Question

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Question

I often read here that it was a great coaching move putting Gilbert forward in the first GF. As I have never seen either GF on TV and never will I just cant recall Gilbert going forward in the first one and if he did I certainly cant remember him having any impact. I know he did in the second GF and apart from poor kicking was pretty good. Can someone help me out on this issue.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Kicked a couple of goals in qtr 3 from memory (like you will NEVER ever watch it again). I know he kicked one to start us on the way back.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:I know he kicked one to start us on the way back.
And it was a pearler :)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Kicked a couple of goals in qtr 3 from memory (like you will NEVER ever watch it again). I know he kicked one to start us on the way back.
Thanks. It completely slipped what mind I have left. Thought he only did it in the second final.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

His move fwd was the catalyst.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:His move fwd was the catalyst.
My impression was that he was moved forward in GF 1 to make Maxwell more accountable. He kicked a goal in the third to get us within 2 and a bit goals.

He was involved in two critical plays in the last 5 min which I thought had a bearing on the game. One was when Chips kicked down the line to half forward and Maxwell took a strong mark over Sam and played on (when the hell did Maxwell ever do that? He usually double fists). This resulted in them getting it back into their forward line and scoring a goal. Unfortunatley for us, Kosi was on his own on the other HB.

The second was after a kick out from a behind where we drew level with about 1 min 40 on the clock he gave away a cheap free kick for holding on Shaw. It may have been a professional free to stop them from running on but it was hard to tell. I thought it was a bit unecessary and it allowed them to get it out of scoring range.

I might be being a bit hard on the bloke but....

But it was BJ and Lenny who really got us back in the game.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
My impression was that he was moved forward in GF 1 to make Maxwell more accountable. He kicked a goal in the third to get us within 2 and a bit goals.

He was involved in two critical plays in the last 5 min which I thought had a bearing on the game. One was when Chips kicked down the line to half forward and Maxwell took a strong mark over Sam and played on (when the hell did Maxwell ever do that? He usually double fists). This resulted in them getting it back into their forward line and scoring a goal. Unfortunatley for us, Kosi was on his own on the other HB.

The second was after a kick out from a behind where we drew level with about 1 min 40 on the clock he gave away a cheap free kick for holding on Shaw. It may have been a professional free to stop them from running on but it was hard to tell. I thought it was a bit unecessary and it allowed them to get it out of scoring range.

I thought Maxwell marked over Eddy. I really must have lost the plot in game one.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:

I thought Maxwell marked over Eddy. I really must have lost the plot in game one.
You shut it out of your mind. That's what normal people do. I have watched the last 7 min on youtube and 100 times. The filth defended very well and Maxwell was critical.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Kicked a couple of goals in qtr 3 from memory (like you will NEVER ever watch it again). I know he kicked one to start us on the way back.
Thanks. It completely slipped what mind I have left. Thought he only did it in the second final.
He went forward in both...I was surprised RL tried the same trick twice, as it was reasonably well publicised. I guess, had Gilbert kicked straighter in GF2, we would have only lost by about 40 points, so worth another go. :?

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

He only kicked one, it was the third of our three-goal thrid quarter.

At 1:30 if you dare. Warning: not for the faint of heart.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:...not for the faint of heart.
Not so much the faint hearted, more the broken hearted. That bloody bounce!

Maklom
Club Player

It was the loudest roar I have ever heard at a football game when he kicked that goal. It was an absolute beauty and a huge turning point. It sent shivers down my spine.

Unfortunately the mark that Maxwell took over Gilbert in the last also was a game changer and ensured that the GF was a draw in the end. Wasn't Gilberts fault but that was the one moment in the game above all others that I wish were changed if we could have it done all over again.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Maklom wrote:It was the loudest roar I have ever heard at a football game when he kicked that goal.
There were about 4 bigger roars still to come:

- Davis' goal
- Goddard's mark
- Goddard's goal
- Cloke's goal

F***

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
dragit
Saintsational Legend

This is hurting…

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I suppose everyone noticed that, in the last quarter:
1. Lenny kicked a 60 metre goal,
2. Lenny kicked the ball, that was sensationally marked by Brendon
3. Lenny kicked the last score - alas, a point.

This is probably a terrible thing to say, but there have been times during the year when I have been hit by the thought that winning a flag, with Lenny out injured, would be somehow be a bit hollow. I know he would be the last person on earth to think that, but it would be the cruelest twist in a saga that never seems to tire of getting worse. Not sure that I explained it all that well, but you probably get what I mean.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:I suppose everyone noticed that, in the last quarter:

This is probably a terrible thing to say, but there have been times during the year when I have been hit by the thought that winning a flag, with Lenny out injured, would be somehow be a bit hollow. I know he would be the last person on earth to think that, but it would be the cruelest twist in a saga that never seems to tire of getting worse. Not sure that I explained it all that well, but you probably get what I mean.
Mate, I get it all too well.

Don't worry about it, we aren't winning the flag.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Have to win 2 in a row then,cant leave Lenny out :D :D :D

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:

Have to win 2 in a row then,cant leave Lenny out :D :D :D
OK. You talked me into it. It's a deal!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:Don't worry about it, we aren't winning the flag.
That's the spirit…

So much good cheer on here.

I reckon Lenny would get a lot of satisfaction in seeing his mates pull-off a very unlikely flag, what if Riewoldt does his knee next year, do we wait for 2013 so he doesn't miss out?

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:Don't worry about it, we aren't winning the flag.
That's the spirit…

So much good cheer on here.

I reckon Lenny would get a lot of satisfaction in seeing his mates pull-off a very unlikely flag, what if Riewoldt does his knee next year, do we wait for 2013 so he doesn't miss out?
OK, I don't think we are going to win the flag.

But don't worry, I'll be cheering em on every week nonetheless.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

It's amazing anyone can recall anything much from either GF last year, apart from BJ's mark or Milne's dodgy bounce.

All I can recall from the GF is the Pies goal kicking being terrible in the first half which enabled us to draw the game. Had they been on target, would've been game over red rover at half time!

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I feel that Gilbert has lost too much confidence to make a major impact on the forward line. However, I am not against him "starting" there, as a surprise move to unsettle the Pies.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote: OK, I don't think we are going to win the flag.

But don't worry, I'll be cheering em on every week nonetheless.
No worries,
You're most likely right, we can live in hope … :)
Lenny would not begrudge them that's for sure.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Unfortunately the mark that Maxwell took over Gilbert in the last also was a game changer and ensured that the GF was a draw in the end. Wasn't Gilberts fault but that was the one moment in the game above all others that I wish were changed if we could have it done all over again.[/quote]

That didn't cost us the flag- it was about 1 year, 1 day and 3 quarters before when Schneider missed from the goalsquare. ( not that I have nightmares over it )

python
Club Player

I, like others have shut out most of the grand finals. However, the one thing I think about a lot is the kick Fisher had that Maxwell marked, resulting in a Collingwood goal... I don't know if I have completely conjured this up, but I swear I saw Kosi on his own about 70 from our goal on the other side of the ground. I swear Fisher saw him, deemed it too risky a kick (it would have been risky, but if it had got there Kosi would have put it inside 50) then kicked toward Gilbert. Again, I may have completely invented this, but I wonder what would have happened if he went to Kosi more so than the bounce.