Should Saints take part in GWS 4 17yr olds trade?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Should Saints take part in GWS 4 17yr olds trade?

Should Saints take part in GWS 4 -17yr olds trade? Get in 2011 someone who will be considered one of the best for the 2012 draft? Those in contention to be put up by GWS include Jaeger O'Meara, Hayden Yarran, Dayle Gartlett, all from WA, Ben Kennedy, Emmanuel Irra and Brodie Grundy from SA, Nick Vlastuin and Brad Crouch from Vic. All are or can play Mid, except Grundy who is a ruckman and is 200cm already. Great opportunity to get a probablre first round pick, if not top 10. for 2012 that is.
GWS have two years to get the four trades. In other words if they put up 3 kids this year, next year thay can put up another one born Jan to April 1995.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I wouldn't want them to do it for the hell of it. If there is a player available who we have noticed and really want, then sure.

Chances are, we'll lose one to them anyway (because we held off GC), so I'm sure the club will get the best deal available. If the recruiters and RL think we can get more value from a 17 year old rather than a draft pick this year, so be it.

I've got no doubt, given the comment from last years draft, that we'll go for midfielders again, given the expectation that all of the key position prospects will be taken by the new clubs.

We have done alright out of our last 17-year-old pick (Jack Steven) who was drafted in his first year in the TAC Cup.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

We shouldn't rule any option out. Speak to anyone about all possibilities and take up any that are judged in our favour.

Take some chances.... he who hesitates is lost.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Grantaire
Opposition Fan

I would suggest yes. To get it done, though, you'll need to give up some serious currency, and chances are it's an admission that you're not within three years (minimum) of a flag. I'd argue that that's the case, so go for it- if there's someone willing to go of sufficient ability.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

We haven't done well out of 17 year olds lately.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:We haven't done well out of 17 year olds lately.
:wink: :lol:

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

How old was Harvs when he started? 16 or 17?

Stanley and Siposs are the only 17 yr olds we have recruited recently, and they were both 18 by the tiem the season started. You are not allowed to draft younger 17 yr olds any more, that is why this is such a good opportunity.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Grantaire wrote:I would suggest yes. To get it done, though, you'll need to give up some serious currency, and chances are it's an admission that you're not within three years (minimum) of a flag. I'd argue that that's the case, so go for it- if there's someone willing to go of sufficient ability.
+1. This of course is how Essendon got their hands on Matthew Lloyd (gave someone to Freo, when they first came into the comp). If there is anyone of that sort of potential and quality available and we don't think we're going to win a flag in the next two years then I hope we go for it.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Grantaire wrote:I would suggest yes. To get it done, though, you'll need to give up some serious currency, and chances are it's an admission that you're not within three years (minimum) of a flag. I'd argue that that's the case, so go for it- if there's someone willing to go of sufficient ability.
+1. This of course is how Essendon got their hands on Matthew Lloyd (gave someone to Freo, when they first came into the comp). If there is anyone of that sort of potential and quality available and we don't think we're going to win a flag in the next two years then I hope we go for it.
Essendon got Matthew Lloyd by giving up Todd Ridley to Freo.

Ridley had played 25 games for the Bombers. He went on to play another 21 games with the Dockers before finishing up at Hawthorn where he added another 2 games.

Total games played 48.

So who exactly are you guys suggesting we give up?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps dual GF players, Andrew McQualter, or if he doesnt improve Jason Gram. Grand Final player Robert Eddy. Come on, there are a few we can spare.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Perhaps dual GF players, Andrew McQualter, or if he doesnt improve Jason Gram. Grand Final player Robert Eddy. Come on, there are a few we can spare.
We have tended to get screwed in this area in the past.

We lose McAdam to Brisbane and basically get stuff all.

Bombers lose Ridley to Freo and get Lloyd!

:roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Perhaps dual GF players, Andrew McQualter, or if he doesnt improve Jason Gram. Grand Final player Robert Eddy. Come on, there are a few we can spare.
That is quite funny.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

That is funny and sad at the same time.

