmar/Raph as a late inclusion?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Why did we not bring in Winmar/Raph as a late inclusion?

When we saw the conditions CLEARLY wouldn't suit Rhys and Kosi both playing!

Someone dropped the ball on this one.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
jays
Club Player

you would think so

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Leigh Matthews said after the game that he'd walked across it before the game and it was ok.
BUT with the humidity the water was drawn up to the surface during the game and made the ground very wet.

Brisbane aso looked at the ground and elected to keep their 3 ruckmen, so that would seem to indicate that Matthews' observation was correct.

I'm not a groundsman so I have no idea if what he was saying makes any real sense or not?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Leigh Matthews said after the game that he'd walked across it before the game and it was ok.
BUT with the humidity the water was drawn up to the surface during the game and made the ground very wet.

Brisbane aso looked at the ground and elected to keep their 3 ruckmen, so that would seem to indicate that Matthews' observation was correct.

I'm not a groundsman so I have no idea if what he was saying makes any real sense or not?
Makes terrific sense.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Leigh Matthews said after the game that he'd walked across it before the game and it was ok.

And Brisbane even had a tall sub. Clarke wasnt up there I dont believe so he couldnt play. Winmar could have come in or maybe Kosi and Stanley could have played better.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why did ross say the opposite, saying when he walked on it before the game, it was clearly wet, from watering, like it had rained all day....and it was not from the humidity....it was wet underfoot he said...

Mini should have started.....blake came in to counter two big fwds.....

Milne played at full forward in the slippery conditions...

Stanley out......possibly kosi also..

Not good reading of the pitch conditions......batting on a green top

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why did ross say the opposite, saying when he walked on it before the game, it was clearly wet, from watering, like it had rained all day....and it was not from the humidity....it was wet underfoot he said...

You really should offfer your services to the Club.
Just email Westaway/Nettlefold - I'm sure they're just waiting for you to contact them.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why did ross say the opposite, saying when he walked on it before the game, it was clearly wet, from watering, like it had rained all day....and it was not from the humidity....it was wet underfoot he said...

Didn't he say that at the halftime interview in a question about the conditions?

if so a bit hard to go back in time one would have thought.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Didn't he say that at the halftime interview in a question about the conditions?

if so a bit hard to go back in time one would have thought.
Please no facts.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He said that he noticed it before the game, in his presser???

He was disappointed.....

Goosd to see voss ridiculing him, with....'its called dew'

Magic, maybe you should offer more than that comment, it is foolish and shows that you have little to counter with, therefore attempt to belittle.....sounds a lot like a sook...

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He said that he noticed it before the game, in his presser???

He was disappointed.....

Goosd to see voss ridiculing him, with....'its called dew'

Magic, maybe you should offer more than that comment, it is foolish and shows that you have little to counter with, therefore attempt to belittle.....sounds a lot like a sook...
Once again you misunderstand me BigMart.

I am seriously in awe of your knowledge.

It is so vast that you are capable of criticising anything and everything with full confidence that you are 100% correct.
I merely point out that, IMHO, you should offer your wisdom to the CLub for the benefit of the team.
Unfortunately your surly disposition sees any compliment to you as 'unwarranted' criticism of you.

That's a problem.
You'll need to curb that before you can take up your rightful role as head honcho at the Saints.

You are so good that you can pass 'informed' opinions on everything without even being privy to any of the conversations/discussions that take place before decisions are made.

Imagine how good you'd be if you were part of those conversations/discussions?

Take this point in case.
You weren't at the discussion at selection committee.
You weren't involved in discussions before, during and after training.
You weren't involved in any of the discussions that took place whilst on the way to Brisbane, at the hotel, on the way to the ground, in the rooms, on the ground prior to the game.

And yet you are still able to post an informed opinion on what transpired and why certain decisions were taken.

That's an amazing talent that if you were a true supporter of the Club you would offer to pass on to them.

Surely?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

ross lyon's presser
"It was like it had been raining, that’s disappointing to be honest. It certainly wasn’t just dew, when we arrived it was wet under foot. Maybe it’s an over-reaction to the hardness and to (Gary) Ablett."

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
PJ
SS Life Member

The ground had been watered heavily according to Ross. Leigh M said he thought it was the humidity then giggled when he was told what Ross had said - he knew but old allegances die hard.

The ground was clearly saturated but I don't know who ended up with the advantage - I think it did us good to have a hit out in those conditions. We are way too Etihad conditioned.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He said that he noticed it before the game, in his presser???
didn't see the presser
BigMart wrote:Goosd to see voss ridiculing him, with....'its called dew'
Why is it good that he was ridiculed? Considering the commentators including Leigh Matthews said it was like playing wet weather football, what was Voss trying to hide? That he got the groundsman to do what the Moorabin groundsmen used to do in the 70's and 80's?

I am suprised at you Mart that you think football people of the calabre of Ross lyon and Robert Harvey, to name just two, would not take the ground conditions into account prior to the game.

Also from what posters on here have said who were at the ground, the humidity made it even slipperier and wetter underfoot as the game wore on.

Anyway pleasing to see that our skills actually improved especially in the final quarter and the team ran the game out.

I think it was a mistake to go in with Kosi and Stanley though. I understand Kosi as he should be played exclusively in the ruck and resting up forward. Stanley needs to improve and he may be something in a season or two.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
PJ
SS Life Member

Stanley was taken off injured early in the 3rd - knee.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

They had their fair share of talls as well, but let's criticise Ross, he came away with the win afterall.

