Can we go all the way- or not

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Can we go all the way- or not

This is the question..we're there in the eight at the moment, and if we beat the Swans, we will be playing finals I would say, but can our best team available win those handful of games in September?

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

About a 1 in 40 chance.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Of course they can, anything is possible.

jays
Club Player

not this year

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

If we make the finals and can then get over Essendoom (bogey side) then anything is possible. :)

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

I don't believe collingwood will win the grand final.

I don't know that we can. I think we'll make a prelim and be exhausted and go down fighting.

I feel there is a lot of built up aggression in the side atm, and RL has brought the team to a boil.

I believe collingwood had an element of luck in beating us, and I pity sydney on sunday afternoon.

I think RL will have them wound up like a battering ram. That tactic got us 4 goals off collingwood who had their most accurate day this year.

I have a feeling 2 saints players will get reported and 1 suspended on Sunday and we will by 18 points or more.

I believe we will walk off tall and Sydney will have their heads hung low, those that are still walking.

let me add, Im often wrong :wink: but this is what I wish to believe.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Considering this is a Saints board, the OP is proabably asking a pretty silly question.

hayes66
Club Player

Based on what I've seen so far this year I dont think we can win it. Except for Dal Santo our stars arnt playing like they were last year. We have gained Steven and Mcevoy but due to the loss of Hayes, Gwilt and Gardiner I cant say we are a better side than last year and we werent quite good enough then. Goddard, Riewoldt, Gilbert and Montagna are not going as well as they were but mind you Milne and Peake are having their best years. I think Collingwood, Hawthorn, Geelong, Carlton and West Coast have all improved although i think on our day we can definitely take Carlton and West Coast. I think Pendlebury and Thomas are playing better than last year and they have also found improvement through Reid, Cloke, Krakouer, Davis and maybe Tarrant and Fasolo. I definitely think we can cause issues in the finals and sides would not want to play us. My big hope is that part of our reason for not being as good as last year is due to the GF losses and a little bit of a "whats the point" attitude. Hence, I hope that once we make finals the team think, "hey s*** weve made it here again, only few games from the GF and we have had a poor year" and they get their arse into gear. Maybe when we hit finals Goddard and Riewoldt will really fire with motivation and desire. We also have plenty of finals experience now which I think makes a big difference.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

I believe we can.

However, we cannot afford any more injuries...

And we will need Rooey to lift to another level, because if he does I think he can carry us with him.

We still have the game plan to do it.

Last night was another example of low scoring, tight, finals like contest, which is made for us.

We've shown we can restrict the best to a beatable score, and match them in the stats that count.

We've got the cattle, we are one of the most expereinced finals campaigners, we just need a little bit more polish, confidence and composure, which I believe we can develop over the next 3 weeks.

Winning a flag is about timing as much as anything.

The finals is a new season, what we've done to date means nothing once you're there... the team that wins it is the one who plays best for the finals.

That can be us IMO.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well the odds are against us...

But on our day we can beat anyone.

Can we put it all together for enough games in September? Ah...now that is the question....

A number of things have been coming together at the right time.

* Workrate....the hunger and ability to roll out a 4 quarter effort is back

* Gameplan... "Tweaks" to our gameplan now are obvious and and going well. We now play on more quickly and directly.

* Form... More and more of our players are hitting good form.

Roo has gotten his marking together. He now just needs to get his ball use better. We don't need Roo to be BOG, though that would be great, but we do need him to play his role well as this will allow our forwards to play their roles too.

Kosi needs to be a contributor in all games..again does not have to play a blinder (though if he does watch out!!!)..buta good honest game frees up Roo and our other forwards.

Big Ben is now motoring along and history shows that having a ruckman in good form is most helpful in finals series. With the constant press on the ball carrier this has never been more critical, as first use of the ball is a critical success factor. Of importance that Ben now matches up very well against the ruckman that the Big 3 teams in Pies, Hawks and Cats.

Peake is having a superb year since coming back. His pace and run is exactly what we needed. Peake has also been very smart in knowing when to run. In many ways is becoming a quicker version of Pecket who was a master of knowing when to run and create.

Dal and Joey are back.

Polo has improved our "bottom 6".

