If Lyon is fair dinkum then the following players need to go

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

End Of An Era
Club Player

If Lyon is fair dinkum then the following players need to go

Gardiner
McQualter
Baker
Eddy

Blake
Gamble
Polo

Trade Gilbert for an acceptable Draft Pick, maybe pick 20.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

agreed

Sainter for life.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

But Lyon is not fair dinkum.

he wants us to fail.

You ask any number of experts on here.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: If Lyon is fair dinkum then the following players need t

End Of An Era wrote:Gardiner
McQualter
Baker
Eddy

Blake
Gamble
Polo

I reckon we should try and get a top 5 pick for Gilbert. Also Polo doesnt deserve to go at all.

End Of An Era
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:But Lyon is not fair dinkum.

he wants us to fail.

You ask any number of experts on here.
It is very hard for a coach to give the marching orders to players that he has formed relationships with. It should be the List Managers role to cull the list and put up players for trade.

Sainterman
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
McQualter
Baker
Eddy

Blake
Gamble
Polo

I reckon we should try and get a top 5 pick for Gilbert. Also Polo doesnt deserve to go at all.
I actually agree with you Plugger66!

End Of An Era
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
McQualter
Baker
Eddy

Blake
Gamble
Polo

If we could get a top 5 pick for Gilbert even better. But I seriously doubt it. Regarding Polo, he is simply not good enough. He is a role player at best and as we know, role players can only take you so far.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

End Of An Era wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
McQualter
Baker
Eddy

Blake
Gamble
Polo

If we could get a top 5 pick for Gilbert even better. But I seriously doubt it. Regarding Polo, he is simply not good enough. He is a role player at best and as we know, role players can only take you so far.
...and you can only go so far without them! Every team needs role players and you really cant complain too much about Polo's year. He was recruited specifically as a backup for the likes of Lenny and I reckon he stepped up when needed. Solid year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

End Of An Era wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
McQualter
Baker
Eddy

Blake
Gamble
Polo

I was joking with Gilbert. We wouldnt get a first rounder for him at the moment so we are looking at around pick 30 or above and if you want RL to coach he isnt going to all of a sudden get rid of role players. People spoke the same after we lost the GF last year saying we need to score more and get rid of role players. Neither happened and neither will happen again next year so to those he think it should happen then you better hope RL doesnt coach next year.

St.Roly
Club Player

Polo has very good hands in close. Reckon he did enough to warrant another dance.

saintlee
Club Player

McQualter
Baker
Eddy

Blake
Gamble
Polo

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple go, reckon Gram and Raph should be traded if we can...not sure we'd get much for them tho....

Also, pretty sure I read somewhere that up to a dozen players might be moved on this year...obviously that would include some rookies too...

Richter
SS Life Member

Blake - good clubman; useful utility, back-up ruck; now that Gardy definitely gone is a required player for next year IMO

Gamble - see ya. Behind Armo, Lynch, Cripps, Walsh, Johnson....

Polo - should not be a top 22 player with Lenny available next year, however, is a decent back-up and would not be on much $$ so I don't see much need to chop him. Valuable back-up hard bodied inside mid.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
McQualter
Baker
Eddy

Blake
Gamble
Polo

I was joking with Gilbert. We wouldnt get a first rounder for him at the moment so we are looking at around pick 30 or above and if you want RL to coach he isnt going to all of a sudden get rid of role players. People spoke the same after we lost the GF last year saying we need to score more and get rid of role players. Neither happened and neither will happen again next year so to those he think it should happen then you better hope RL doesnt coach next year.
And look where it got us this year. Lucky to make first week of finals. We DO need to score more goals and if you're going to keep "role players" then please get some with some modicom of skill. Our skills are seriously lacking and THAT is the only real thing that is holding us back.

Go back and look how good we are in some quarters of certain matches. The ball doesn't hit the ground but that doesn't happen near often enough.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

McQualter
Baker
Eddy

Blake
Gamble
Polo

+ Peake.

Ive got a feeling we will go for a 17yo.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
End Of An Era wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
McQualter
Baker
Eddy

Blake
Gamble
Polo

And look where it got us this year. Lucky to make first week of finals. We DO need to score more goals and if you're going to keep "role players" then please get some with some modicom of skill. Our skills are seriously lacking and THAT is the only real thing that is holding us back.

Go back and look how good we are in some quarters of certain matches. The ball doesn't hit the ground but that doesn't happen near often enough.
I dont care about where it got us this year. This is how RL coaches. He may change things slightly but he will always have role players. Like I said people who dont like that should hope RL is replaced.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
McQualter
Baker
Eddy

Blake
Gamble
Polo

Are you joking on Polo? I agree that he doesn't deserve to go but what does that have to do with what is best for the Saints?