Well done Vossy, you handled dew better?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

desertsaint wrote:ross lyon's presser
"It was like it had been raining, that’s disappointing to be honest. It certainly wasn’t just dew, when we arrived it was wet under foot. Maybe it’s an over-reaction to the hardness and to (Gary) Ablett."
If we knew how wet it was underfoot and that dew was then likely as well, yet still played Kosi and Stanley, then that's our bad. That's amateur-hour stuff, surely.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
desertsaint wrote:ross lyon's presser
If we knew how wet it was underfoot and that dew was then likely as well, yet still played Kosi and Stanley, then that's our bad. That's amateur-hour stuff, surely.
But it didnt effect their talls at all. Maybe we are using that as an excuse for 2 very ordinary games.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:They had their fair share of talls as well, but let's criticise Ross, he came away with the win afterall.

Well done Vossy, you handled dew better?
The Cats didn't handle Dew too well in the 08 Grand Final  :wink:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I too am very surprised they did not make a late change......

Magic......you have all the opportunity in the world to challenge my views, you resort to cheapies, which suggest you are either unable to do so, or annoyed with the actual......i just make casual observations, they are from my view point......i obvipusly believe in what i say, or i wouldnt make the comment....my view can be changed with a challenging counter agument......if you know better, give the suggestion......

Do i believe i am right....odf course, i am not bi polar

Do i think other should always agree.....of course not

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I too am very surprised they did not make a late change......

Magic......you have all the opportunity in the world to challenge my views, you resort to cheapies, which suggest you are either unable to do so, or annoyed with the actual......i just make casual observations, they are from my view point......i obvipusly believe in what i say, or i wouldnt make the comment....my view can be changed with a challenging counter agument......if you know better, give the suggestion......

Do i believe i am right....odf course, i am not bi polar

Do i think other should always agree.....of course not
Mart,
Maybe it's just me (but maybe not)

Far too many of your 'analytical opinion pieces' seem to have 'carping criticism' dripping from every sentence.
They smack of a smug superiority complex and they tend to ignore any opinion other than your own. Even worse they tend to belittle any opinion that doesn't slavishly follow yours.

I could accept that if I thought/knew that you actually had some experience/expertise in these matters.
But given you don't I find them highly disrespectful to posters with a differing opinion.
I also find it strange that you feel the need to post your 'carping criticisms' in thread after thread.

I would suggest that it is my 'problem' on reading your posts but given that there seems to be a number of other posters who find your posts disconcerting in a similar manner then I reckon I might be on the right track.

Your opinions are your opinions. I may not agree with them or I may agree with them.
What I don't have to countenance is this posting manner of yours whereby you 'pretend' that you have some 'expertise' far greater than others about all things to do with AFL football.

AFAIK you're as 'dumb' as the rest of us in those areas.

As for the 2 assertions you make in your post.
Challenging your views and you being able to change your views.

I have never known you to change your view on anything once you've made your view known (except maybe that time you declared Heyne was no good and then reversed your position?)

And why would I be able to challenge your views. I know as much about the inner workings of AFL football as you - zero.
The only difference is that I dont pretend to have any more knowledge on it than zero.

Megsie
Club Player

WE WON!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Would u like my cv if that helps....really.....

Does it matter,

yes i am critical, i expect high standards from a league footy club...and want to support a successful club, therefore have been somewhat frustrated for 25 years....

To balance your post, you should also indicate that i very much support ross lyon, rate him as the best coach in the afl....and rate our team and many of its players highly....i have posted this countless times...can you deny that

However,

I dont come on here for a mutual wankfest.......i come here to hear other peoples take on the team performance and give mine.....

I think what openly irks 'some' posters is that i openly critisise our own....some see that as

I think you and p66 and a few of the other guys who crack it when i have a crack, with my 'condescending tone' of superiority....should check the flavour of their own posts.....

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Megsie wrote:WE WON!
Correct, but against rubbish opposition.

Had a good laugh at a few Brissie fans sitting near me who kept calling Leunberg a vegetable!!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Would u like my cv if that helps....really.....

Does it matter,

yes i am critical, i expect high standards from a league footy club...and want to support a successful club, therefore have been somewhat frustrated for 25 years....

To balance your post, you should also indicate that i very much support ross lyon, rate him as the best coach in the afl....and rate our team and many of its players highly....i have posted this countless times...can you deny that

However,

I dont come on here for a mutual wankfest.......i come here to hear other peoples take on the team performance and give mine.....

I think what openly irks 'some' posters is that i openly critisise our own....some see that as

I think you and p66 and a few of the other guys who crack it when i have a crack, with my 'condescending tone' of superiority....should check the flavour of their own posts.....
Why do you care what I think?
Because I often don't agree with how you reach your opinions?
I'm not questioning your opinions - just how you reach them and make categorical statements based on zilch.

You can delude yourself as much as you like as to yours and others motives, but like you, I am entitled to voice my opinions on here.
But unlike you I don't pretend my opinions on AFL football are based on any real experience/knowledge of what actually transpires.
I have no knowledge in that area and neither do you.

Let me repeat my criticism of many of your posts, so that you don't misunderstand what it is I'm saying, becasue from your response it is clear to me that you still don't get it:-
My opinion is that you overestimate your own opinion on here because you base your criticisms on little/zero knowledge. It is noit your criticisms, just the way you post them as if you know what you are talking about, when clearly you don't.

If on the other hand you based them on some first-hand knowledge then maybe your opinions/criticisms would be worth something other than the ill-informed ramblings of a frustrated wannabee.

But you know what, if you want to delude yourself into thinking you know what you're talking about, who am I (or anyone else for that matter) to burst your bubble.

Just don't be surprised when I (or other posters) decide to criticize your ill-informed ramblings from time to time.
You don't really expect everybody to just accept your views as gospel do you?

Surely not?