Jack has been a real live wire. If he could just settle a bit (and most likely will with more experience) he could be the difference in us winning and losing games. This year we certainly need a player or two like Jack to sand up in the finals. If we just are reliant on our "names" then we will be overcome for Football 2001-style is more a Team Sport than every and I have no doubt that the team that will hold to Cup aloft this year will be the best TEAM.

Raph... has shown in the past that he can lift in September. This is exactly what is needed this year.

On the Con side:

Footskills..and decision making. The "Roman Press"...in constant pressure on the ball carrier in numbers makes the ability to use the ball accurately and well quickly even more vital than ever

IMO this cost us dearly in our last games against both the Pies and Cats....and in those games with better ball use we could well have won.

Now pressure is part of the reason for the poor skill...and pressure will abound in the finals. But if the Saints can "click" on the day we can beat anyone. But that is an "if".

Lastly:
Experience and hard bodies both Count a lot in September...and we have both. But then again so do the cats and Pies.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bugger all chance.

The dreamers should dream about the Prelims.

Making the Prelims would most likely mean beating either Geelong or Hawks in week 2.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:About a 1 in 40 chance.
Most of the major outlets are offering 21 to 1 for the flag so they are generous odds.

The answer would have to be no.

I'm worried about winning the first final against probably Essendon let alone winning a flag. A more realistic question is can we be competetive against Geelong or Hawthorn if we make it to the second week? I think we would struggle in that game and that's only the second week. We'd have two further games to get through to win the flag if we made it that far.

I think we are really going to struggle to make a prelim. I'd be stoked if we got that far. It's good to dream sometimes but I think some supporters need a reality check if they think we are a chance to win a flag this year. Happy to be wrong though.
Last edited by SaintPav on Sat 20 Aug 2011 2:51pm, edited 3 times in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I dont think it is just chance that we are coming together now. Maybe this is what Ross has planned all year, to be in form for the finals, instead of losing form like the last two years.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I'm wrapped to be winning again and coming home from the footy happy.

I'm wrapped with the guts the team has shown in the last 3 months and I think we have really gained respect from the football commnunity.

It's been great to watch a bunch of new players make their debuts (Cripps, Sippos, Ledger etc).

I'm very happy watching Stevens and Macca come along as well as seeing decent improvement in players like Peake.

I'd be wrapped if we finish 6th.

I'd be wrapped if we won a final and stoked if we got to a prelim.

Have to be realistic. There's been plenty of good things to be happy about latley and It's not always about winning the flag.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Bugger all chance.

The dreamers should dream about the Prelims.

Making the Prelims would most likely mean beating either Geelong or Hawks in week 2.
This

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
spert
Saintsational Legend

Bit of a slow day, so I'll pose the question about what teams have just gotten into the finals but turned it on to go all the way against the favorites..unfortunately Adelaide comes to mind in '97.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Bit of a slow day, so I'll pose the question about what teams have just gotten into the finals but turned it on to go all the way against the favorites..unfortunately Adelaide comes to mind in '97.
Mcintyre finals system helped them a lot...

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

After watching the Hawks and Blues last night, I think that it would be wishful thinking to get to the GF, let alone win it. We simply don't have the delivery skills and no forwards in form.

I think that a Prelim. would be a good result for this year.

BakesFan
SS Life Member

Finals are a different ball game.... Our boys have the experience to compete well, and the weight of expectation has been lifted from them.

I'm predicting some exciting performances from The Saints in September.....and hoping like hell we pinch a win in October.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote:After watching the Hawks and Blues last night, I think that it would be wishful thinking to get to the GF, let alone win it. We simply don't have the delivery skills and no forwards in form.

Agreed. I think a GF birth is a little bit beyond us, despite the fact that we probably should have beaten Geelong twice this year.

Our skills just haven't been able to stand up against the top quality sides enough. We also need Roo in better form.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

We're not without a chance.

I sense that we need an X-factor.

Tommy Walsh?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

HAVE to make the 8 first!!

saint4life
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:After watching the Hawks and Blues last night, I think that it would be wishful thinking to get to the GF, let alone win it. We simply don't have the delivery skills and no forwards in form.

dwaks and scum were both woeful in the second half. if dawks serve that up in first final cats will smash them.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

no hayes
no gwilt
some of goddard
half of roo
young ruckman
one good forward
amazing we're even dreaming it.
prelim would be a great effort.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

If we win this week, we will not lose again this year. Bookmark it.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post