Do we overrate our young guns?!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Do we overrate our young guns?!

Pretty self-explanatory really.

The majority of the wider football community feel that St Kilda has an aging list, with next to no youth to push us through into the next generation. However, we generally believe that we have some quality coming through the ranks, and we expect a number of players to firmly establish themselves as first-team players in 2012 and beyond.

I believe that we actually do have some reasonable young players to call upon. I think that Stanley, Ledger, Siposs and Cripps in particular have all shown plenty. Add in the likes of Walsh, Simpkin and Crocker (who we all have hopes for), and the future actually doesn't look too bad! The difference with us under RL though, is that he didn't seem to persevere with younger players, in the manner that coaches like Chris Scott and Mick Malthouse have this year. I think we could make a more accurate judgment, after we see our younger boys play a number of continuous games in the seniors!

The Saints are coming!
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

The legacy of Lyon I will never forgive him for...wasn't planning for the longterm because he had other plans..think you are spot on ..we may not have to rebuild as long as the socalled experts are suggesting..2 or 3 more years for Roo,Dal,Monty,Fish and BJ ..The window is still open far enough to feel the dawn of a new spring :wink:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Re: Do we overrate our young guns?!

True Blue Sainter wrote:Pretty self-explanatory really.

The majority of the wider football community feel that St Kilda has an aging list, with next to no youth to push us through into the next generation. However, we generally believe that we have some quality coming through the ranks, and we expect a number of players to firmly establish themselves as first-team players in 2012 and beyond.

I believe that we actually do have some reasonable young players to call upon. I think that Stanley, Ledger, Siposs and Cripps in particular have all shown plenty. Add in the likes of Walsh, Simpkin and Crocker (who we all have hopes for), and the future actually doesn't look too bad! The difference with us under RL though, is that he didn't seem to persevere with younger players, in the manner that coaches like Chris Scott and Mick Malthouse have this year. I think we could make a more accurate judgment, after we see our younger boys play a number of continuous games in the seniors!
Yes we do! Compared to other sides young guns, ours have done nothing yet to compete with other 18/19 year old in the comp who are impacting games.

Saintsational Legend

I have no idea whether out kids will be as good as we think, or at least hope, they will be.

However in regards to the majority of the wider football community not rating our kids I wonder just how much they know about them. How many times have they seen them? It's easy to rate kids when they're playing senior footy but not so much when they're hidden away in the VFL.

How many of our kids has Mike Sheahan seen play, and how often? Or Hutchy? Or Mark Maclure? Yet all these blokes and others in the media are quite prepared to come out and bag our youth.

Ultimately they'll probably end up better than the experts think and not as good as some of us think. But I still hope there's a couple of real stars amongst them.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:I have no idea whether out kids will be as good as we think, or at least hope, they will be.

However in regards to the majority of the wider football community not rating our kids I wonder just how much they know about them. How many times have they seen them? It's easy to rate kids when they're playing senior footy but not so much when they're hidden away in the VFL.

How many of our kids has Mike Sheahan seen play, and how often? Or Hutchy? Or Mark Maclure? Yet all these blokes and others in the media are quite prepared to come out and bag our youth.

Ultimately they'll probably end up better than the experts think and not as good as some of us think. But I still hope there's a couple of real stars amongst them.
It's easier to rate other teams youngsters because they actaually get to paly!

saint patrick wrote:The legacy of Lyon I will never forgive him for...wasn't planning for the longterm because he had other plans..think you are spot on ..we may not have to rebuild as long as the socalled experts are suggesting..2 or 3 more years for Roo,Dal,Monty,Fish and BJ ..The window is still open far enough to feel the dawn of a new spring :wink:
I cant see how RL is responsible for the recruitment of our young kids. And yes we do overate them.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Reckon Jack Stevens and Siposs will be stars..Ledger ,Walsh ,Stanley and Cripps have real potential..haven't seen enough of Johnston, Simpkin to have an opinion..Watters [ my early tip for our new coach] or someone else will give these kids a chance to develop..thanks for nothing lyin !! :x

