Riewoldts Performances

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Broodruff
Club Player

Riewoldts Performances

Hey guys;

I haven't had the chance to watch anywhere near as many games as I would have liked this year - but in the few that I have seen, I've noticed something that I reakon is quite disturbing...

Riewoldt has the turning cirlcle of a truck.

Now, before I get started - Yes, he's tall and therefor he wont have the same agility of some of the smaller players like Milne and Schnider.

But seriously... I've seen so many times Roo get caught out, or not able to lay a tackle simply because he has no agility what-so-ever. Straight line speed and absoloute gut running he has in spades, no doubt there - but to me it seems he doesnt have the slightest bit of agility.

If any of you are fans of the basketball, a lot of the "small" guys, the point guards, are about the same height as Roo. For example take Jason Kidd, who is a little bit shorter than Roo, but weighs about the same:

Or Derrick Rose who is about the same height, but a bit lighter.

Yes, these guys are a bit lighter or shorter, but look at the agility they have, wouldn't it be nice to have Riewoldt running around the field with agility even at 50% at Kidd or Rose's level.

Hell - look at LeBron James, yes - an absoloute athletic freak, is over 2 metres tall and cracks the scales at over 100kg, so taller and heavier than Roo, but look at his agility...

On the flip side of that, it scares me a little bit the absoloute lack of agility that Roo has, I constantly see him try to turn quickly and wonder how many times he's going to do it before his knee gives out...

Just something I've noticed. Thoughts?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

In fairness he's probably always been good straight line, on lead, arms out stretched and marking. Ive never thought of Roo as particulalry agile but his ball handling/half volley pickups are superb (this amazes me quite often tbh cause with our sides foot skill plodders he gets some shyte delivery..................a lot).

“Yeah….nah””
eppo67
Club Player

Le Bron James would cover about 95% less distance than Roo in a game of his overpaid American crap. James would be hooked up to an oxygen mask after 10 mins of an AFL game and don't talk about the complete lack of body contact in that NBL lame game.

Broodruff
Club Player

Hey, I'm not sitting here saying NBA and AFL are at all similar.

Yes, Roo would cover more distance than NBA players in a game
Yes, Roo would cop heavier hits than NBA players during a game

Roo is a freak in his own right, but for someone who is so athletically gifted, I would honestly have thought he'd have a touch more agility than he does, the lack of it is almost frightful

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Broodruff wrote:Hey, I'm not sitting here saying NBA and AFL are at all similar.

Yes, Roo would cover more distance than NBA players in a game
Yes, Roo would cop heavier hits than NBA players during a game

Roo is a freak in his own right, but for someone who is so athletically gifted, I would honestly have thought he'd have a touch more agility than he does, the lack of it is almost frightful
As I said .....I dont reckon Riewoldt has even been known as an agile player????...maybe J Riewoldt who is.....but not Nick who is a CHF.

I'd say Roo has similar levels of agility to Carey, Breretons etc.....theyre bigger marking targets...not midgets at ground level.

Now if only we could him to "up" his contested grabs...........thats a topic...

“Yeah….nah””