Team - Saints v Carlton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Team - Saints v Carlton

So far...

Gardiner is in 8-)

Edit:

Carl v StK

O’hAilpin, Lucas, Tuohy for Thornton, Ellard, Davies.

Gardiner for Armitage.

Interesting to compare tactics of AFL coaches, Carlton, Collingwood....all tuning up.

Hawks outs Burgoyne, Hodge, Sewell, Birchall, Franklin, Lewis, Bailey, Rioli :shock:
Last edited by SainterK on Thu 01 Sep 2011 5:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Crazy side. How the hell does that work? MG cannot play forward and if he is sub thats fine if we dont get an injury but if we do what happens then. We now officially have no depth.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Should have rolled the dice on Walsh.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Crazy side. How the hell does that work? MG cannot play forward and if he is sub thats fine if we dont get an injury but if we do what happens then. We now officially have no depth.
Maybe Ben will play forward or have a rest, heaps of other big names having a bye?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Crazy side. How the hell does that work? MG cannot play forward and if he is sub thats fine if we dont get an injury but if we do what happens then. We now officially have no depth.
Maybe Ben will play forward or have a rest, heaps of other big names having a bye?
But Ben is picked though and he aint a forward. We cant have Ben, Kosi and Rooy in the same gforward line.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

:shock:

So we can't bring Walsh in for Armo because we'll be too tall so we bring in Gardiner???

Also, if Walsh is a risk then MG must be a huge risk considering the injuries he's had, the footy he's missed and his limited time back.

Maybe there's more to come (surely if MG is in they must be going to drop McEvoy out and give him a rest)

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

This does nothing for the balance of the side.

Another tall?

Kosi, Mac & Gardiner?!

Walsh would have been the best option, closely followed by Baker or someone like Heyne to get a run.

The Saints are coming!
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Yeah still trying to work this out. Honestly 1 week before finals. Absolutely dumbfou

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

The way our selectors are performing it is a surprise they did not drop Steven for Baker.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Tommy might just be packing his bags as we speak.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
To the top
SS Life Member

Well, there you go.

And I trust Gardiner goes on in 2012.

Would also liked to have seen Cahill for Geary and Smith for Blake for the reasons put on another thread - that Geary simply does not bring any potency especially to the front half where Armitage (principally) is missing from and Blake is stereo type with limited on-field rotation value unless he "releases" Fisher.

But 1 out of 3 ain't bad - or was it 2 out of 3 ain't back aka Meatloaf?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:The way our selectors are performing it is a surprise they did not drop Steven for Baker.
Nice play on words. Deliberate or accidental?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:This does nothing for the balance of the side.

Another tall?

Kosi, Mac & Gardiner?!

Walsh would have been the best option, closely followed by Baker or someone like Heyne to get a run.
It's actually incredibly sensible.

If we get a big man injury in the finals, you'd want to know we have another option who is right to go.

Lots of teams have played backup players to give them some touch, you just have to be prepared.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

White Winmar wrote:Tommy might just be packing his bags as we speak.
Then he packs them.

Selection is a MC decision, not supporters. We are not close enough to the situation to make anything like an informed opinion on the merit or otherwise of player selection.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:Well, there you go.

And I trust Gardiner goes on in 2012.

Would also liked to have seen Cahill for Geary and Smith for Blake for the reasons put on another thread - that Geary simply does not bring any potency especially to the front half where Armitage (principally) is missing from and Blake is stereo type with limited on-field rotation value unless he "releases" Fisher.

But 1 out of 3 ain't bad - or was it 2 out of 3 ain't back aka Meatloaf?
This will be MG last game I would think. And to be honest he shouldnt have got that unless they rested Ben. Very unbalanced side.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

St DAC wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Tommy might just be packing his bags as we speak.
Then he packs them.

Selection is a MC decision, not supporters. We are not close enough to the situation to make anything like an informed opinion on the merit or otherwise of player selection.
Thanks Einstein

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

!

I thought MG had already announced his retirement at seasons end! Cant have.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:

Another tall?

Kosi, Mac & Gardiner?!

If we get a big man injury in the finals, you'd want to know we have another option who is right to go.

Lots of teams have played backup players to give them some touch, you just have to be prepared.
If we lose this though, there may only be one more week and baring injury he couldnt play in that game. Team lacks balance.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

MG is a very good player when available and will be used as a forward with a pinch hit ruck role IMO. Ben might get the chop out across half back role. If we are going to make a dent on the finals MG is a very handy in, Walsh may be anything but he is not just a novice in the AFL he is a novice at the game it's self. I think he might not be in until next year now guys. Sorry.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

clarky449 wrote:Thanks Einstein
Call me Al.

And I'll call you a goose. :wink:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Another tall?

Kosi, Mac & Gardiner?!

If we lose this though, there may only be one more week and baring injury he couldnt play in that game. Team lacks balance.
Team really isn't finalised until about 6.30pm Saturday evening.

I know the thought of Gardi coming in freaks you out for some reason, but I still think it's sensible.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:MG is a very good player when available and will be used as a forward with a pinch hit ruck role IMO. Ben might get the chop out across half back role. If we are going to make a dent on the finals MG is a very handy in, Walsh may be anything but he is not just a novice in the AFL he is a novice at the game it's self. I think he might not be in until next year now guys. Sorry.
Can you tell me the last time MG did anything up forward and what does Ben do helping at HB. He is a ruckman whjo can play 20 minutes forward. MG is a ruckman who cant play forward. I hope Ben is out to be honest otherwise we are far to big especially given the forcast of wind.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Perhaps testing something from the kangas game. We were much weaker with Ben on the bench. I remember from the telecast Ben being hurried back on after his opponent kicked a goal.

Most interested in who the sub will be though. Shocker if Gards is, considering he can only replace 1 position.

Maybe some late changes, the finals are do or die so i would of thought a dress rehearsal before then would have been best. No 2nd chance luxery so a structural change is a curious move.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Another tall?

Kosi, Mac & Gardiner?!

Team really isn't finalised until about 6.30pm Saturday evening.

I know the thought of Gardi coming in freaks you out for some reason, but I still think it's sensible.
Very sensible if we are int the top 4 or if we had 6th wrapped up.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Farewell game?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"