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
St Lenny
Club Player

I think the answer is no, they are not that flash. Have they set the world on fire at Sandy, no. But I think we all know that Lyin along with our ex Thommo, was more interested in developing mature aged rejects. I do believe that last years recruits show promise if bought on properly, only time will tell. But players like Heyne, Lynch, Stanley, possibly even Winmar in my book have massive questions marks over their heads.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:Reckon Jack Stevens and Siposs will be stars..Ledger ,Walsh ,Stanley and Cripps have real potential..haven't seen enough of Johnston, Simpkin to have an opinion..Watters [ my early tip for our new coach] or someone else will give these kids a chance to develop..thanks for nothing lyin !! :x
And apart from Walsh how could these other kids be played more? And who the hell is Stevens?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saint patrick wrote:Reckon Jack Stevens and Siposs will be stars..Ledger ,Walsh ,Stanley and Cripps have real potential..haven't seen enough of Johnston, Simpkin to have an opinion..Watters [ my early tip for our new coach] or someone else will give these kids a chance to develop..thanks for nothing lyin !! :x
And apart from Walsh how could these other kids be played more? And who the hell is Stevens?
Plugger
YHoung kids at many other clubs are impacting at AFL level. Our young kids can't impact at VFL level yat. Why? I don't know. But it can't be a good sign.

When was the last time one of our young guns TORE UP the vfl?

Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Steven ..oh pedantic one..you are a royal pain the arse and any post you contaminate [every second one !!!!]makes it a whole less appealing to revisit !!! :roll: :x

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Steven ..oh pedantic one..you are a royal pain the arse and any post you contaminate [every second one !!!!]makes it a whole less appealing to revisit !!! :roll: :x
Thanks for answering the question. It is far to easy.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

from another thread...
plugger66 wrote:I bet you wouldnt tell him to your fact. Tony Lockett can be an angry man.
Oh dear.

P "glass houses" 66...

Saint Patrick, how dare you get something wrong... :shock: :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
saint patrick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

from another thread...
plugger66 wrote:I bet you wouldnt tell him to your fact. Tony Lockett can be an angry man.
Oh dear.

P "glass houses" 66...

Yep i spelt a word wrong. Do it many times but i dont call Nick Dal Santo, Nick Dal Santos. But you have got me. Wow. I will add you to my list.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Right now I think Ledger and Siposs are both going to play 200+ games, Cripps has shown some serious smarts and Walsh could kick 60 goals as a FF. I can't comment on Crocker as I've seen very little of him, but I have doubts over Stanley and Winmar. Simpkin is an excellent state level player but I feel he won't be more than a backup for the seniors.

Ferguson has potential but is very raw. Curren isn't quite good enough and I've seen basically nothing of Andreoli. Archer is a bit like Simpkin in that he could fill a hole but I don't think he'll ever be a starting 22 player. Johnson deserves a chance because we don't know if his good VFL form will continue in the AFL. From what I've seen of Cahill he seems to have a bit of talent but not enough to make up for his ordinary attitude. Heyne is not going to make it.

They're just my opinions right now. And I consider Steven as a proven AFL player, though I'm not sure if he'll go up a level and become a true gun or just a solid midfield rotation.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
saint patrick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

from another thread...
Oh dear.

P "glass houses" 66...

In facebook language .. "Like " :wink:

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
saint patrick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

from another thread...
Oh dear.

P "glass houses" 66...

Yep i spelt a word wrong. Do it many times but i dont call Nick Dal Santo, Nick Dal Santos. But you have got me. Wow. I will add you to my list.
Actually you got two wrong... "your fact" should have been "his face".

Miles off the mark.

For a long time you have been picking on others for shitty little mistakes to cover up your own inadequacies.

You are a grammatical nightmare, yet when it suits your cause to deflect from another issue, you pick on minor transgressions by others. Stevens is a common mistake by many, as is Reiwoldt and others.

I will add you to my list of - oh hang on you're already top of the pops on THAT list.

