Changes for Hawthorn game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Changes for Hawthorn game

Well last night was a much improved effort on the rest of the season but there are still some glaring weaknesses. First, we're getting slaughtered in the ruck and center clearances, but the only possible change to improve that situation would be to bring Polo in, which may not happen until he's had a solid month or so at Sandy. Kosi is the beat ruckman we have other than Gardiner and will help immensely having him in there to help out McEvoy, who was suberb around the ground but just doesn't yet have the strength to make up for his lack of athleticism.

Another really worrying sign was how easily Carlton players would sidestep and accelerate away from St Kilda players. We were chasing them (usually unsuccessfully) around half back and the midfield all night. That just comes down to having a slow playing group, especially in the midfield. Smith is the only kid who could be included with pace who is ready, but I expect him to spend a while on the VFL working on his game.

Then there is the clanger crew. Four of Carlton's first eight goals came from mistakes by McQualter and Baker. Then as the game went on, Jones, Blake and Clarke got in on the action. These guys cost the team dearly; I'm not questioning their efforts, but they're not up to scratch. Clarke may still have the ability and just needs to find form, but Baker has become an outright liability with the footy, Blake is making some of his old brain fades, McQualter doesn't hurt the opposition and Jones just can't kick. If we're preparing for a crack at the top four next year, those guys should be in the team. On a positive note, Gilbert, Dempster and Gram all played quite well and used the ball effectively.

Cripps was decent before being subbed off and Siposs just looks like a footballer. He didn't get a lot of it, but when it came his way he had good hands, positioned himself well, kicked that brilliant goal and delivered a perfect pass to Mini in front of goal which he dropped and the turnover resulted in a Carlton goal. Kosi really helped straighten up the forward line and gave Roo space to roam further up the ground. Not having Dawson was definitely a plus for this week, but he'll be back to play on Roughead for Sunday. The selection of a sub will be interesting. If we just want to get experience into kids we could pick Smith or Winmar, but if we want to win then Peake is the best option; he's not much of a player but he's got a good attitude and his run does help get the side moving late in the third quarter.

If Ross wants a flag in 2012-13
Out: Baker, McQualter, Blake, Clarke
In: Lynch, Smith, Simpkin, Dawson

If Ross wants a crack at the 8 in 2011
Out: Cripps, Blake
In: Peake, Dawson

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

No, not Peake. Let him have a crack at winning the Sandy B&F instead.

Keep playing Cripps. He's a good young player and will only get better with experience.

Anyway, I really think we have a good chance at beating the living poos and wees outta Whorethorn :twisted:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

There is a very selective obsession with so-called clangers on this forum.

If a defender is under extreme pressure or turns a ball over or fumbles, posters on here tend to foam at the mouth, blame him for the loss and demand his head on a platter.

But you have to ask why these defenders keep getting put under pressure?

I don't like the SS culture of blame, but i'll point out easily our 3 weakest links last night FWIW.

1. CJ. He was beaten to the ball at just about every contest. Opponents ran around him with ease. Not his fault, he was being played out of position as an in- and-under mid, which he is noyt. In the last quarter he was moved further back and played well.

2. McEvoy. Couldn't ruck his way out of a brown paper bag. Blake is ten times more effective than him.

3. Riewoldt. Destroyed by his opponent and couldn't kick a goal to save his life ATM. Played better when given a different role before the end.

If people want to blame someone, blame these blokes, not poor old defenders who make mistakes under pressure: something that happens to every side every game, especially those who are destroyed in clearances.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
LondonSaint
Club Player

Out - Incompetence/Tired

Blake - old warrior.. can't dispose of the ball to save himself..
Raph - it's not his fault Ross pick this dud to play every week
Mini - he's a forward that can't mark/tackle/kick goals.. hmmm.
Jones - can get the ball, but can't kick.. i thought the game was way past the jason daniel type..

