Trashing lyon discredits our improvement

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

defacto
Club Player

Trashing lyon discredits our improvement

i think we need to be careful in trashing lyon. whilst his exist was not graceful he has helped instill a great work ethic and professionalism in our players. he has also helped move our club forward. if we discredit him then we also discredit anything he helped build over the last 5 years.

we need to build on what he has achieved, evolve and become stronger. looking back on his exit, and discrediting him only helps erode all the progress we have made.

lets acknowledge the work he has done, the progress he has made and move forward.

the other thing i'd note is that i'm glad we did not have the opportunity to match freo's offer. given our financial situation, matching such an offer would be disastrous. i'm also glad he pulled the plug this year and not run out his contract with one foot in the door.

the abruptness of it all will also give us more time to find another coach!!!!

lets move forward!!!!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:i think we need to be careful in trashing lyon. whilst his exist was not graceful he has helped instill a great work ethic and professionalism in our players. he has also helped move our club forward. if we discredit him then we also discredit anything he helped build over the last 5 years. 

we need to build on what he has achieved, evolve and become stronger. looking back on his exit, and discrediting him only helps erode all the progress we have made.

lets acknowledge the work he has done, the progress he has made and move forward.

the other thing i'd note is that i'm glad we did not have the opportunity to match freo's offer. given our financial situation, matching such an offer would be disastrous. i'm also glad he pulled the plug this year and not run out his contract with one foot in the door.

the abruptness of it all will also give us more time to find another coach!!!!

lets move forward!!!!
It's a good point you make. And at the club level that's exactly what they're doing. They're being professional and getting on with the job. We are in good hands.

However we humble posters operate in a different environment. We are Saints supporters and by definition emotional animals. If we feel better bagging the ex coach then that's what we should be free to do.

IMO :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

tell me what exactly has he built.?....he inherited a very good side....roo, dal, fish, joey, bj, ball & lenny for starters......but just who of the many kids he had at his disposal did he show faith in an develop.???...none..zilch...until this year when he was forced to give jack, big mac and armo a go.....pissed two stalwarts of the club off too...in ball and maxie......disgraceful actually...said so all along...and don't even f****** dare to talk about his f****** negative game plan..

stuffed up roo and kossi no end too.....made roo old beyond his years.....refused to develop one of the kids to give him a hand even...

did he throw our last match in order to get to freo in time to prepare for next year..??.i believe so.....the guy was a lying deceitful prick only interested in furthering his own career and he didn't give a f*** who he stepped on in the meantime....one of the most despicable persons you will ever encounter in the afl.....and as someone said in today's rags...it's greatest ever mercenary......don't get me started.ffs.... :evil: :evil:

i'm sorry for the day we ever let this c*** walk in our door.... :evil: :evil:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Ross did many good things he took our injury epidemic and got Misso to fix it.. He got us a ruck division ... He got us playing tough uncompromising footy ..... But in the end it all means nothing now.. We move forward and find our new coach .. Ross is the past . All it does is give us more motivation to belt the hell out of Freo

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
defacto
Club Player

you've cant just take the bad and ignore the good.

the good:
- he improved our ruck stocks. bringing king and gardiner in was a master stroke. especially kings transition to coaching.
- he improved or sport science. injuries went down.
- players who developed and improved under his reign:
gwilt
goddard
blake
montagna
nick dal santo
fisher
- players he brought into the club
dempster
scheinder
- his management of kosi who was in terrible shape when he got to the club
- took us to two winnable grand finals
- our performance interstate and in finals

the bad:
- his handling of houghton, ball and then the lovett trade
- the draft and development of younger players whilst we were a contender
- his management of the media
- his exit

SteveStevens66
Club Player

Stinger, you left out Milney. Other than that you are spot on!

Carna Saints!!!
stevie
Saintsational Legend

My lords, your humble Baldrick has a cunning plan to entice Ross Lyin' back to our club...

Ok, the St.Kilda board masquerade as the Filth! They ring RL up and pretend they are calling from Arizona, and they are keen to get him as coach instead of Buckley...

The next stage of the plan is ingenious - we dress a huge talking pig up in a suit and send it, and a wax mannequin with an extremely empty head and dodgy TAB account.
RL will be duped into thinking this is Eddie and Maxwell, and will welcome them with open arms.

We then grab some dopey surfer dude - who s***s himself at the sign of a big wave - and use him to pose as Daisy Thomas.

Throw in some ugly sailor covered in tatts enticed from the Freo docks(Dane Swan), a slimy gangster from Ben Cousin's old crew(Didak) and RL will be signing on the dotted line in no time.

Then when he flies back to Melbourne, we drive him in a blacked out limo to Seaford - nowhere f****** near Gosches Paddock - and reveal the con to him.

When he laughs, slaps his knee and says, 'Gee, I never knew how much i was gonna miss the saints sense of humour. You got me, boys, let's start training', we tell the prick, 'Sorry, sucked in badly, f*** off back to Freo.'

Then we knock him out and load into a container filled with refugees, and send him back to WA, and drop him off at Sean McManus's house.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Better still find out the Dog's new address out west rent the place next door aND GIVE IT TO LOVETT rent free.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Lyon has done alot for the saints and it is funny seeing the supporters who now seem to think Ross has done nothing good and was a waste at Stkilda.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Sorry ,but departure method was cream on the cake for me. I have never been a fan of his smug autocratic style and have never forgiven him for 09GF, Ball/lovett etc

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Lyon has done alot for the saints and it is funny seeing the supporters who now seem to think Ross has done nothing good and was a waste at Stkilda.
Lyin's sole focus was the now...once he knew the now was done he bailed..

