Should Roo relinquish the Captaincy for 2012?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Should Roo relinquish the Captaincy for 2012?

I wonder about Roo and weather he is going to somehow magically improve in time for the 2012 season. His slump has got to be one of the most dramatical slides in the history of the game based on his previous standing in the game up to 2010.

Would anybody be surprised if he relinquishes the captaincy at some stage during the off season?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Should Roo relinquish the Captaincy for 2012?

Cairnsman wrote:I wonder about Roo and weather he is going to somehow magically improve in time for the 2012 season. His slump has got to be one of the most dramatical slides in the history of the game based on his previous standing in the game up to 2010.

Would anybody be surprised if he relinquishes the captaincy at some stage during the off season?
At least you havent gone over the top when talking about his slump. As for the captaincy, I would be shocked if he wasnt captain next year.

DWOODROW
Club Player

I don't think Roo's form is the only thing that has taken a slide this season.

Take a look at the whole team. Nowhere near their best. Play some good games and some bad ones. A few players missing. Gwilt, Lenny, Gardiner.

Not sure what is needed to fix it up. Maybe a long break at Christmas and some good media would be a bonus.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Should Roo relinquish the Captaincy for 2012?

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:I wonder about Roo and weather he is going to somehow magically improve in time for the 2012 season. His slump has got to be one of the most dramatical slides in the history of the game based on his previous standing in the game up to 2010.

At least you havent gone over the top when talking about his slump. As for the captaincy, I would be shocked if he wasnt captain next year.
Thanks. Yeah it has been huge hasn't it? I mean for a guy that is in the top bracket of the highest paid sports people in Australia his kicking is fundamentally flawed amongst other issues which are probably not so evident but are captured in his general on field demeanour.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Rooey is in a very difficult position - he is/has been a star performer for the Club. He is clearly injured, loss of confidence and form, inacurate kicking, poor incoming delivery to him.

It's up to the Club to discuss where he is at and to release the pressure of Captaincy from him next year, so that he can concentrate on "himself." He needs a break and a low key run into next year. It's not the end of the world to "pass on" the Captaincy.

Lenny, Dal, BJ could easily step up.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Roo definately should give up the captaincy.

Not because he is out of form, but other players need to be developed by assuming that level of responsibility.

Was always a fan of the GT rotating captain scheme.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Are his knees shot?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

On this years performance I can't think of an automatic replacement. Usually in AFL teams there are candadites or "spiritual leaders" that could easily fill the captaincy role but I don't think we have a player that is currently running around that fits that bill. Maybe Chips.

As a smoky and with an eye to the rebuilding phase maybe Jack.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:On this years performance I can't think of an automatic replacement. Usually in AFL teams there are candadites or "spiritual leaders" that could easily fill the captaincy role but I don't think we have a player that is currently running around that fits that bill. Maybe Chips.

As a smoky and with an eye to the rebuilding phase maybe Jack.
Lenny Hayes is the spiritual leader of this football club. Should have been made captain instead of Roo all those years ago.

The Saints are coming!
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Was listening to Mathew Lloyd this morning on SEN. He was quite interesting. Said that Rooey still plays the same way but other sides have changed the way they play him. he can no longer blow defenders up with his running cos most teams are rolling defenders off him. So when he runs one up the ground another comes back to the contest and out bustles him which is easy cos he is stuffed from running. Lloyd also talked about how he had to change after his hamstring injury and also said he would love to work with Roo to help him with what he learned.

Now I must admit I was initially not interested in what Lloyd had to say cos I find he is very negative and likes to kick players while they are down, but must admit he was really good to listen to this morning.

But I am sure there are many things contributing to Roo's slump. I am still sure he can bounce back though.

I wish we could pull him through like he pulled us through preliminary finals in the past

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

We would be a rabble if anything even thought of taking the captaincy off Riewoldt.

10 years being elite... and strip him for 1 bad season.

People on here need their heads checked.

"Lets give it to Goddard..."

Oh thats right, 2 elite years, missing this year... and he yells at everyone. Lets hand it right over to Mr Communication right now.

...and Lenny is too old.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I'd give it to Lenny for one last crack at it and allow Riewoldt to concentrate on getting back to his best.

Not only that, we need to develop another genuine key forward ... Not a ruckman like Kosi or a third tall like Gamble or Lynch.

Walsh wouldn't have done his chances any harm on the weekend.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:We would be a rabble if anything even thought of taking the captaincy off Riewoldt.