In - Hope/Enthusiasm

Simpkin - good young defender with dash
Lynch - another sam fisher type..
Gamble - replace mini as a forward..
Smith - midfield pace

not much left in the twos i'm afraid..

What we need in the next draft

3 ball winning midfielders - we got 1 in armitage.. GCS please don't steal him.
2 quick forward pockets - e.g. garlett, betts, milney is what 30+?
2 small/medium half back runners - e.g. mcleod, johncock, we have none atm
2 ruckmen - maybe from VFL/SAFL?

Geez... we need a mini-rebuild.. most importantly, teach them to kick, to teammates and at goal... we are among the worst skilled sides in the comp..

dragit
Saintsational Legend

OUT: McQualter, Clarke,

IN: Ray, Dawson

We'll need as many tall defenders as possible with Buddy, Roughhead and now Renouf kicking goals + Hale?

Steven is teetering IMO, maybe he could have a rest for Lynch this week…

I get frustrated as hell at Jones's kicking, but after half time last night he at least went forward and kicked as long as he could, much better than handballing backwards or chipping it into the middle. Can't fault his endeavor, he could run with Rioli or Burgoyne…

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Some utter nonsense on this thread but will not dwell on that.

Baker or dempster will need to go. Can only afford one pure sut down small defender in todays game. IMO right now baker is the one to go. Needs to focus on helping develop a couple of small backs at Sandy (smith, androlli?). Lynch comes in and plays the role gilbo and jimmy used to play. The medium tall creative player who can play tall or short. Lynch is in the best form of his career and needs to be given a go.

Blake has been a great servantand will give us some senior depth to bring through the newbacks. Zac comes back in but is on notice, perform or lose your spot to walsh or simpkin.

Ray to come in for cripps if cripps in injured or raph. Can't believe raph was the sub, of all players he is the last I would use as the sub as he needs to build into a game. Strange.

My changes

In: Zac, lynch, ray

out: blake, baker and cripps/clarke/mini

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Leave Steven in the side all year, no matter what (barring injury)

Nee!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Lynch is playing good enough to come in, Ray was one of our best in his last game. Not so sure about Dawson.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Lynch is playing good enough to come in, Ray was one of our best in his last game. Not so sure about Dawson.
Think Dawson has to take Buddy.

If not him, who?

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Solar wrote:Some utter nonsense on this thread but will not dwell on that.

Baker or dempster will need to go. Can only afford one pure sut down small defender in todays game. IMO right now baker is the one to go. Needs to focus on helping develop a couple of small backs at Sandy (smith, androlli?). Lynch comes in and plays the role gilbo and jimmy used to play. The medium tall creative player who can play tall or short. Lynch is in the best form of his career and needs to be given a go.

Blake has been a great servantand will give us some senior depth to bring through the newbacks. Zac comes back in but is on notice, perform or lose your spot to walsh or simpkin.

Ray to come in for cripps if cripps in injured or raph. Can't believe raph was the sub, of all players he is the last I would use as the sub as he needs to build into a game. Strange.

My changes

In: Zac, lynch, ray

out: blake, baker and cripps/clarke/mini
Agreed. Clarke to go from those three. One possession (from a reversed free kick) in 40 minutes of game time is not good enough.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

There is always an emotional issue involved when considering easing long term servants, and fan favorites, out of the senior team. This is always worse when it looks like a flag might finally come our way and these great blokes might miss out (eg Max)

With a flag in 2011 looking less and less likely, it may make it easier to say goodbye to the likes of Blake and Baker and usher in the new era.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dawson will be in for Buddy, he plays well on him. Buddy is in form, but the trick appears to be ensure he has some company as he cannot contest a pack mark.

I think we may see Lynch come in for Blake, Jason was the first out of the team last time. He seemed to appear again while we had some instability in the ruck situation. That appears to have been addressed, and I think we may see his omission again.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Polo in for Bakes, not sure Hawthorn have a matchup for him given both their small forwards are no longer. Polo will also be able to help with the clearance situation, but can really play elsewhere when required.