Worst player development record in the last 5 years......couldn't get us over the line......

He WON'T be missed......

start of a new era...that queer walk will blend nicely in Freo

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
desperate saint
Club Player

I am 100% with you stinger and dont get me started either,he has totally trashed himself a prick of the highest order! St Kilda didnt have to do a thing,he actually has no idea how to do things properly! severely ruined his brand of "career coach"this will be the start of his downward spiral.
Feel for Nathan Fyfe and Stephen Hill, and many others he will take all their attacking flair,mark my words

Desperate Saint
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Thousands of Posts now on SS. Ross has been front page and deserves the criticism that has been made of him. There are few supporters of what he did, which was under-handed - not that he was not entitled to do it.

The Club could have stiched it up earlier, but they didn't.

Like lots of others, I was a supporter of Ross and his "perceived" good character. The way that he has handled things is a disgrace to the Saints and the Players. Let's now forget Ross and move on, focusing on the future for the Saints. The Players need all the support that we can give them.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Lyon has done alot for the saints and it is funny seeing the supporters who now seem to think Ross has done nothing good and was a waste at Stkilda.

Worst player development record in the last 5 years......couldn't get us over the line......
Yep.

Lyin was a great tactician, thinker of the game tacitcally and technically with his no nonsense, stats/figures approach saw the game clearly and when he gave post game summaries they were to the point and usually spot on.

I was a massive Lyon fan - think he did a lot of good but one nagging doubt I did have was the development aspect of his coaching. Lyon did coach for the NOW and we will pay the price - its risky. Had we won a flag we'd be saying who cares? but we didnt.......and now the cupboard is bare.

I laughed at how stupid Walls was today defending his "mate" in saying Freo's list is better than Saints so his decision makes sense........ah.....who has overseen the development of this St Kilda list last 5 yrs you moron Walls? dont we hold "mates" accountable when they stuff up?

Looking back is easy but as we do we now know (and hopfefully learn) that we want is a coach who does coach for the now BUT the now also has the responsibility of building the list with an eye to the future - see Malthouse, Scott, Clarkson....ALL have played and are playing kids even on finals. Ross doesnt do that.

Im actually glad we havent signed a 4 year unconditional watertight contract cause I think Ross may have gone the "top up" route for longer than we can really afford......he'd still have walked and claimed it was our fault.

Get Tudor.

“Yeah….nah””
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

Yep.

Lyin was a great tactician, thinker of the game tacitcally and technically with his no nonsense, stats/figures approach saw the game clearly and when he gave post game summaries they were to the point and usually spot on.

I was a massive Lyon fan - think he did a lot of good but one nagging doubt I did have was the development aspect of his coaching. Lyon did coach for the NOW and we will pay the price - its risky. Had we won a flag we'd be saying who cares? but we didnt.......and now the cupboard is bare.

I laughed at how stupid Walls was today defending his "mate" in saying Freo's list is better than Saints so his decision makes sense........ah.....who has overseen the development of this St Kilda list last 5 yrs you moron Walls? dont we hold "mates" accountable when they stuff up?

Looking back is easy but as we do we now know (and hopfefully learn) that we want is a coach who does coach for the now BUT the now also has the responsibility of building the list with an eye to the future - see Malthouse, Scott, Clarkson....ALL have played and are playing kids even on finals. Ross doesnt do that.

Im actually glad we havent signed a 4 year unconditional watertight contract cause I think Ross may have gone the "top up" route for longer than we can really afford......he'd still have walked and claimed it was our fault.

Get Tudor.
I really struggle to find much to disagree with in this post.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Yep. Get Tudor.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
desperate saint
Club Player

In My last life as a farmer we were responsible to leave the "farm"in a better state than we received it!Ross was a miner get everything out he could and giving nothing back, for the long term good of the STKFC! Ross will reap what he sows.

Desperate Saint
stinger
Saintsational Legend

yeah...and...????..i was a thomas fan..still am......lost all respect for lyon a long time ago...nearly a year actually...seeing roo battle one out on the mcg against two..or three filth...2nd grannie it was.......

..the guy's a turd......freo is welcome to him... :evil:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

Yep.

Get Tudor.
f***...i agree with you 100%...the world must have turned upside down.... :wink: 8-)

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Milne and Dal were guns before Lyon joined

And evolved due to age......

Milne had 5 outstanding seasons before lyon arrived....kicking 50 plus in 2002.....
Dal was of course already an all australian and a gun by 2007....

Both at ripe ages to get better at 23 and entering their prime

Goddard......he was 22yo number one draft pick...was he not going to improve???

Misson improved soft tissue injuries

He inherited a core group of 22-25yo top draft picks and future guns

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

BJ said

new coach needs to be- Strong

BUt Core group have their own strength- and skills.. ( or simliar)

Club response
Billy would have liked to see more ansgt
Dermie would have liked them to say nothing.

I believe they did right..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

"Ross Lyon? He's a bad man, a very, very bad man!"

St Lenny
Club Player

What Stinger said :wink:

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:He got us a ruck division ...
Really?

Who?

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Johnny Member wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:He got us a ruck division ...
Really?

Who?
Matthew Clarke

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.