Oh thats right, 2 elite years, missing this year... and he yells at everyone. Lets hand it right over to Mr Communication right now.

...and Lenny is too old.
Goddard would be the last person I would give the captaincy to. He has proven this year that he is a downhill skier. As you say his two best years coincided with the teams two best years. Before that there were big question marks over him and haven't they returned this year. And I also agree that Lenny is too old. Where I don't agree is leaving Roo as Captain. Maybe I would agree if we knew that this year is an aberration but if he backs up in 2012 with the same performance he has dished up this year then we are in big trouble.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:Are his knees shot?
BANG BANG!

Apologies to Hurricane :wink: 

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Roo is the man for the job. There is no one else anyway. I think we need to come to the realisation that he's not 25 anymore and he has some chronic injuries. Saying that he's still a formidable forward in the comp. He needs a little help in the forward line, that's all.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah he should hand it to me and the dr
:roll:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:yeah he should hand it to me and the dr
:roll:
Well I haven't dropped a mark all year :wink:

My knees aren't the best but :(

matrix
Saintsational Legend

same
my lungs arent what they used to be either

but we can give it a crack 8-)

SainterSoul
Club Player

Nothing against Roo, but I think he should. Let him concentrate on getting his body and mind right.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I for one would like to see the captaincy go to Tommy Walsh.

There, we were all thinking it.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:I for one would like to see the captaincy go to Tommy Walsh.

There, we were all thinking it.
Makes more sense than you think.

Tommy will spend so much time wondering if and when he'll get a game that he'll have no time to stress out over the captaincy :idea:

Austinnn
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:Roo is the man for the job. There is no one else anyway. I think we need to come to the realisation that he's not 25 anymore and he has some chronic injuries. Saying that he's still a formidable forward in the comp. He needs a little help in the forward line, that's all.
+1

BJ not a communicator, Lenny had it, Monty or Fisher maybe, but if they get it and BJ gets passed over, might cause problems.

Riewoldt is a natural captain, fronts up, doesn't shy away from the ambassador role. The bloke has had to have a brass arsehole to front up every week after the scandals of the off-season and his own form this year. Is the strain getting to him? Without a doubt. Doesn't mean he can't be a good captain in the future though.

This year, we've seen a footy god brought down to earth. He's had slumps and injuries and moments of weakness before, but this year has had it all and this year he hasn't had (m)any breakout games to show the world how great he still is. No need to review it but we all know. Will 2011 give him the humility and grit that can push him further as a leader in that romantisised Hollywood/Gladiatior way, or will he go out like Woewoedin? I suspect/expect the former.

As soon as possible, he needs to forget all about the horror of 2011, have a long holiday totally away from footy and club, come back and look at how he can improve his game for the future or at least modernise it.

He'll be fine on field. We need to get the other 4 possies in the forward line sorted out before we worry about him or Milne.

Let's all hope this kid Walsh can step up to the next level, ditto Siposs. We also need to find a replacement for Milne before he retires in the next few years.

As the leader/face of the club it's a tough one, because he is obliged to be around for all club sponsor fan promo stuff, whereas that is the total opposite of what he must do to freshen up. This is where the leadership team card must be played. BJ and Monty and Chips and all the other wannabe captains must take up the slack in the off season, put in their applications for 2013 if you like.

But in answer to the OP, no.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Spinner wrote:We would be a rabble if anything even thought of taking the captaincy off Riewoldt.

...and Lenny is too old.
Goddard would be the last person I would give the captaincy to. He has proven this year that he is a downhill skier. As you say his two best years coincided with the teams two best years. Before that there were big question marks over him and haven't they returned this year. And I also agree that Lenny is too old. Where I don't agree is leaving Roo as Captain. Maybe I would agree if we knew that this year is an aberration but if he backs up in 2012 with the same performance he has dished up this year then we are in big trouble.

Oh geez. Gets better and better.

Looks like some people want no captain going forth.

It really irks me the people that complain, whinge, sook and critisize but have absolutely no alternative nor solutions.

Roo is the best captain we could have at the club. 10 years proves that. He personality proves that.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Not sure if Roo should be stripped of the Captaincy, but I know that BJ should definitely not be handed it. He's far too inconsistency and downright petulant at times.

If it is to be handed to anyone it must be Lenny, but that would only be a stop-gap solution, obviously.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully the next captain will be McEvoy in about 2014 or so.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs