Why we were outnumbered (4 to 1) in the GFs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Why we were outnumbered (4 to 1) in the GFs

...in the AFL area anyway. Here are the current AFL Club Support memberships:

CLUB FULL MEMBERS SILVER MEMBERS TOTAL
Adelaide Crows 247 185 432

Brisbane Lions 360 214 574

Carlton 3692 3138 6830

Collingwood 6491 5834 12325

Essendon 4022 2485 6507

Fremantle 27 110 137

Geelong Cats 2362 1760 4122

Gold Coast Suns 24 38 62

Hawthorn 1578 1739 3317

Melbourne 1104 602 1706

North Melbourne 1056 807 1863

Port Adelaide 60 96 156

Richmond 2393 1870 4263

St Kilda 1683 1275 2958

Sydney Swans 411 355 766

West Coast Eagles 70 175 245

Western Bulldogs 875 839 1714

Full members of the competing clubs get first access to the GF, unless not enough want to attend or are available to attend e.g. WC v Swans GF, in which case, non competing club full members get access.
Last edited by perfectionist on Wed 20 Jul 2011 11:18pm, edited 2 times in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I tried calling those 4 clubs for their figures but just got wrong number. Do you have any other number I could try?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Competiting club full members get tickets on the Sunday

Other full members get tickets on the Monday.

The rest ie syd v wce being silver members get a crack on Tuesday. Competing silvers get morning, others afternoon.

When two interstate teams have been in, access has flowed to silvers. Since tickets have scarcely made it to full members on Monday.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Competiting club full members get tickets on the Sunday

The rest ie syd v wce being silver members get a crack on Tuesday. Competing silvers get morning, others afternoon.

When two interstate teams have been in, access has flowed to silvers. Since tickets have scarcely made it to full members on Monday.
Really? Me or stacks of my mates haven't missed a GF in ages. The last two I was guaranteed, but my mates who follow other teams all got tix no worries. Just gotta be prepared to put in the hard yards and line up. I took a day off work last year and lined up for 12 hours. Plenty of tix around - and in prime position too :wink:

jays
Club Player

not many saints in there

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I tried calling those 4 clubs for their figures but just got wrong number. Do you have any other number I could try?
For those wondering what this comment is about, it's due to a browser which has a Skype add-on activated. It very kindly turns numbers into telephone numbers.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:

Really? Me or stacks of my mates haven't missed a GF in ages. The last two I was guaranteed, but my mates who follow other teams all got tix no worries. Just gotta be prepared to put in the hard yards and line up. I took a day off work last year and lined up for 12 hours. Plenty of tix around - and in prime position too :wink:

As I said other full members get tickets on the Monday. Which have usually sold out by early afternoon.

Saint_Ash
Club Player
Location: Either work, home or the footy, maybe a pub somewhere

Spinner wrote:
Moods wrote:

As I said other full members get tickets on the Monday. Which have usually sold out by early afternoon.
Yep, I have been a silver member since 2007 and I haven't been able to get GF tickets as full members had already snapped them up.

What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

A GF against Freo would be good news for AFL Saints Supporter members (and for one or two other reasons).

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I* know the full member pays more money etc etc but surely a competing club member, whether gold or silver, should have access over any sort of non-competing club AFL member

People think its the MCC Members who fill the G with non-members, but even with a worst-case scenario of Ess v Melb, the MCC Mmebers has never shut its doors on GF day..theres room for ANY competing club MCC member who wants to turn up.

Sounds to me like its the AFL competing Silver members who are pretty hard done by

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:I* know the full member pays more money etc etc but surely a competing club member, whether gold or silver, should have access over any sort of non-competing club AFL member

People think its the MCC Members who fill the G with non-members, but even with a worst-case scenario of Ess v Melb, the MCC Mmebers has never shut its doors on GF day..theres room for ANY competing club MCC member who wants to turn up.

Sounds to me like its the AFL competing Silver members who are pretty hard done by
Im a member of both and to be honest cant see the difference. They dont let silver members or what ever they are called in the MCC members and unless the AFL area isnt filled they dont let them in there either. Fair enough if you have to wait a few years otherwise people will just join this year and say they want a pies supporter package. It will be even worse than apparently it was last year.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:I* know the full member pays more money etc etc but surely a competing club member, whether gold or silver, should have access over any sort of non-competing club AFL member
You're probably right Saints66au. However, the way I look at it is this. I have been to 6 out of the last 7 Grand Finals all b/c I am a full member. The afl relies on the extra money that AFL members pay as after their club membership is deducted, the rest of the money goes direct the afl. The MCC - pffft. It's a private old school tie club, and NONE of the money goes anywhere but to the MCC

Now back to your point. If it was that easy to become an AFL member and saints club support members got access regardless of whether they are classified as gold or silver members, I reckon 20,000 saints members would have taken out an afl membership the last 2 years as they would have been guaranteed to see the saints in a GF. And 19,000 of them would have dropped that membership this year.

Many ppl have looked at me strangely when I tell them that I'm off to the GF and my team isn't competing. The first question is often, 'How did you get tix?' The 2nd question or statement is usually,' isn't that a bit unfair that you get to go and so many members of the competing clubs (whether afl silver members or run of the mill club members) miss out?' I don't feel an ounce of guilt. I paid my silver membership for 7 years until I was upgraded. That's what everyone has to do.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Totally disagree and I'm a silver member.

It's not the money it's the wait. Silver members are new members, no waiting time required.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

No, you guys make a vaild point about the instant membership for Silver members...maybe they could tier it with the longest serving competing silver members getitng first dibs so that the "instant member" isnt rewarded first, but the logistics of that would be tricky

The other option would be to do what the MCC Members do, and make half the reserve "walk up" seating on the day, but only for competing club support members of any level

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
BakesFan
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:I tried calling those 4 clubs for their figures but just got wrong number. Do you have any other number I could try?
8675309.... ask for Jenny.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I once sat in the AFL members at the MCG. It had a very sterile atmosphere. Almost as bad as The Medallion Club.

Perhaps most Saints supporters prefer to be around grassroots footy crowds, instead of a bunch of people gold clapping after goal?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:I once sat in the AFL members at the MCG. It had a very sterile atmosphere. Almost as bad as The Medallion Club.

Perhaps most Saints supporters prefer to be around grassroots footy crowds, instead of a bunch of people gold clapping after goal?
You must have gone to a game with a very small crowd. Nothing at all wrong with either the AFL or MCC members. Never noticed any difference where ever I sit.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Sainternist wrote:I once sat in the AFL members at the MCG. It had a very sterile atmosphere. Almost as bad as The Medallion Club.

You must have gone to a game with a very small crowd. Nothing at all wrong with either the AFL or MCC members. Never noticed any difference where ever I sit.
Maybe. Each to their own. I guess I have a bias to standing/sitting at ground level where you can smell the grass, sometimes hear the ball as it's kicked and see the whites of the players' eyes.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Maybe. Each to their own. I guess I have a bias to standing/sitting at ground level where you can smell the grass, sometimes hear the ball as it's kicked and see the whites of the players' eyes.

Obviously didn't take much in at that one game... Next time atthe ground u might notice the stand goes all the way down to the boundary line.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Obviously didn't take much in at that one game... Next time atthe ground u might notice the stand goes all the way down to the boundary line.
:lol: :lol:

Exactly right spinner. A bizarre post.