Dual grand final player andrew mcqualter... :) :cry:

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

There has to be reasons we didn't win...there are some right there

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would say our bottom six has certainly improved this season. It is the rest that have let us down.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

There was a story on Malcolm Lynch who was at the dogs a few years ago and now I think is playing at Port Melbourne. It talked him up as a liston trophy hopeful and suggested, quick, skilful, goal kicker who could have a run on the ball with more improvement to come. has any on e seen him play?

Grantaire
Opposition Fan

Dr Spaceman wrote:
AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Essendon got Matthew Lloyd by giving up Todd Ridley to Freo.

Ridley had played 25 games for the Bombers. He went on to play another 21 games with the Dockers before finishing up at Hawthorn where he added another 2 games.

Total games played 48.

So who exactly are you guys suggesting we give up?
Unfortunately for you lot- and everyone else, actually- GWS looks like a much better run organisation than Freo. Remember Andrew "Bad attitude, don't want him" McLeod?

There'll be no Ridley deals.

doggerel
Club Player

Someone called into KB & Greg Denham just now saying they had it on good authority that the big GWS signing rumoured of late is Goddard for Jaeger O'Meara + pick 5...

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

doggerel wrote:Someone called into KB & Greg Denham just now saying they had it on good authority that the big GWS signing rumoured of late is Goddard for Jaeger O'Meara + pick 5...
Sorry bj, love you to death and you and Lenny almost singlehandedly got us that elusive second flag, but if thats the case, see you mate and good luck with your career.

I would seriously be pretty happy with that deal. Big risk but younever know we may pick up another X Clarke with #5 :wink: (no offence X, your career was cruelled by injury).

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
StNoodles
Club Player

ralphsmith wrote:
That is funny and sad at the same time.

Dual grand final player andrew mcqualter... :) :cry:
Not as funny as (dual) Premiership Captain Nick Maxwell. :evil:

Bardon Saint
Club Player

doggerel wrote:Someone called into KB & Greg Denham just now saying they had it on good authority that the big GWS signing rumoured of late is Goddard for Jaeger O'Meara + pick 5...
Yeah I heard that one too. To clarify though as I was a little distracted when I heard, BJ has a contract until the end of next year. Was this when the deal would be done, I'm a little confused. - Edit: I've just read that he is 17. 15 possies and 4 goals in his WAFL debut too.

If so, Saints are signalling a final tilt at 2012 with Hayes, Goddard, Roo, Dal era and are planning for the future.

PS. Yes I do realise that this is just a SEN rumour and it probably means nothing but am just considering it.

StNoodles
Club Player

Bardon Saint wrote:
Yeah I heard that one too. To clarify though as I was a little distracted when I heard, BJ has a contract until the end of next year. Was this when the deal would be done, I'm a little confused. - Edit: I've just read that he is 17. 15 possies and 4 goals in his WAFL debut too.

If so, Saints are signalling a tilt at 2012 with Hayes, Goddard, Roo era and are planning for the future.

PS. Yes I do realise that this is just a SEN rumour and it probably means nothing but am just considering it.
Geez, I love BJ, but to get two young guns for him (after one last crack at it next year) would bode well for our future.

doggerel
Club Player

Bardon Saint wrote:

If so, Saints are signalling a final tilt at 2012 with Hayes, Goddard, Roo, Dal era and are planning for the future.

No - the deal would be done this coming trade period and Goddard would be with GWS 2012. O'Meara is meant to be the best kid in the country by a mile. I'd echo Joffaboy - love BJ, but for this deal I'd probably let go. But, yeah, it is probably bollocks anyway so not worthy of too much consideration at this point.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Do you seriously think BJ has given up on the chance of a flag? If he goes to GWS it will be years before they seriously challange for a premiership.

BJ has about 5 years left. I doubt they can get that serious in that time frame.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

doggerel wrote:
Bardon Saint wrote:

No - the deal would be done this coming trade period and Goddard would be with GWS 2012. O'Meara is meant to be the best kid in the country by a mile. I'd echo Joffaboy - love BJ, but for this deal I'd probably let go. But, yeah, it is probably bollocks anyway so not worthy of too much consideration at this point.
Pre-list Fev and trade him to us and the deal is done....

Seriously, so we'll lose BJ, Rooey and Hayes over the next 2-3 years? I don't care how good this kid is, that is dire and while we are at it, we may as well get the first few draft picks for years to come as we'll be cellar dwellers again...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!