Collingwood's Draw

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Skildir
Club Player

Collingwood's Draw

This was sent to me recently. A couple of weeks old but you get the idea.

Collingwood's Draw

Look at how the AFL have gone out of their way to ensure that Collingwood have a dream run so that they finish top four. Eddie McGuire claimed the Brisbane Lions got salary cap concessions to win their premierships, however in the history of the VFL / AFL has any side has had a draw like Collingwood.

Read the following and pass it onto your friends. It makes you lose faith in the way the AFL is heading when you realise the special treatment that Collingwood receive.

Question: Including this Queens Birthday Monday, of the last 22 games played by Collingwood (including four finals matches) how many games have they played at the MCG.

Answer: They have played 19 of their last 22 games at the MCG, the other 3 were played at Etihad Stadium. They have also had 1 Bye.

Question: When was the last time Collingwood played a match interstate.

Answer: It was the 9th July 2010, eleven months ago. In round 15 of 2010 they played Port Adelaide in Adelaide. Their next interstate match is against Sydney in Round 14 on the 25 June 2011, which is 352 days after the last interstate match they played.

Question: Including this Queen's Birthday Monday, of the last 18 Home and Away matches played by Collingwood (the other 4 were finals), how many times has their opponent come off an interstate match the week before?

Answer: Incredibly in 11 of Collingwood’s last 18 Home and Away games the side they have played had an interstate match the week before. On top of this, in Round 1 of 2011 they played Port Adelaide at Etihad Stadium, who had to travel from Adelaide. So in 67% of their last 18 Home and Away games, their opponent had to travel the week before or had to travel that week.

Round Collingwood’s Where the Opponent
Opponent played the week before

16 in 2010 St Kilda Brisbane
17 in 2010 Richmond MCG
18 in 2010 Carlton Perth
19 in 2010 Geelong Sydney
20 in 2010 Essendon MCG
21 in 2010 Adelaide Crows Brisbane
22 in 2010 Hawthorn Launceston
1 in 2011 Port Adelaide Had to travel from Adelaide
2 in 2011 North Melbourne Perth
3 in 2011 Carlton Brisbane
4 in 2011 Richmond MCG
5 in 2011 Essendon MCG
6 in 2011 Western Bulldogs Perth
7 in 2011 Had the Bye
8 in 2011 Geelong Skilled Stadium
9 in 2011 Adelaide Adelaide
10 in 2011 West Coast Eagles Perth
11 in 2011 St Kilda Perth
12 in 2011 Melbourne MCG

Question: Who do Collingwood play in round 13 of 2011, the week before their first interstate match in nearly 12 months. (This match will be played at ANZ Stadium in Sydney, where Collingwood have a very good record)

Answer: They have the Bye, while Sydney their opponent for Round 14 have to travel to Melbourne to play Carlton on a Sunday before fronting up against Collingwood the following Saturday.

Question: Since Round 16 of 2010, up to Round to 13 of 2011, how many times has your club had to play a game interstate.

Answer Melbourne Based Club Games Played Interstate

Collingwood None
Carlton Five
Essendon Three
Geelong Five
Hawthorn Nine (Four in Launceston)
Melbourne Five
North Melbourne Five
Richmond Three
St Kilda Four
Western Bulldogs Six

Imagine if your club got the dream run that Collingwood receive. You would expect to make the finals, finish top four and have a decent shot at winning the premiership.

So are Collingwood that good or have the AFL created the situation where they practically hand them over the premiership.
Last edited by Skildir on Sat 17 Jun 2017 3:03am, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Collingwood's Draw

Skildir wrote:They have played 19 of their last 22 games at the MCG, the other 3 were played at Etihad Stadium. They have also had 1 Bye.
An outrageous stat. So much for a level playing field.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

f***......pretty obvious that you are right...... :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Yep but they have 4 away in the second half of the season. That may not help them. I dont think it matters where you play if you are a great side and unfortunately they are.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

Bit of a joke really.

A sad sad joke.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:Yep but they have 4 away in the second half of the season. That may not help them. I dont think it matters where you play if you are a great side and unfortunately they are.
+1

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Not suprising.

The competition is a joke, been saying this for while.

While EPL is uneven due to having no salary cap, the AFL is extremely uneven due to fixturing, and outside salary cap payments.

So while everyone in the AFL has the same opportunity to pay players within the salary cap, the lopsided fixturing is giving certain clubs a massive financial advantage.

An advantage that they can use with facilities and outside salary cap payments.

Examples being Chris Judd going to Carlton. And Judas Ball going to the Filth. Their match payments not being the only carrot available.

Its not abou tfairness or equality within the AFL, its about the bottom line.

Sad really.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:Not suprising.

While EPL is uneven due to having no salary cap, the AFL is extremely uneven due to fixturing, and outside salary cap payments.

So while everyone in the AFL has the same opportunity to pay players within the salary cap, the lopsided fixturing is giving certain clubs a massive financial advantage.

Examples being Chris Judd going to Carlton. And Judas Ball going to the Filth. Their match payments not being the only carrot available.

Sad really.
What extra does Luke Ball get?

saint_winston
Club Player

who gives a sh!t? i am sick to death of this bloody obsession with them. we all know it's no longer a draw but a fixture to maximise revenue and ratings. so what if they haven't travelled yet? i guess that must mean that they now have to travel 4 or 5 times in the last 10 rounds which can only disadvantage them for sept surely? if that's the case then i quite like their draw as something out of the ordinary is going to have to affect them to stop the pricks going back to back

and i am pretty sure they had a tough draw last year from memory? we definitely played them twice during h&a and so did the cats and i am pretty sure so did the dogs and hawks (altho i could be wrong on these 2 just working off the top of my head). and they still finished on top

so please let's just move on

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I dont think it matters where you play if you are a great side.
Bollocks it doesn't. Ever heard of a home ground advantage or do you deny the existance of such a phenomenom?

Leo.J
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

Sad really.
For a guy who has been at the club all of 2 years he does an awful lot of media...

Do you still belive the world is flat plugger?

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Shame they have a very good playing list with a very good game plan.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Leo.J
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:Yep but they have 4 away in the second half of the season. That may not help them. I dont think it matters where you play if you are a great side and unfortunately they are.
It helps being a great side.

However what do people say? 'It's the 1%ers', and 'it's a game of inches'.

I think it matters, otherwise you wouldn't of heard Malthouse complain about it in the past.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Shame they have a very good playing list with a very good game plan.
I don't think anyone's denying that.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Shame they have a very good playing list with a very good game plan.

I never said anyone did

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I never said anyone did
So what was your point?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
We Drew with them in a Grand Final.

Drew. Scores tied. Dead level.

I wonder, just wonder if had the fixturing been even remotely fair and even, could that have given us a 1 point advantage over Collingwood?

Infact, I don't wonder about it. I know the answer.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Had the ball bounced the other way late September 2010, would we be thinking that... or would they be chokers?

All hypothetical I know... but thats how little it can come down to sometimes.

An advantage is still an advantage in an apparently even competition

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Bollocks it doesn't. Ever heard of a home ground advantage or do you deny the existance of such a phenomenom?
How many games have we won this year and where were they played? Travelling is the most overated thing for good sides but playing other good sides isnt.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Sad really.
For a guy who has been at the club all of 2 years he does an awful lot of media...

Do you still belive the world is flat plugger?

Where is this awful lot of media you talk about. Been on the footy show about as much as BJ. Where are his other paid gigs?

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I never said anyone did
So what was your point?
I was just stating a fact, Am i allowed to?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
How many games have we won this year and where were they played? Travelling is the most overated thing for good sides but playing other good sides isnt.
This year we've won two out of eight away (25 per cent).

At home we've won two out of four (50 per cent).

Are those the stats you were after?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

"

Our home is Melbourne. We have won 2 out of 3 away at 66% and 2 out of 9 home which is 22.5% unless of course the MCC is not our home ground but we whinge when the pies have an advantage of playing there to much. Anyway we were talking interstate and it seems it has not effected us this year. Maybe we should move and then complain about coming to Melbourne.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

"

Our home is Melbourne. We have won 2 out of 3 away at 66% and 2 out of 9 home which is 22.5% unless of course the MCC is not our home ground but we whinge when the pies have an advantage of playing there to much. Anyway we were talking interstate and it seems it has not effected us this year. Maybe we should move and then complain about coming to Melbourne.

Stop trying to twist it, mate. Our home ground is Etihad.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

"

Stop trying to twist it, mate. Our home ground is Etihad.
But this about the pies travelling so you are the one twisting it by bringing up your stats. My question was simple, how many games have we won and where were they played. I will say it again and it is proven with stats, travelling is overated for good sides but playing other good sides isnt.