Not sure Farren will be well enough to be honest, Cripps also copped a sore knee, not sure how he will come up.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Actually thought the Blake was good last night.
Dawson for Clarke, Ray for Mini or Baker.
Lynch for Dempster.
Jack is the sub for next week.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Actually thought the Blake was good last night.
Dawson for Clarke, Ray for Mini or Baker.
Lynch for Dempster.
Jack is the sub for next week.
If you watch the replay, his decision making was quite poor, especially late. But for mine it's nothing personal, I actually think he is first on the chopping block, he was last time.

Dempster on Murphy after half time was one of the reasons we got back in the game, I can't see him being dropped after putting out yet another spotfire for us.

Jack as the sub sounds like a good option, he did appear tired over the 4 quarters didn't he.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Out: Clarke McQualter Blake

In: Lynch Ray (or Smith if Ray still unwell) Dawson

I would tell Simpkin that his time is nigh, you are a necessary component, you have something we need. Go out there and kill it. You've got a fortnight to make us pick you.

I would tell Sipposs that I liked what I saw, love how you backed yourself, but if you skirt at the foot of packs at the fall of the ball forward of the contest more than twice a game you'll be in the Sandy Reserves until you learn how NOT to squib it for a cheap kick.

I'd be telling Cripps you're going okay, but play like a maniac, not like timid schoolkid. Smash into someone. Get your head over it. Cop a whack. You can do it, and you'll come out the other side better for it.

And I'd be giving Gilbo those angry pills again, that's for sure and certain. They worked.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
stinger
Saintsational Legend

cripps has an ankle injury....ray and dawson have to come in...drop cripps, raph and maybe blake..

i'm not a dempster fan..but he is doing okay.....that last goal of grams came from a sipo tackle.....the boy won me on that alone...the goal was a bonus, as we all knew he could kick....
Last edited by stinger on Tue 10 May 2011 11:53am, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Roo to play on the ball and BJ to go on a fishing trip.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:
borderbarry wrote:Lynch is playing good enough to come in, Ray was one of our best in his last game. Not so sure about Dawson.
Think Dawson has to take Buddy.

If not him, who?
Gilbert on buddy?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Roo to play on the ball and BJ to go on a fishing trip.
yep!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
defacto
Club Player

i would like to see the following. finals this year or not. depending on injury/suspension.

OUT: Blake, Baker, McQualter
IN: Dawson, Polo, Ray

B Dempster, Dawson, Gwilt
HB Clarke, Fisher, Gram
C Goddard, Montagna, Gilbert
HF Ray, Rewioldt, Scheinder
F Siposs, Kozi, Milne
R McEvoy, Armitage, Dal Santo

I/C Jones Polo Steven
SUB Cripps

EMG Smith, Peake, Gamble

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:i would like to see the following. finals this year or not. depending on injury/suspension.

HB Clarke, Fisher, Gram
F Siposs, Kozi, Milne

I/C Jones Polo Steven
SUB Cripps

EMG Smith, Peake, Gamble
That don't look too bad at all :)

dragit
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:i would like to see the following. finals this year or not. depending on injury/suspension.

HB Clarke, Fisher, Gram
F Siposs, Kozi, Milne

I/C Jones Polo Steven
SUB Cripps

EMG Smith, Peake, Gamble
maybe swap Lynch for clanger-clarke

defacto
Club Player

dragit wrote:
maybe swap Lynch for clanger-clarke
i think you're right. we need to try out lynch, winmar, simpkin to see what they offer. lynch has been on our list for ages now and hasnt had the opportunity.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

In: Dawson, Polo
Out: Blake, Mini

Sainter for life.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Baker is a worry in the backline, but I reckon he could do a job in the centre. Raph is not up to pressure situations. Zac back, Raph out, Stanley for Blake (just get youth in there), Polo for McQ.