If Ross Had Signed....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gooner
Club Player

If Ross Had Signed....

If Ross had signed on for another 4 years where do we think we would be come 2013? Does anyone truly believe we would have a crack next year? Personally I am not convinced.
We did not beat Geelong, Collingwood or Hawks this year and unless we raised our skill level dramatically I am certain that next year would have been similar to this one.

We'd therefore be in the process of a rebuild. Does anyone here think Ross would be the man for that? He certainly hasn't shown any signs: no faith in the kids and our recruiting has focused on mature aged players.

We could be stuck in a situation where we have a poor, ageing list, a dour, unattractive game-plan and a coach on big bikkies who is contracted for another two or three years. We couldn't afford to sack him.

I am frustrated with the current circumstance but obviously Ross has shown he hasn't the stomach for a rebuild. Could be that we got out jail here.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

definitely got out of jail..the squib feared failure going forward due to the nature of his list....glad to see the end of the 2 hacks per 1 kid recruiting policy....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

In my most positive mood I agree (my negative mood says we lost a coach who has proven he has what it takes at the top level).

That aside, Lyinhas clearly showed he aint a rebuild guy -tbh the thing that did rankle me about Lyin (and I was a strong fan) was his actions never backed his words when it came to development of kids. I mean we are screaming for another fwd option all year, Walsh HAS been in the bests in Reserves many times this year.....Ross says hes "knocking on the door".........but his actions are to overlook him. Surely he was a game or 2 on 2011 to give him a taste?
Ive wondered all year..........HAD Gardiner stood up and Hayes not gone down....would Jack Steven and Ben McEvoy really developed under Lyin? would he have had that planning that said "hang on we need to keep these guys in with an eye to the future??".......THATS my question mark over Ross...

Had we not been 1-8 would we have seen the kids we saw this year? and why would you develop Armitage out of the middle when hes clearly an in and under mid??

I too am starting to believe IF we get the right young assistant, we can come out of this in front long term....speak to Tudor.
Last edited by Teflon on Sat 17 Sep 2011 12:42am, edited 1 time in total.

“Yeah….nah””
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Always felt he coached for his own Win/loss ratio.Probably felt he would tarnish his future prospects during possible rebuild. Didn't see him as the MESSIAH last week and he;s not the bdevil this week.Reckon he's been the nsame FILTHY>SELFISH DOG throughout.Said it after 09 GF and Like Ball scenario and got called a TROLL!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: If Ross Had Signed....

gooner wrote:If Ross had signed on for another 4 years where do we think we would be come 2013? Does anyone truly believe we would have a crack next year? Personally I am not convinced.
We did not beat Geelong, Collingwood or Hawks this year and unless we raised our skill level dramatically I am certain that next year would have been similar to this one.

We'd therefore be in the process of a rebuild. Does anyone here think Ross would be the man for that? He certainly hasn't shown any signs: no faith in the kids and our recruiting has focused on mature aged players.

We could be stuck in a situation where we have a poor, ageing list, a dour, unattractive game-plan and a coach on big bikkies who is contracted for another two or three years. We couldn't afford to sack him.

I am frustrated with the current circumstance but obviously Ross has shown he hasn't the stomach for a rebuild. Could be that we got out jail here.
I had the same concerns even when we thought we had him.

A completly new direction for us might not be bad given the GF losses. I just hope we get a really good coach.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.