I was also disappointed in Peake's performance on Saturday.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
McQualter
Baker
Eddy

Blake
Gamble
Polo

Are you joking on Polo? I agree that he doesn't deserve to go but what does that have to do with what is best for the Saints?
I think it is best for the club to keep him. Just last week he was some peoples hero on here. That was way over the top but he has a position in our 40 players. There are to many to go before him anyway.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
McQualter
Baker
Eddy

Blake
Gamble
Polo

I think it is best for the club to keep him. Just last week he was some peoples hero on here. That was way over the top but he has a position in our 40 players. There are to many to go before him anyway.
Probably and that is becuase he is a replacement for Baker and there isn't anyone else. It's a sad reflection of where the list is at.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Look at what we need, then make the decisions. We need to develop another ruck and find a key forward, key back and probably a tough, fast midfielder, then the juggling begins.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Look at what we need, then make the decisions. We need to develop another ruck and find a key forward, key back and probably a tough, fast midfielder, then the juggling begins.
LOL. Is that all?

It may be easier finding those hens teeth.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Blake and Polo should stay... they do ok in thw possies they play but they should only be used as depth players

battye
Saintsational Legend

Peake is important. He's one of the few players we have who is not afraid to run and bounce.

Blake - the decision is up to him. If he wants to retire, well done on a good career. If he wants to go around again there is a place for him. He has been a good defender for us over the last 2 or 3 years and I'm not sure that we have anyone in reserve that could do the job that he does, bearing in mind he takes ruck duties every now and then.

Polo and Gamble... performed decently to be fair, but neither were outstanding so it could go either way for them. Come round 1 I would give precedence to some youngsters on the list.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
spert
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
spert wrote:Look at what we need, then make the decisions. We need to develop another ruck and find a key forward, key back and probably a tough, fast midfielder, then the juggling begins.
LOL. Is that all?

It may be easier finding those hens teeth.
Or we could give up and not try and recruit anyone? ! But I'm actually looking forward to 2012 now- I think the club has had the kick up the bum it needs and might just hit the track running.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The membership is not stupid, but I suppose alot of Saints fans would not have been very accepting if Ross had come out at the end of last year and said we'll be 'rebuilding' 2011 - expect some pain and see ya later Gardy/Blakey/Bakes. We want the best for the club to be in a position to challenge for a flag. We don't care about finishing in the 8 for the next three years if the result ends up being 5th or 6th at best.

If Lyon was fair dinkum about player development instead of self-preservation, he should've stuck to giving the youngsters - including Walsh and Stanley - more opportunities to learn in the big league rather than in the VFL.

Anyway you cut it, this years end result was not a surprise. How many teams in the history of AFL/VFL go to the well two years running falling just short with a list that may have already peaked, and then back up with another GF appearance the following year? So much needed to go right and maybe if you introduced 3 seasoned quality footballers it may have been different, but once again, history was against us. The team was going to have to go backwards in 2011 unless Lyon had somehow convinced the board that Polo and Gamble were the X-factor that was missing...LOL

He should've tried players in different positions just like he said would at the end of NAB cup games this year. We would've probably won just as many games with half our list being 18 and 19 yr olds rather than playing Polo, Gamble, Blake and Dawson to some extent, and Ray. Bakes and Gardiner should have retired or been delisted last year and I defy anyone to tell me that if you look at it objectively that logically their time wasn't up 12 mths ago. Eddie on the Rookie list without even a look in this year is still one of the most baffling things to me.

I can't understand how Eddie and MacQualter are somehow deemed to be good enough to be picked and playing in a GF one year and then delisted the next... I can't believe Luke Miles was delisted without given a proper opportunity. I liked the look of him Vs Tigers in late h&away of 2010. Don't tell me he is less of a player than Polo or Gamble or Ray...Anyhow; are all these sort of list management decisions Ross Lyons or does he blame someone else?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:The membership is not stupid, but I suppose alot of Saints fans would not have been very accepting if Ross had come out at the end of last year and said we'll be 'rebuilding' 2011 - expect some pain and see ya later Gardy/Blakey/Bakes. We want the best for the club to be in a position to challenge for a flag. We don't care about finishing in the 8 for the next three years if the result ends up being 5th or 6th at best.

If Lyon was fair dinkum about player development instead of self-preservation, he should've stuck to giving the youngsters - including Walsh and Stanley - more opportunities to learn in the big league rather than in the VFL.

Anyway you cut it, this years end result was not a surprise. How many teams in the history of AFL/VFL go to the well two years running falling just short with a list that may have already peaked, and then back up with another GF appearance the following year? So much needed to go right and maybe if you introduced 3 seasoned quality footballers it may have been different, but once again, history was against us. The team was going to have to go backwards in 2011 unless Lyon had somehow convinced the board that Polo and Gamble were the X-factor that was missing...LOL

He should've tried players in different positions just like he said would at the end of NAB cup games this year. We would've probably won just as many games with half our list being 18 and 19 yr olds rather than playing Polo, Gamble, Blake and Dawson to some extent, and Ray. Bakes and Gardiner should have retired or been delisted last year and I defy anyone to tell me that if you look at it objectively that logically their time wasn't up 12 mths ago. Eddie on the Rookie list without even a look in this year is still one of the most baffling things to me.

I can't understand how Eddie and MacQualter are somehow deemed to be good enough to be picked and playing in a GF one year and then delisted the next... I can't believe Luke Miles was delisted without given a proper opportunity. I liked the look of him Vs Tigers in late h&away of 2010. Don't tell me he is less of a player than Polo or Gamble or Ray...Anyhow; are all these sort of list management decisions Ross Lyons or does he blame someone else?
I must say that is one of the best hindsight posts I have ever read.