The toolshed list.

Really, really tired of reading your crap, as are so many here...

OMG Mick Malthouse has just come on TFS, let us know his current thoughts please from your best mate who is his best man at his wedding vow renewal etc etc...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
saint patrick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

from another thread...
Oh dear.

P "glass houses" 66...

Miles off the mark.

For a long time you have been picking on others for shitty little mistakes to cover up your own inadequacies.

You are a grammatical nightmare, yet when it suits your cause to deflect from another issue, you pick on minor transgressions by others. Stevens is a common mistake by many, as is Reiwoldt and others.

I will add you to my list of - oh hang on you're already top of the pops on THAT list.

The toolshed list.

OMG Mick Malthouse has just come on TFS, let us know his current thoughts please from your best mate who is his best man at his wedding vow renewal etc etc...
Yep as I said i make many errors and are picked up on them. You are sick of me. Well i really couldnt give a stuff. I dont have clue who you are and you dont know me. I do know that you dont know much about footy but hey it is always worth a laugh. By the way I have met MM a few times. His son played at my club for a year and yes i do know many people who play sport. Sorry that I dont live a sheltered life like you may. i actually dont understand how people involved in sport dont know many others in sport. I dont call myself lucky for knowing these people, I call myself a normal sporting involved person.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
saint patrick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

from another thread...
Oh dear.

P "glass houses" 66...

that'd be some list....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Yep as I said i make many errors and are picked up on them. You are sick of me. Well i really couldnt give a stuff. I dont have clue who you are and you dont know me. I do know that you dont know much about footy but hey it is always worth a laugh. By the way I have met MM a few times. His son played at my club for a year and yes i do know many people who play sport. Sorry that I dont live a sheltered life like you may. i actually dont understand how people involved in sport dont know many others in sport. I dont call myself lucky for knowing these people, I call myself a normal sporting involved person.
Yep, another sad reply from a person who knocks up massive possessions on a fan forum...

Deflect back onto my lack of knowledge even though I have presided over a club, albeit a low league, but you know better... :cry: :roll:

Know nothing nobody boot studder but I am sure you are one of those "appreciated nuffies" at your local club. Every club needs blokes like you.

Hang s*** on people you don't know, and you have over the time (and you know it), who have done way more for this club than you could ever dream of doing, but you live it vicariously through what you hear and what you pick up among your young charges and from still umpiring at 50'ish.

I'll add you to my list...

Oh hang on, that's your continuous hilarious line when you have nothing left...

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Iceman234 wrote:
saint patrick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

from another thread...
Oh dear.

P "glass houses" 66...

Miles off the mark.

The toolshed list.

Yep as I said i make many errors and are picked up on them. You are sick of me. Well i really couldnt give a stuff. I dont have clue who you are and you dont know me. I do know that you dont know much about footy but hey it is always worth a laugh. By the way I have met MM a few times. His son played at my club for a year and yes i do know many people who play sport. Sorry that I dont live a sheltered life like you may. i actually dont understand how people involved in sport dont know many others in sport. I dont call myself lucky for knowing these people, I call myself a normal sporting involved person.
I give a stuff because as far as I and many are concerned .. you are a cancer on this forum..so you have met MM ..Who gives a fruckin rats arse!!Had to laugh when someone with 22,000 posts of crap talks about someone else leading a sheltered life..iceman knows more about football than you ever will dipstick...will ignore any future comment from you because I know how important any reaction is to you..like a prank caller ...better just to hang up !! :x
Last edited by saint patrick on Thu 29 Sep 2011 11:11pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

:roll: :roll: :roll:

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

How many posts have been highjacked and ended up as slanging match between 2 posters...is there a common denominator involved ???...give you clue...22,000 of them !!! :roll: :x
Last edited by saint patrick on Thu 29 Sep 2011 11:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

jays
Club Player

i think we dont we havent seen them yet

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote::roll: :roll: :roll:

I consider their eyesight when I don't re-quote beyond two or three quotes...

:lol: :wink: